Lionel GP9 improvement

Lionel GP9 improvement

Postby richardedmonds » Sun May 02, 2010 10:25 am

Anyone know what existing N/HO detailing parts would be usefull to improve the basic Lionel geep into something a bit more up market. I was thinking the fans on the roof would be an ideal candidate as would making the steps a bit more accurate but anything you guys can come up with would be good.
Thanks for any help.
Richard
richardedmonds

Re: Lionel GP9 improvement

Postby Marquette » Sun May 02, 2010 11:46 am

For the fans - Miniatures by Eric's 48" N scale fans fit perfectly as 36" fans in TT, and they're pretty nice; I've used them on my GP and on my BL2. Larger N scale or smaller HO scale lift rings. Air hoses, MU cables etc... best bet is this: take the body in with you to your LHS and peruse their selection of N scale detail parts, and see which will look best size-wise! Also: there's etched mesh that could be used to improve the vents on the sides.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby richardedmonds » Sun May 02, 2010 4:24 pm

Thanks Marquette unfortuately London property prices mean that my local hobby shop is now anywhere in the World that can supply it. However that Canadian chap looks like he can supply most things I need so will oder parts in a minute. Thanks for the nod on those parts though as I was not aware of his offerings and they do look nice.
richardedmonds

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun May 02, 2010 7:34 pm

There is also the handrail fret set from PVM, if he has any left, that is.... It has better handrails, as well as some detail parts that would go a long way in making a nice model, including the shades seen above the side windows of the cab.

Taking pictures of it is hard to turn out right, due to the shininess of the handrail set, I do believe I have a picture of it in one of the GP-9 threads.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby richardedmonds » Mon May 03, 2010 6:57 am

Thanks angry, I just happen to have a set of PVM handrails from one of the kits where I just adapted the lionel base to accept the drive mechanism. That would look better, there was also a nickel silver etched fret produced in Germany years ago for the GP9 low nose job that might be better still if there are still any kicking around I used to have one here but don't know where just now. Thanks for all the input
richardedmonds

Postby richardedmonds » Wed May 05, 2010 3:02 pm

I have to thank marquette on this improvement topic. I got some of those Archer transfers today on his earlier advice and WOW! what a simple way to drastically improve a basic model. I am hooked already on these transfers and I only just got one sheet out of the packet so far
richardedmonds

Postby richardedmonds » Wed May 05, 2010 3:22 pm

I need to draw on some of you rivet counters (sorry) knowledge on these Lionel geeps. Now I think somebody said that the Lionel as is, is more probabaly a GP7. I want to model N&W 675 which is a GP9 that has single roof fans as opposed to the two fans on the Lionel as well as a dynamic brake. Can anybody point me in the direction as to where I can get more specific info on the roof of a GP9. I can get all manner of side photo's but can't find any of the roof. These new archer transfers have fired me up to do something better than I normally would attempt and I need some help.
Thanks guys
richardedmonds

Postby areibel » Wed May 05, 2010 4:19 pm

Hi Richard,
I'll email a friend, he's a N&W diesel guru and a rivet counter to boot! He may be able to supply a roof shot. I'd bet the panels are the same size as on the Lionel, but with the single 48" fan in place of the two 36". My big plan is to file off the panels, then use a piece of thin cardstock with Archer rivets to reproduce them. Or I may use paper, I read a good article a while back. It suggested taking a regular piece of copier paper and cutting the piece to size. Then wet it with ACC, it supposedly turns the paper into a very thin piece of plastic sheet. You might even be able to emboss the rivets into the paper then soak it down and save the Archer step? As long as I remember to put a piece of waxed paper underneath it first!
The fans themselves aren't a huge problem- they're a stock 48" fan from that era, an HO scale GP7 or early phase GP 9 can supply all you need. The 36" fan in HO comes out to about 49 1/2 inches in TT, if that's close enough? The dynamic blister looks to be the hard part, we're going to have to beg Carsten to do another run of his, they look great!
The lovers on the doors are different between the Lionel and the actual- that might be fixable with the Archer parts. I bought some of their N scale louvers, I think they might work with a little fiddling and some paint. I couldn't find a side shot of the 675, but several others are on George Elwood's site. And there are a few other small items- filling the louvers on the second to the last door, filling in the (simulated) openings in the side sills and moving the horns. Looks like a project but I have faith in you!
It would be nice if we had standard GP sized doors with the louvers on them, I don't really like the way Lionel rendered them. Maybe we can talk Brian into doing a door first in his GP project (Brian, you listening?)!
areibel

Postby ctxmf74 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:53 pm

richardedmonds wrote:Can anybody point me in the direction as to where I can get more specific info on the roof of a GP9. I can get all manner of side photo's but can't find any of the roof. These new archer transfers have fired me up to do something better than I normally would attempt and I need some help.
Thanks guys

What you need more than roof details is some archer correct cab transfers :>) These lionel geeps are pretty pathetic when it comes to fidelity to the real thing but they actually capture the essence of the beast pretty well.
Here's some old roof shots of a GP18 which are about the same as a late GP9...dave
http://pweb.netcom.com/~ctxm/gp18roof1.jpg
http://pweb.netcom.com/~ctxm/gp18roof2.jpg
ctxmf74

Postby richardedmonds » Thu May 06, 2010 2:57 pm

thanks Dave could not find a roof picture like that anywhere. Al your ideas are very much in line with mine, I have already played a bit with the copier paper idea and it does seem to work as will the louvres etc etc etc. Will order up some HO parts and take it from there when they arrive. Thanks for both of your inputs ---Richard
richardedmonds

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models