Lok-n-Roll 0-6-0 Switcher Kit

Lok-n-Roll 0-6-0 Switcher Kit

Postby Bernd » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:28 pm

The kit arrived today, Thursday (3-31-16). Less than a week from putting in the order to receiving the kit. Impressive. I'll add to this thread as I critique and put the kit together.

The package.

Two boxes containing the parts all wrapped up.

And the parts removed from the bags.

I'll have more tomorrow some time. Just got home a hour ago and don't have time to post the complete pictures and critique.

Bernd
Bernd

Re: Lok-n-Roll 0-6-0 Switcher Kit

Postby Bernd » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:54 pm

The following is my opinion from close examination of this kit. If this kit had been sent to either Model Railroader, Model Railroad Craftsman or any other major magazine to review I'm sure it would haven gotten a review to similar of what I'm about show and explain.

First negative about the kit is that there are no instructions. Even a set of instructions in German would have been helpful. Second this is not a kit for a beginner or intermediate modeler. I think even an expert would have trouble with this kit.

So let's start with the super structure. I believe the material is a resin of some sort. Looking at the cab end you can see a piece of crude brass angle connection for the tender to hook into.

The castings for the tender trucks are nice looking castings. Although what ruined it for me was the way the sprue was ground of. Second, since this is a solid casting I don't see anyway of installing the axles. Bending the trucks to get the axles in would surely spell disaster.

The wheel wiper component was packaged in a very small plastic bag. It took several minutes using tweezers to get the part out and then the metal parts were somewhat bent up because they got hung up on the sides. A bigger bag is recommended, such as the what the other parts came in.

Two points to point out here. A, notice how warped the side of the cab is? B, the crude tender coupling does not sit squarely across the opening.

The crudeness of the tender coupling, B, plus the warped sides, A, makes for a very disappointing model super structure.

Another view of the tender coupling.

Next I tried to mount the shell on the chassis. It wouldn't fit do to the warped cab side. The tender coupling bar was holding the cab sides in, thus causing interference with the motor brushes.

Once the bar was removed the shell would fit on the chassis, almost.

Next I tried to mount the shell on the chassis with the screw supplied. I had to move the chassis forward to line up the screw hole with the screw, the back end would not sit inside the cab due to some shell interference which I have yet to determine.

A close inspection of the wheels sets shows that these are not new wheels from the wheel wear they show.

It is my opinion that this motor was from another engine that had a double shaft. Said shaft was crudely cut off with a grinding disk. The disk has cut into the bearing. Makes me wonder how long the motor will last with grinding dust in the bearing.

So there you have it. The pictures should provide proof of what I have written. I'm very disappointed in the quality of this kit. I would not recommend it unless you want to spend $318.27 to totally rebuild the engine kit.

This is what a quality kit should look like. It is a model of the Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes 2 foot narrow gauge in HO. The engine is probably a tad smaller than a TT scale model.

Pictures of the brass SR&RL courtesy of Katsumi Yamamoto a manufacturer of this brass kit.

That is all I'm going to post about this kit. You may not like what I have written. That's fine. It's my opinion. If you want to form your own opinion of this kit I'd be more than happy to sell it you for the stately sum for $318.27 USD.

Regards,
Bernd
Bernd

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:24 pm

The pictures speak for themselves....
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bernd » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:17 pm

ConducTTor wrote:The pictures speak for themselves....

Yes they have. Unfortunately it's the truth. I mean no harm to Lok-n-Roll, but if TT scale is to survive and even thrive the quality of the products need to be worthy of the cost. I believe if a beginner who had thought of getting into TT had bought this kit they would have been turned away from TT scale forever. If this makes me a bad person in the eyes of the members of this forum, then so be it. If I get banned from the forum speaking the truth so be it. I am also on several other forums that I can post this on.

What should happen now is that the product needs to be improved. Hopefully some good will come of this post. I am willing to help out with ideas for improvement on such products.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:08 pm

I would contact Lok N Roll and suggest ways to improve. They've shown improvements with previous products that had short comings - specifically the GP9/F7 chassis/mech. And I think at THIS price point criticism is justified. This is not about detail/prototypicalness of a low priced product. It's about basic functionality. Yes it's a kit. But at the price, used wheel sets and rough parts are not good enough.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby modorney » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:23 pm

That's a shame - but I'm glad you posted the pictures of the Maine two footer.

That looks like a fine kit.
modorney

Postby ctxmf74 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:28 pm

" If this makes me a bad person in the eyes of the members of this forum, then so be it."

Hey, I'm grateful you are walking the point so I can hold back til it's safe :>)
and I'm really curious how they expect you to get those wheelsets into those trucks? ......DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:38 pm

I am a bit disappointed that the kit turned out to be as such, as I was planning on getting one if it was a kit worth buying to add to my newer TT fleet.

That being said, Bernd, your honest and thorough review is much appreciated. Hopefully the bugs get fixed and we have another good loco for North American TT fans can enjoy.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Bernd » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:32 pm

I am quite disappointed also.

Thanks for kind words about the review I gave. I hope the bugs get worked out also. We can only hope.

Bernd
Bernd

Return to Lok-N-Roll TT Scale Models