Long Shank Knuckle Couplers?

Long Shank Knuckle Couplers?

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:47 pm

Does anyone know of any long shank knuckle couplers that would work in TT scale?

We are looking into the prospect of fitting out some of our passenger cars with knuckles, but the overhang on the cars above the coupler, especially the diaphragm is making coupling a little difficult when using the "standard" Kadee couplers.

Any suggestions?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: Long Shank Knuckle Couplers?

Postby MacG » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:17 pm

MTL has some. Whether if they are longer than the Kadee I don't know. I don't think so.

At the passenger cars from John Harmon I will use the original self-centering metal sheet and mount on it an MTL-Coupler (normal shank).
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:26 pm

I really do not care if the coupler has a fixed knuckle,as little shunting is done with passenger cars.

So, perhaps I should try to sculpt a useful coupler and make resin copies of it.
AstroGoat760

Postby areibel » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:53 pm

The problem will be when you try to run them on a "normal" TT radius they might just roll over if the coupler can't pivot. That's why John H. designed that brass pivot plate to mount the couplers to with his kits. The entire coupler box could swing through the curve. You could mount a Kadee or MT coupler box to a thin brass strip and mount it with the truck mounting screw.
Kemtron made a brass knuckle dummy coupler that looks good and has longer shanks, you'd have to beat the bushes to find some though..
areibel

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:12 pm

areibel wrote:The problem will be when you try to run them on a "normal" TT radius they might just roll over if the coupler can't pivot. That's why John H. designed that brass pivot plate to mount the couplers to with his kits. The entire coupler box could swing through the curve. You could mount a Kadee or MT coupler box to a thin brass strip and mount it with the truck mounting screw.
Kemtron made a brass knuckle dummy coupler that looks good and has longer shanks, you'd have to beat the bushes to find some though..

Then beat the bushes to find an example I shall!
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:57 pm

Searching through my parts inventory, I found a couple pairs of long shank knuckle couplers, and one is fitted to my Possum Central E-7A, and so far it works good on Tillig Bedding track. I am going to complete further testing, and photos/videos will follow soon, once I am fully satisfied with the results.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:15 am

The long shank coupler has worked out quite nicely so far, as I have a freight train coupled to the HP E-7A that I have been restoring, and it is running on 310mm curves quite nicely.
AstroGoat760

Return to General Discussion