A T679 with a mixed goods train
PB010006.jpg
555.088 climbs the ladder
Mark
//S
CSD

Re: Mark's Train Set

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:29 am

Good stuff. I like the shelf staging. Also, I recently read somewhere a test between different materials for bedding and the weather stripping you're using came out as most preferred.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby TTSMR » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:19 pm

What type and size weather stripping are you using?

TTSMR

Postby CSD » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:53 pm

TTSMR wrote:What type and size weather stripping are you using?

The size I'm using is 1&1/4" wide by 3/16" thick. I don't remember the brand name, but I don't think it matters. The stuff also goes by the name of sponge rubber tape or some other combination of those terms. It comes rolled up with a paper backing. Doing some of the curves with such a wide strip can produce some ripples in the surface, but you can cut it in half or buy thinner stripping and place it side by side. Ask for weather stripping at your hardware store.
PB020001.jpg
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby CSD » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:09 am

Time for the "let's build it" program. The next 3 weeks are holidays for me. The only task assigned is to complete the main line and staging yards and start running trains from end to end. I'm starting with the section drawn below. The long sides are about 8' in length. This will be the deepest part of the layout at 5' and the first thing people will see when entering the basement. The track will loop around and under itself around an engine servicing terminal (in green) to a hidden helix (depicted in blue) and spiral down to a lower level where it will return back under the upper deck behind the TV and end in staging in the cupboard. The lower level will also feature a branch line with a cement company, small coal mine, and a dead end rural station. Helix construction starts this weekend.
End of Layout Curve.jpg
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:19 am

Not trying to invite myself or anything but I want to hang out in your basement :lol:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:24 am

ConducTTor wrote:Not trying to invite myself or anything but I want to hang out in your basement :lol:

Maybe I'll have to have some kind of last spike ceremony.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby CSD » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:46 pm

Just getting the tracks and turnout motors in place for the staging. This section will be removable for service as it is not accessible from the bottom.

The turnouts required a little weight to stick them down until the caulking set.
PB130001.jpg

PB130002.jpg

When drilling the holes for the motor lever I line them up with the position of the throw bar. Then mark center lines on the back side and use the template supplied with the tortoise. You don't have to be super precise at all.
PB130003.jpg
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby Rich B » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:21 pm

Great stuff! Czechoslovakian railways are full of character, I'm tempted to model them myself. I guess if it's 60s/70s the upcoming 372 isn't much help for you. Will you be making much use of Pavel Ciz's resin castings? A friend of mine has a few of the H0 ones.
Rich B

Postby CSD » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:55 pm

Rich B wrote:Great stuff! Czechoslovakian railways are full of character, I'm tempted to model them myself. I guess if it's 60s/70s the upcoming 372 isn't much help for you.

Well, a good model is a good model. I've got a few things outside my focus and a little cheat in the timeline now and again can't hurt. Perhaps, I can run my layout in a few different eras once I collect more stuff. I'm finding that Czech rails offer a lot of action. Besides the family connection it has connections with Germany, Austria and Poland, interesting prototypes and lots of action.

Take a look at this photo of Brno h.n. It is always busy, 24 hours a day. Its my favorite railway station (better than Prague). Unfortunately, its days are numbered. They are building a new facility to accommodate longer more modern equipment. Also, the old station is up on a viaduct that the city planners feel limits expansion of the downtown (bullshit - its about the development of prime real estate in the middle of the city so that businessmen and city officials can line their pockets. The people in the area do not want this). All of the buildings will be preserved, though.
PA240439.jpg

PA240430.jpg

PB130171.jpg

Rich B wrote: Will you be making much use of Pavel Ciz's resin castings? A friend of mine has a few of the H0 ones.

Yes.
PB140001.jpg

I have some photos of an E499.0 (Bobina) project started at this topic (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=157). I don't know if they come from Mr. Ciz, however. Does he have a website? I have been able to take molds and make some of my own shells as well.

There are also several good kits. You can improve most of them with aftermarket brass detail parts.
PB140004.jpg

If you were to pursue this as a prototype we could nerd out big time.
Mark
//S
CSD

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans