Making Decals for Gold Coast 40'

Re: Making Decals for Gold Coast 40'

Postby j p » Sat May 31, 2014 6:01 pm

The detail level of HP stuff is not sufficient for 2014, true. The Christoph kit is different, with many nice cast details. Detail level same as GoldCoast boxcars, ladders better, doors better. That is why I mentioned it. The picture I posted in the models section some time ago is too blury, sorry. I want to make one of those as FEC, then I can take a better picture.

re. Lok-n-roll:
Those 3 boxcars are the only available 50' boxcars on their web page right now. Maybe our German friends know more?
They have also some 40' boxcars which are not based on GoldCoast:

j p

Postby Marquette » Sat May 31, 2014 6:46 pm

That 40' car looks like a modification of the Gold Coast car, same roof and ends but sides with the door modified to something that never existed... well, these would be easier to modify to cars with Superior doors than the GC model.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Richard-B » Sat May 31, 2014 8:09 pm

Marquette wrote:well, these would be easier to modify to cars with Superior doors than the GC model.
??? Why would the GCR '37AAR mod be difficult?

I was planning to carve out the molded-in 6ft YSD... and laminate a Superior door from thin sheet styrene sheet and flats, with a row of Archer rivets.
NW-D40254.gif
Superior Door
BTW: Note that the ENTIRE door is only about 3in thick! Most models are very coarse in this area...
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Marquette » Sat May 31, 2014 8:59 pm

Richard-B wrote:
Marquette wrote:well, these would be easier to modify to cars with Superior doors than the GC model.
??? Why would the GCR '37AAR mod be difficult?

I didn't say it would be difficult. I said this would be easier, since most of the materials-removal work is already done for you :P
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Richard-B » Sat May 31, 2014 9:33 pm

Marquette wrote:I didn't say it would be difficult. I said this would be easier
Ahhh... Easy, Easier, Easiest... Got it.
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby scaro » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:21 am

Richard-B wrote:
Marquette wrote:.
NW-D40254.gif
BTW: Note that the ENTIRE door is only about 3in thick! Most models are very coarse in this area...

gotcha. handy to know, though it makes the idea of doing the door as a separate casting a bit daunting, using my crude techniques. an etch might be better.

what i'm noticing with these late 40s - early 1950s cars which had 12 panel welded or 10 panel riveted side pattern, though, is that they didn't bother to respace the panels to make them of equal width if the car was to have a 7' or 8' wide door instead of a 'standard' 6' door.

so, the extra 1' or 2' width in the door meant that the two panels directly either side of the door are narrower than the others. that's what I observe from photos of dartnaught cars, I assume other 1/3/4 dreadnaught end 10'6" IH 40' boxcars were similar in this regard? i'd be interested in comments on this.

@shipsure, yeah, an interest in dartnaughts must amount to 'camping out' ... one of those things that takes you to the margins of the obscure. but there were a lot of them, on a fair spread of roads, and they are still good candidates as they are 'just another 40' boxcar', until you look close.

benjamin
scaro

Previous

Return to Prototypes / Models