Loco Frame - Split v Standard and motors

Re: Loco Frame - Split v Standard and motors

Postby Richard-B » Mon May 16, 2016 1:06 am

Bernd wrote: I like the "tank drives". Eliminates the gear towers in the shell.
Interesting!
I'm exactly the opposite; I much prefer the gear towers, since it keeps all the monkey motion out from underneath the engine.

Commercial production has seemed to favor gear towers over tank (cardan shaft) drive at a ratio of at least 100:1.

A definite case of "YMMV"!!! ...or as the French say "chacun à son goût"
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby ConducTTor » Mon May 16, 2016 9:25 pm

@ConnRiver I find the Mashimas are bit stronger. Also I dont like the electric posts being on the side like the Atlas motor - that requires the power wires to be run on the side and with the non existant width in a TT hood, I dont want to deal with that.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConnRiver » Tue May 17, 2016 10:51 am

ConducTTor wrote:. . . I prefer the Mashima 1024.

Do you prefer it to the MA 1224? I ask, because it appears the 1224 is the largest motor that will fit under the hood of a TT scale diesel. But maybe it doesn't fit well, is that why you like the 1024? (I've yet to get my hands on a Mashima. Can you recommend a source?)

Brian C. / Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby ConnRiver » Tue May 17, 2016 11:44 am

TiTan downunder wrote:http://www.zephyr.dti.ne.jp/~katumi60/index.html

Ian, do you know more about the organization at the above address? The email button does not work for me. And "zephyr" portion of the address makes me wonder if the end entity is Mashima or another company/individual.

I wish to discover what it would entail to become a Mashima wholesaler in order to supply motors for TT loco builders. Or, perhaps, Richard-B, you through TT-West would be interested in doing this with financial input from those of us who wish to make power units? (Just thinking out loud. . . .)

Thanks. -Brian C. / Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby ConnRiver » Tue May 17, 2016 11:55 am

areibel wrote:http://www.ttnut.com/gp38-2-etched-chassis-assembly-t2137.html

Al, nicely done instructions/tutorial by Elmer. Pardon me for not knowing, but have you a running GP38? If so, are you pleased with the outcome?

I've perused the micro-loco-motion site before but found I cannot stomach those prices. Today, I found a UK site that sells MA 1224's for U.S. $22.

The thing is, I'd like to find a rock-solid source, one that will sell wholesale to a small-time manufacturer and never runs out of supply, which is why I worry about purchasing from an eBay source.

-Brian C. / Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby TiTan downunder » Tue May 17, 2016 10:24 pm

Brian

http://www.zephyr.dti.ne.jp/~katumi60/index.html

That is Mashima's web site -

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby areibel » Wed May 18, 2016 7:14 am

Hi Brian,
I have the one "original" style assembled by Elmer plus another to build sometime, and I've got one of the Lok N Roll chassis too (all three still needing paint and handrails, naturally!).
The fold up chassis seems to run well, but I think it could use a tad more weight. Elmer had some small flywheels made for the PVM diesels I was going to try to add in version #2, and I had thought about making a cast whitemetal version of the fuel tank to replace the resin one. It would add a little extra weight and it would be down low right between the trucks but that's unfinished project #387. I think I could cast them in a hi temp silicone mold and pour them, John Harmon had suggested a spin mold but I've heard Bowser is getting out of that business and I'm not sure of anyone else around here that does it.
And in my foggy memory I can remember corersponding with someone about the Mashima motors- It might have been Geoff drom Hollywood foundry (maker of the Bull Ants). I think he was the one that said the Mashima 10-24 is actually a little better motor than the 12-20 or 12-24, I think there was a chart that showed they have had a little more torque than the bigger ones? Don't trust my memory on this, but you could probably email Geoff and ask, he knew more on it than I do. Not sure why a slightly smaller motor would perform better, it must be the amount of magic contained inside the case?
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Wed May 18, 2016 7:56 pm

Brian, the 1024 is slightly smaller but has the same power rating so it's my preference.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Prototypes / Models