Loco Frame - Truck Gearing

Re: Loco Frame - Truck Gearing

Postby sd80mac » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:25 pm

Here's an in-progress view of what I shooting for:

This last image is the truck assembly after a few more revisions have been made:

Donnell
sd80mac

Postby ConnRiver » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:47 pm

Donnell, I could swear last week I posted a "Nicely done" here, but I don't see it. Anyway, nicely done ;-)

The spur gear wrapped around the axle, is that called . . . an axle gear? Maybe there's a different term. Are we going to find such a thing ready-made, do you think?

The other day I printed the 89-page "Guerrrilla guide to CNC machining, mold making, and resin casting" online publication by Michal Zalewski. The pub is aimed at hobbyist robotics but a ton of useful stuff for we rail types. In it, Michal describes gear cutting and casting. I'm going to try it; if it doesn't work for the application, then it doesn't. But I'll give it a shot.

Anyway, if I get to the point of offering drives/locos for sale, they'll be test driven before they go out the door to make sure all works and sounds (noise-wise) properly.
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby MacG » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:41 pm

ConducTTor wrote:MTB has a longer wheelbase truck as well which is ~9'. You can try to buy from MTB directly or talk to TT-West or Zeuke-TT.

The axle spacing of the 9ft MTB truck is ~22,7 mm (in real 8' 11 1/4"). I think, it's close enough.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we are shipping worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby sd80mac » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:57 pm

ConnRiver wrote:Donnell, I could swear last week I posted a "Nicely done" here, but I don't see it. Anyway, nicely done ;-)

The spur gear wrapped around the axle, is that called . . . an axle gear? Maybe there's a different term. Are we going to find such a thing ready-made, do you think?

The other day I printed the 89-page "Guerrrilla guide to CNC machining, mold making, and resin casting" online publication by Michal Zalewski. The pub is aimed at hobbyist robotics but a ton of useful stuff for we rail types. In it, Michal describes gear cutting and casting. I'm going to try it; if it doesn't work for the application, then it doesn't. But I'll give it a shot.

Anyway, if I get to the point of offering drives/locos for sale, they'll be test driven before they go out the door to make sure all works and sounds (noise-wise) properly.

Hi Brian,

Axle gear is what I named the design file when I drew it, and it is very similar to Athearn's 12T axle gear. I reduced the axle diameter from 2mm to 1.5mm, and I am thinking of doing the same for all of the gear axles.

I have known about the "Guerrrilla guide to CNC machining" for sometime now, and the information found there is priceless! My Sherline isn't setup for CNC, however, my plan was to 3D print a master (of really good quality, something better than Shapeways), and make a mold for resin casting copies.

Donnell
sd80mac

Previous

Return to Prototypes / Models