Looking for advice - milling machine

Re: Looking for advice - milling machine

Postby Richard-B » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:57 pm

MacG wrote:MICRO Mill MF 70[/url] is also good for small model work. Here is also a CNC-ready version of this mill available.
I have the little Proxxom MF-70... and next step is to CNC it.
So far... it handles TT-sized components well... but I have not tried milling a full engine frame (yet).
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Bernd » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:29 am

First I'd like to say that I have no affiliation with Sherline, just a very happy customer. Also when I bought my mill I ordered the full blown CNC plus conversion to horizontal mill package. It was not cheap. I also bought the CNC rotary table. If I remember right the price tag came close to $4,000.00.

http://www.sherline.com/8540pg.htm

Here's a set of pictures showing the breakdown of the Horizontal setup and then setting back up to Verticle milling machine.

I'm setting up to cutout the truck bolsters for the TT archbar trucks. I'll continue it the Archbar thread as I make these bolsters.

http://www.ttnut.com/tt-scale-archbar-trucks-t2587.html

Bernd
Bernd

Postby oldtrainguy » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:27 pm

Found a link to an interesting machine called OtherMill from a company called Other Machine.

From some of the video's on the web site it looks interesting. The size of the work area seems quite small but it would probably do for most model train projects.

Also, it looks like you can only buy it in the US. Not sure why that is.

https://othermachine.co/
Don
oldtrainguy

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:48 am

I almost purchased one of these during the crowd sourcing/funding phase, however, it will not do undercuts so would be of limited value for model trains. Great for etching PC board circuits without etchant though, which is what the designers originally had in mind. You can also cut chocolate with it, yummy.
Tom Dempsey

Postby Bernd » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:36 am

It's a high priced engraving machine on the design order of a 3D printer. Not a very versatile machine.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Richard-B » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:10 am

Bernd wrote:Not a very versatile machine.
On the other hand...
It might be well-suited to doing flat molds in aluminum for a small injection molding set-up.
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Bernd » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:40 pm

Richard-B wrote:On the other hand...
It might be well-suited to doing flat molds in aluminum for a small injection molding set-up.

Yes, that it could. The Sherline has an airspindle attachment for engraving. I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I need to get a 50ft hose to pipe in compressed air from the garage. That's one thing on my to do list before the snow flies. I'd like to give flat molds a try. I have some cars in mind. Have been gathering information on them.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby oldtrainguy » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:15 am

Tom, I have basically no experience with cnc milling machines so I don't understand why not being able to do undercuts would prevent it from being useful for model trains. I also don't know that much about undercuts but I was under the impression that was something you don't want when making molds.

Could you help educate me on these subjects.

Thanks
Don
oldtrainguy

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:25 am

BTW, I've gotten the answer I was looking for in regards to this topic. So, any and all discussion is fine with me as long as it's about milling or other machining.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Tom Dempsey » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:27 am

Well Don, in regards to making a flat mold as Bernd is suggesting you wouldn't want to make undercuts as Aluminum is not very pliable. However, an RTV mold can be made with slight undercuts since the mold can flex slightly coming off the master and when the casting is removed. My original comments were directed toward actually cutting a frame, etc. where the particular machine in question would be, in my opinion, severely limiting in available cut options. However, there are many ways to skin a cat, I just suggest that limiting your access to all available cut axis to save $480 in initial purchase price may not be the best long term way to go in building a shop. When I evaluated this machine, I determined that the bed has no availability for tilt or for that matter movement at all. In addition, the cutter is not "unlockable", i.e. it's cutting at 90 degrees all the time. In addition, the available cutting area is rather small. As you may note, I am a self educated machinist so some of these terms may not be technically correct, however, please look back at Alex's original purpose for a mill and note that I think his purpose would be undoable without undercuts. By the way, I discussed a similar job with the original design engineer at Other Machine and he agreed with me that the Other Mill would be unsuitable for the application.
Tom Dempsey

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion