Making Decals for Gold Coast 40'

Making Decals for Gold Coast 40'

Postby Shipsure » Tue May 27, 2014 7:14 pm

So, after a protracted wait thanks to customs, the GC Boxcar kit arrived today. Looks great, more on that later. I did take some time today to finish up the decals for the one I will be building.

I think it will stand out in a bunch of Plain Jane Sp boxcars in the yard. My Alps should handle this pretty well.

More later.
Shipsure

Re: Making Decals for Gold Coast 40'

Postby j p » Tue May 27, 2014 8:06 pm

Hi Joe

You made a nice artwork for a different car :grin:
This artwork does not look quite correct to me if it was meant to be for the Gold Coast kit:
1937 AAR boxcar built in 1957? (it is supoosed to be 1941 or 1943)
The number is wrong. It is supposed to be 33500-33849
Nothing for the ends? At least the road code and number should be there!
+ it is a "foobie". Cotton Belt needs different side pannels. That is only a minor detail. The artwork would work fine on a car if the errors are corrected.

Check this: http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/gallery/boxauto/ssw33841main.html

Jan
j p

Postby Marquette » Tue May 27, 2014 8:18 pm

The art looks good!

But if might I be nitpicky a moment... are you sure this is suitable for a 1937 AAR car such as the GC model represents?

Entirely aside from that, the 9' 1" inside height and 3372 cu. ft. volume strike me as being rather small for a car built in 1957!
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Marquette » Tue May 27, 2014 8:29 pm

j p wrote:The number is wrong. It is supposed to be 33500-33849
Check this: http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/gallery/boxauto/ssw33841main.html

What that page neglects to mention is that that series of cars has a 10' 6" inside height and are 15' to the top of the running board. By contrast, the 1937 AAR car (SP B-50-18 etc) are 10' high inside and are 14' 6" or 14' 7" (depending on series) to the top of the running board.

As for use of the word 'foobie' I probably wouldn't use that word to refer to something where the difference is as minor as rivet pattern but is otherwise fairly close; foobies, per my definition, are the boxcars Tillig did, the sorta-1937 AAR cars with roof walks and full-height ladders painted for Burlington Northern and CSX...
Marquette

Postby Shipsure » Tue May 27, 2014 9:46 pm

Tough Crowd. Foobie? well, I don't have a problem with the term...it pisses off the guys on Railwire Forum so I wear it as a Badge of Honor :P

I know it's incorrect, but for my home layout, I don't have a problem mixing up an ACF and a PS 40' boxcar. I'm more interested in the scheme than the right rivet pattern. I spend all day at Micro-Trains splitting prototype hairs, when I come home, I do what feels good once in awhile. The art is correct for the car style it is on and that was more important than not doing it or scratchbuilding another car. But thanks for pointing it out, others may not be aware of the subtle or obvious differences and can make choices with that information.

Here is the car I was working towards...doors are incorrect as well and I was hoping they would have been separate on the GS kit, but when it showed up today...well, I just decided to go with what I had. I have no desire to mill off the door and scratch a new one...at least on this first model. I just wanna enjoy it dammit :lol: Image But, given the information provided it's just as easy to adjust the art and do something closer.

Thanks for the points and the defense

Joe
Shipsure

Postby ConducTTor » Wed May 28, 2014 12:06 am

Wow - give a guy a break you guys! One of these days I'm going to come up with my own fantasy railroad and decal everything I have for it. So no one can tell me it's wrong :)

P.S.

Love the "Blue Streak" version.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Shipsure » Wed May 28, 2014 12:19 am

No biggie...I welcome corrections and more info. I choose to do with it as I want...or not, we are all learning here. I got excited, jumped, grabbed some art I started for an HO project, scaled it down and finished it up before reading the fine print. I'm kinda schizophrenic with model trains. I live in the world of Prototype at work and for the most part strive for it on my home projects...but every now and then I just do something because it feels right or looks like fun. Part of the nice thing about TT scale is that we all work with what we have and try and make it better. I'm a scratchbuilder, have been for over 30 years and I think this GC box will be my first kit in a long time,and looking forward to an easy build for once.

I really, really like the idea of a freelance railroad and if I weren't so enamored with SP I'd be there right with you. The HO club here in town is a freelanced railroad that ran in a prototypical area on track that was never laid down...but plot drawings were made. It works just fine that way. We mix our freelanced RR with Proto stuff that historically ran in the valley during the 1980's no problem.

So no problem with the critiques or critics, that's how we get better

Cheers

Joe

ConducTTor wrote:Wow - give a guy a break you guys! One of these days I'm going to come up with my own fantasy railroad and decal everything I have for it. So no one can tell me it's wrong :)

P.S.

Love the "Blue Streak" version.
Shipsure

Postby Marquette » Wed May 28, 2014 1:16 am

ConducTTor wrote:Wow - give a guy a break you guys! One of these days I'm going to come up with my own fantasy railroad and decal everything I have for it. So no one can tell me it's wrong :)

My intention is in no way to judge or criticise.

I simply want to share what little knowledge I may have so that it's spread around, and everyone can do with it as they see fit. While I strive for accuracy in my own railway modelling endeavours, I don't hold others to the same standards I hold myself, though I may well point something here or there out; but my purpose there is not to say "you did it wrong!", rather it's more to raise awareness of things one might not have been aware of.

I am, though, a bit more critical if someone comes out saying "I want to sell these" as opposed to "I made this for myself" - my modelling dollar is rather constrained, so I will be a bit pickier when looking at something someone wants to sell me.

For my part, I really enjoy the research aspect of this hobby, and I'd like to learn as much as possible about a subject I want to model. And then, once I've learned as much about it as I deem necessary, I then decide what I'm willing or not willing to compromise on - more willing on some things, less willing on others. I will freely admit that lettering is one of the things I am nitpickiest about (despite my limited funds, there *are* decal sets I've bought that I will not use, because I'm not satisfied with the shape of the letters, for example); on the flipside, I'll much more readily overlook inaccuracies in, say, rivet patterns, or in precise shades of colour (which anyways, colours fade and change as they weather, paints can vary from one batch to the next, etc). But I'd like to know first what is accurate, and then make a decision whether to compromise or not.

So if I point something out, I'm not doing it to give anyone a hard time, rather to share information - with both the modeller and everyone else who might read the given thread. Once I've done that, I'm happy... everyone can do with it as they please.

So long as everyone does one thing with their railway modelling efforts: enjoying their time spent on it. If you're not having fun and not getting anything pleasurable out of it and yet still insist on doing it then I *will* question and perhaps ridicule you! :mrgreen:
Marquette

Postby scaro » Wed May 28, 2014 4:00 am

i'd put my hand up for a set of this decal. it might spur me to make a wagon to put it on! I like the Cotton Belt too.
scaro

Postby Shipsure » Wed May 28, 2014 9:10 am

I think we need a group hug :lol: Also my intention was not to push a decal set I'm not selling, this is for my own personal use...I'd be happy to burn off a few extras to donate to the cause though.

Joe
Shipsure

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models