Making Decals for Gold Coast 40'

Re: Making Decals for Gold Coast 40'

Postby scaro » Fri May 30, 2014 10:45 am

Joe, were the drawings you had done already correct for earlier boxcars? If so, there'd certainly be a market for one or two sets from this TTer. Cotton Belt's was such a nice scheme.

Regards

Benjamin
scaro

Postby Shipsure » Fri May 30, 2014 5:37 pm

I have both versions I can print on the sheet, I'm just trying to get the dim data under control before I post anything :P I want to have the SP and NWP cabeese decals on the same sheet.

Joe
Shipsure

Postby scaro » Sat May 31, 2014 5:26 am

Marquette wrote:
j p wrote:The number is wrong. It is supposed to be 33500-33849
Check this: http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/gallery/boxauto/ssw33841main.html

As for use of the word 'foobie' I probably wouldn't use that word to refer to something where the difference is as minor as rivet pattern but is otherwise fairly close; foobies, per my definition, are the boxcars Tillig did, the sorta-1937 AAR cars with roof walks and full-height ladders painted for Burlington Northern and CSX...

i think usage of the term 'foobie' should be narrow. in the 'foobie file' on this site i hopefully restricted entries to cars or parts thereof, that have no 1:1 equivalent in this plane of existence, ie, things that are 'beyond rescue'.

that would include the Atlas 1932 DS rebuilds, where the combination of features equates to no car that existed or Athearn's 'wrong way' diagonal roof, ie, pretty well unfixable.

i do not count things that can be modified to depict something real; we in TT especially should know ... beggars can't be choosers.

last night i was looking at mr hawkin's RMJ article on dartnaught boxcars. workaday yet distinctive boxcar owned by a number of the smaller class 1s that many like. table's here:

http://www.trainlife.com/magazines/page ... 90-page-55

from beggar's banquet to 'sympathy for the devil' time ...

if RTR modellers requested one and i were moldmaker at the manufacturer, i wouldn't be happy. i also wouldn't be seeing an awful lot of my wife, kids, or significant others according to your taste, during the development phase.

in addition to the distinctive end, to get any decent range of roadnames you'd need two side castings- 10 panel riveted and 12 panel welded, both rectangular panel and diagonal panel roofs, and both 6' and 8' doors. and a 7' door if you want to do all versions, assuming you care about the likes of Tee Pee Willie.

this is why i've got no interest in RTR in TT. bags of bits would achieve my purpose more easily. so folk can say, 'wow, what scale's that ?' and then the model club know-it-all can chime in and put the cherry on the bun with an 'OMG, he even got the door right on the Tee Pee Willie version.'
scaro

Postby Shipsure » Sat May 31, 2014 10:02 am

When you start considering something like the Dartnaught Boxcar you know you are standing out in the weeds in model railroading :P Welcome to the field! I've only been working with TT for a very short time so what I don't know about this scale is Legion. On my own time, I'm less worried about rivet pattern or the nuance of boxcar ends then trying to get some cars on the track so I can present the possibilities of the scale at shows I attend. But it's good to learn about all the differences and the points made were welcome. At work I attempt to marry the need for a colorful scheme with the proper car body style and even with our inventory it can be difficult. In a scale like TT if you are finicky about proto and scheme it seems a monumental exercise in frustration with limited options outside of scratchbuilding. It was interesting the the one available 40 Boxcar would be a 37' Acf and a car that's popular with SP and it's cousins...most other scales always lead with the PS1...so in that respect, at least for early modelers it was a great choice. Anyway, your point about tooling is a good one, even if you want to create a modular system, as you pointed out, you would be launching a encyclopedic endeavor and one that would drive you into the ground financially.
Shipsure

Postby Marquette » Sat May 31, 2014 11:49 am

I do believe (but am not 100% certain) that the motivation for choosing the 1937 AAR car was was exactly the SP...

It *could* be a monumental exercise in frustration and sometimes is... but I try not to let it be.

And I try to look at upsides.

We have three boxcars available RTR or in kit form - the 1937 AAR and the 40' Fowler from Gold Coast and the CN's clone of the USRA single-sheath design from Rail TT, and then there's the CP-design 36' Dominion car from Bill Dixon. This is a good start! If we overlook the 'minor' details (trucks, running boards, hand brake wheels, underframe), then we can have 37 railroads (plus 4 private owners) represented with just the 1937 car alone! And then several more with the 40' Fowler, CN and AC with the Rail TT car (and overlooking some other small details, with the Rail TT car we can also do SP, T&NO, Ferrocarril del Pacifico/SP de Mexico, CB&Q)... the Dominion car as it is is really only good for CP and SOO because of the uneven arrangement of the angled braces, but if you overlook that then there are several more options...

With some minor kitbashing (making new ends and/or roofs), there is a rather large number of further options we can exercise... with some heavier kitbashing we could even make a 50' version of the 1937 car...

So there definitely is a lot we don't have and a lot we need (more all-steel cars for example, and double-sheathed cars), but we shouldn't overlook the fact that there is already a fair bit that we can achieve reasonably accurately with a bit of effort.

I doubt (North American) TT will ever be like HO or N where you can get RTR everything and even ready-to-use buildings and whatnot... but I'm quite certain we can get to where S scale is - niche, but not impossibly daunting. And I think that would be a good place to be.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Richard-B » Sat May 31, 2014 12:03 pm

The difference between "foobie" and "stand-in" is purely perceptive;
Each modeler dials-in their tolerance for variance from the prototype.

Some of my pet peeves:
  • Center-cupola caboose (so-called Eastern style) lettered for Western roads (AT&SF, SP, UP)
  • Billboard reefer schemes on inappropriate cars
  • AB brakes on pre-1930s cars
  • UP herald and Armour Yellow applied indiscriminately to "anything with wheels"
  • Unique lettering on generic car; Generic lettering on unique car
The stand-in grey areas:
Box cars:
  • PS-1 or 10ft-6 prototypes modeled using 10ft-0 '37AAR
  • wrong ends, roof, rivet pattern etc
Reefers:
  • Wrong length, wrong door, wrong door width
  • Mismatched car and paint job
Tank Cars:
  • 10k or 12k gallon cars modeled using 8k cars
  • using the same frame/bolsters for all manufacturers (UTC, ACF, NATC etc...)
Gondolas:
  • Wrong number of panels / Wrong length
    (sub-case) Wrong panel spacing
As always; YMMV...
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby j p » Sat May 31, 2014 4:09 pm

We have some more boxcars in TT than what Marquette mentioned. At least the double sheathed 40' from Christoph or E. Smith is worth to mention.
Cardboard printed-side cars in many schemes, 36', 40', 50'

50' boxcars from Lok-n-roll
j p

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sat May 31, 2014 4:20 pm

I may be wrong here, but my understanding of the reason for the 1937 car was that Gold Coast was able to convince Terry Wegnan to downsize his master for what became the Intermountain O Scale car to TT.
Tom Dempsey

Postby Richard-B » Sat May 31, 2014 4:34 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:I may be wrong here, but my understanding of the reason for the 1937 car was that Gold Coast was able to convince Terry Wegnan to downsize his master for what became the Intermountain O Scale car to TT.
I think so...
Remember.. John Verser had the masters done (by Terry?) for this same car in HO for IMWX, and in S-scale for PRS (Pacific Rail Systems).
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Marquette » Sat May 31, 2014 5:28 pm

j p wrote:We have some more boxcars in TT than what Marquette mentioned.

The 'ancient' stuff I left out on purpose, I have some HP stuff at hand and it would be easier to scratchbuild something relatively accurate than to try to use those kits.

I didn't know about the LnR cars (though to be honest what I can see from the photos, it looks pretty underwhelming... but at least they look like a 50' PS-1... I see a few different doors there, what all is available?)
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models