Lionel conversions

Lionel conversions

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:29 pm

For those of you that have done the Lionel conversions, would you mind sharing some details of the process and posting pictures if you have any?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Lionel conversions

Postby areibel » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:21 pm

It's pretty simple, the PVM kit has everything exept the couplers. The only tricky part is with the TIllig power trucks, the combination bottom plate/ sideframes has cast on detail that needs removed. You neeed to put a piece of fine sandpaper on a block of wood and thin them down. The sideframes from the Lionel diesels are used, you need to cut them off of the plastic dummy trucks and sand the backs of them too. If you're careful, they turn out very nice.
Then the sideframes are glued on (ACC) to the truck base. Assemble the trucks, mount the motor with a little black RTV silicone, position the trucks and drive shafts and the chassis is done.
To mount the body, there are a couple plastic pieces that get glued into the metal shells. They are used as screw blocks, the screws go up from under the chassis into the blocks - mount the couplers (I used Microtrains 1025, N scale couplers) and it's done!

Other guys have used the old Kemtron power trucks, but they're hard to find. Hollywood Foundry makes the Bull Ant power trucks that would work too.
areibel

Postby member13 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:37 pm

Do those come with window inserts? All the pictures I've found have open windows like this
member13

Postby areibel » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:27 pm

The Lionels come with a clear plastic insert, but it doesn't look great. It doesn't fit in flush with the window openings like it should.
I didn't put the insert back in mine, I want to try and use Future floor wax or Micro Clear to make a better looking window (when I get to it!)
Al
areibel

Postby member13 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:45 pm

areibel, have you tried the inserts from the bttb or tillig Nohabs? I'm curious if they would be a good fit since I have a couple of the bttb versions that are just waiting to be used for spare parts.
member13

Postby jmass » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:59 pm

does anyone know if the conversion kits come with lights. cant tell from the photos.also would n scale dcc decoders fit in these frames. thanks
jmass

Postby 1 tt guy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:19 am

Looking at this photo it doesnt look like they come with lights:

You can view a little more at this page (where the photo comes from): http://www.ttscale.com/members/pvm/pvm_part.htm

The lights however are pretty easy to do. There are plenty of LEDs being sold on ebay (usually marked for HO scale) that are cheap and easy to put in as long as you can solder. Here is an example auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/10-White-3mm-LEDs-w-RESISTORS-for-18V-DCC-Headlights_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a4Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1240Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a200QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem5633202aa1QQitemZ370224933537QQptZModelQ5fRRQ5fTrainsQQsalenotsupported
1 tt guy

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:42 am

HA! I actually bought LEDs from that exact seller! Yes, very easy to put in - no diodes required. What I like to do with the LEDs is put shrink wrap tubing around them and cut it right at the tip of the LED. This keeps the light from coming out the sides and lighting up the cab. You just place the front of the LED exactly in front of the headlight plastic and voila. I haven't done a Lionel conversion but this has worked well whenever I've added or modified the lighting on anything.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:57 pm

BTW, the LEDs I bought will light up fully with like 2 or 3 volts and come with resistors to keep them from blowing with higher voltages. You'll have to read the descriptions fully before bidding.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:04 am

Here is a project that I want to complete, but I am not sure where start:

I have one of the 1:120 Lionel locos, except that it is a Norfolk and Western J-Class 4-8-4 #600. Nicholle loves the N&W, so I got it for her, and now she wants to see it run.

I would appreciate ideas on how to make it run.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models