Making Decals for Gold Coast 40'

Re: Making Decals for Gold Coast 40'

Postby j p » Wed May 28, 2014 12:55 pm

My intention was to point out errors as early as possible in order to help Joe and avoid later disappointment.
When I make decals, I appreciate all comments and suggestions. I often don't have any drawings or good quality photos. The earlier in the process the errors get corrected the better. It is too late to find out when the car is finished - because then the correction means removing the decals and paint and starting over.
I remember the disappointment when I assembled the Christoph double-sheathed boxcar just to find out when it was finished that it had no prototype. Then I transformed it into Pennsy X23-foobie car with several errors.

It takes the same time to make it wrong as to make it right. So why not make it right from the start?
PS car's artwork on AAR 1937 boxcar just does not feel correct. The difference of Cotton Belt's modified AAR 1937 from the original AAR 1937 is acceptable though. It is not difficult to adjust the artwork to a more correct prototype and that was my point.
I like the artwork and I would like to see it on one of my boxcars if Joe is willing to share the vector file :)

If Joe or anyone else who has ALPS wants artwork for any of the decals I made, please feel free to ask.

Jan
j p

Postby Richard-B » Wed May 28, 2014 3:51 pm

Even thought I'm both a dyed-in-the-wool Espee type... (and that extends to SSW & T&NO)
AND have a low tolerance for outrageous foobies... I have some sympathy for Joe here.

Until we get a "reasonably accurate" 40ft PS-1 in TT-scale... the '37AAR may need to be the stand-in for a number of 40ft cars, including post-war "improved", '44AAR, and PS-1 variants. YMMV.

Note that while the PS-1 was fairly ubiquitous, the only 40ft PS-1s in the SP family were the ones purchased by the Cotton Belt. (as shown in Joe's post). This makes them sort of a must-have.

I'm trying to restrict my own '37 AARs to a selection from the 57 or so "original" owners... their repaints, and their successors.
This is actually relatively easy, since half of my '37s are SP... and half the rest other western roads (ATSF, UP, etc).

So-far (from Jerry Glow, Greg Komar and Dan's Decals) I can cover "real" 37AARs from ACL, CofG, CGW, GM&O, M&StL, P&LE and SAL (Plus a number of stand-ins...)

NOTE to Self: Repaint/Sell BAR - State of Maine!!!
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby j p » Wed May 28, 2014 4:24 pm

Richard-B wrote:Even thought I'm both a dyed-in-the-wool Espee type... (and that extends to SSW & T&NO)
AND have a low tolerance for outrageous foobies... I have some sympathy for Joe here.

Until we get a "reasonably accurate" 40ft PS-1 in TT-scale... the '37AAR may need to be the stand-in for a number of 40ft cars, including post-war "improved", '44AAR, and PS-1 variants. YMMV.

Note that while the PS-1 was fairly ubiquitous, the only 40ft PS-1s in the SP family were the ones purchased by the Cotton Belt. (as shown in Joe's post). This makes them sort of a must-have.

I'm trying to restrict my own '37 AARs to a selection from the 57 or so "original" owners... their repaints, and their successors.
This is actually relatively easy, since half of my '37s are SP... and half the rest other western roads (ATSF, UP, etc).

So-far (from Jerry Glow, Greg Komar and Dan's Decals) I can cover "real" 37AARs from ACL, CofG, CGW, GM&O, M&StL, P&LE and SAL (Plus a number of stand-ins...)

NOTE to Self: Repaint/Sell BAR - State of Maine!!!

Richard, your post worries me. Fortunately I have not started my PS-1 yet.
Is PS-1 from Elmer/PVM not reasonably accurate? Or what is wrong with it? Please tell me before I assemble the kit so I can try to fix it. I think that it is better to use PS-1 kits for PS-1 models and AAR37 kits for AAR37 models.
j p

Postby Richard-B » Wed May 28, 2014 4:51 pm

j p wrote:<snip>Is PS-1 from Elmer/PVM not reasonably accurate? Or what is wrong with it? Please tell me before I assemble the kit so I can try to fix it.
As with Beauty... "Reasonableness is in the eye of the beholder"

I just have not been not a fan of both the level of detail, and the construction. They -ARE- the only PS-1 available. I would recommend you use them as intended. I have a couple of the 50ft ones... but keep hoping a better representation of these cars will be created in TT. They are under-rostered in my inventory.
j p wrote: I think that it is better to use PS-1 kits for PS-1 models and AAR37 kits for AAR37 models.
Agree 103%... Now; What do we do for "other" 40ft cars? e.g. '44 AAR 10ft-6 IH cars with improved dreadnaught ends?
http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/prototype/frtcars/postwaraarpdf.html
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby areibel » Wed May 28, 2014 10:37 pm

Richard-B wrote:
j p wrote:<snip>Is PS-1 from Elmer/PVM not reasonably accurate? Or what is wrong with it? Please tell me before I assemble the kit so I can try to fix it.

I just have not been not a fan of both the level of detail, and the construction. They -ARE- the only PS-1 available. I would recommend you use them as intended. I have a couple of the 50ft ones... but keep hoping a better representation of these cars will be created in TT. They are under-rostered in my inventory.

And you forgot one thing Richard- They're no longer available!
areibel

Postby j p » Thu May 29, 2014 3:41 am

areibel wrote:
Richard-B wrote:

And you forgot one thing Richard- They're no longer available!

Maybe harder to find, but it is possible to get them.
j p

Postby Marquette » Thu May 29, 2014 8:37 am

Richard-B wrote:Note that while the PS-1 was fairly ubiquitous, the only 40ft PS-1s in the SP family were the ones purchased by the Cotton Belt. (as shown in Joe's post). This makes them sort of a must-have.

Yes.

Richard-B wrote:So-far (from Jerry Glow, Greg Komar and Dan's Decals) I can cover "real" 37AARs from ACL, CofG, CGW, GM&O, M&StL, P&LE and SAL (Plus a number of stand-ins...)

Don't forget NP is doable too with Jerry Glow's set for that rebuilt car. Also CN and CP in multiple schemes from Black Cat.

Shame Greg Komar isn't doing decals anymore, I liked what I saw of his sets.

j p wrote:Richard, your post worries me. Fortunately I have not started my PS-1 yet.
Is PS-1 from Elmer/PVM not reasonably accurate? Or what is wrong with it? Please tell me before I assemble the kit so I can try to fix it. I think that it is better to use PS-1 kits for PS-1 models and AAR37 kits for AAR37 models.

Unfortunately I don't have any, though I wouldn't mind one of the 50' ones... from what I saw of them they were the best-looking of the PVM boxcars.

IIRC though the PVM 40' ones had that double door thing with one sliding and one plug door? That would I think really limit its use, like, both in terms of time period (late 50s or early 60s and on? I dunno exactly when plug doors became common) and in terms of lettering (I don't believe many roads got this door arrangement?).

Richard-B wrote:but keep hoping a better representation of these cars will be created in TT. They are under-rostered in my inventory.

Well, Art+Detail has been announcing several variations (door arrangements) of 50' PS-1 for quite a while... hopefully they come to pass soon.

Richard-B wrote:
j p wrote: I think that it is better to use PS-1 kits for PS-1 models and AAR37 kits for AAR37 models.
Agree 103%... Now; What do we do for "other" 40ft cars? e.g. '44 AAR 10ft-6 IH cars with improved dreadnaught ends?
http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/prototype/frtcars/postwaraarpdf.html

That's a question I've been pondering a long time. I'm not sure I've come up with an answer besides "make a new kit".

At least for 1937 cars and for 1944 cars with a 10' inside height (I'm looking at you, SP...) it's as easy as making new parts for ends or roofs or doors as needed... though swapping doors would be a more serious surgery than roof or ends, of course.

So in general my plan for dealing with 1944 cars and different flavours of 1937 car and PS-1s and whatever else is... put them on the Grand Master List and wait. I've got plenty of other things on my build list to deal with. Eventually someone will make a kit for these cars or I'll make them myself when I get around to it. Until then I'll do without.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby areibel » Thu May 29, 2014 1:25 pm

j p wrote:Maybe harder to find, but it is possible to get them.

Well, you can say the same thing about Faberge Eggs or Stradivarius violins, but that doesn't mean a normal person can go out and buy a couple! :lol:
areibel

Postby j p » Thu May 29, 2014 5:55 pm

areibel wrote:
j p wrote:Maybe harder to find, but it is possible to get them.

Well, you can say the same thing about Faberge Eggs or Stradivarius violins, but that doesn't mean a normal person can go out and buy a couple! :lol:

That may be true, I am not a "normal person". I am a TT-nut! Thank you for the compliment.
j p

Postby Shipsure » Fri May 30, 2014 1:25 am

Ok...so I am re-working the drawings having found an proto with the larger block Cotton Belt lettering which brings it up to my era. Will repost tomorrow. :wall: Getting clear shots of the dim data has been an effort but I think I got it licked.

Joe.
Shipsure

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models