Lionel conversions

Re: Lionel conversions

Postby RodTT » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:55 pm

I've got the trucks mostly assembled but the wipers are pesky little items. To fix them in place, I'm inclined to quickly apply a soldering iron to the little pips they fit over. What do othes do?
RodTT

Postby Rich1853 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:23 pm

I think a soldering iron will have too much heat. A small flat blade screwdriver heated to mushroom the the ends IMO would be better. Or try something tacky between the wiper and chassis for instance RTV.
Rich1853
Greetings from Melbourne, Florida USA
On the Space Coast of Florida
Rich1853

Postby TiTan downunder » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:06 pm

ACC / superglue.

It's also a lot easier if you turn them upside down. Unsolder the wire, flip the wiper over and resolder. Positioning the wire is critical. This puts the wipers lower down against the wheels and I find it makes it a lot easier to hold things in place while you the gear cover plate clipped on.

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby RodTT » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:21 am

Thanks for the tips both. Glue sounds like the way to go. And turning the pickups round is a great idea.
Meanwhile, using various drills, files and a hacksaw blade I've made some holes in the chassis to get the trucks through. They still need tidying up a bit. As it is, the trucks move freely but are a nice snug fit without the worm housing on (no pickups on yet either). Looks like I can fit the worm housing on from the top so I don't have to widen the holes to push it through. Does this seem like the best way? Having said which, maybe the square sides of the holes will need widening a bit to provide enough sideplay.
P1050356.JPG

P1050358.JPG
RodTT

Postby Rich1853 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:44 am

RodTT wrote:....maybe the square sides of the holes will need widening a bit to provide enough sideplay.
P1050356.JPG

P1050358.JPG

Do you mean arc of travel around the centerpoint of the axis.
Rich1853
Rich1853

Postby RodTT » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:05 pm

Rich1853 wrote:
RodTT wrote:....maybe the square sides of the holes will need widening a bit to provide enough sideplay.
P1050356.JPG

P1050358.JPG

Do you mean arc of travel around the centerpoint of the axis.

Yes.
RodTT

Postby Rich1853 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:09 pm

Compare the angular travel to what diesels you have in your fleet. Looking at mine the short BTTB T435 appears to have the smallest travel probably the same as my BTTB 118, 130 and Tillig 218, the Tillig 229 is larger still and the Roco 233 appears to have no stops. For actually numbers I will have to trace the wheel angular location to the longitudinal center line of the locomotive and measure the angle with my protractor.
Rich1853
Rich1853

Postby RodTT » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:43 pm

Rich1853 wrote:Compare the angular travel to what diesels you have in your fleet. Looking at mine the short BTTB T435 appears to have the smallest travel probably the same as my BTTB 118, 130 and Tillig 218, the Tillig 229 is larger still and the Roco 233 appears to have no stops. For actually numbers I will have to trace the wheel angular location to the longitudinal center line of the locomotive and measure the angle with my protractor.

I've just checked one of my MTB SW1200s (the only TT locos I have) and their trucks don't seem to have as much rotational play as I've got with the GP9. But I suppose the thing to do is make sure they negotiate the curves on my layout before finalising everything. I don't think I have a radius less that 15in.
Another question that occurs to me is - should I allow a bit of 'slop' in the circular hole holding the cylindrical part of the truck tower or is it best to have as tight a fit as is compatible with free rotation?
RodTT

Postby TiTan downunder » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:37 pm

Rod

Check the dimensions on my fantastic drawing for the U30b chassis.
resources/image/12903

I start with a 9.5mm hole then open the rectangular area out to allow as much side play as needed for the bogie (truck) to swing. DO NOT open the hole out too far especially when cutting in the rectangular opening, otherwise the bogie will not stay in the frame.
The worm housing has to fit FROM the top to hold the bogies (trucks) in. The pick-up wires run up the channels in the side of the gear cases and the " ears " on the worm housing hold them place and also hold the bogie onto the chassis frame.
You may need to add a packer between the chassis frame and the worm " ears " to stop the bogies dropping too far down when you lift it off the track otherwise the cardan shafts might dislodge and " he-no-go "

The MTB system is different with their bogies being held in by the wire spring clip and pivot on the cast in pimple fitting into the dimple in the chassis frame.

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:48 pm

Stick the trucks (with wheels) in the chassis and place them on your tightest curve. If the wheels don't stay in the tracks, widen the front of the square opening.

You can give the circular opening a smidge of play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models