Lionel conversions

Re: Lionel conversions

Postby CFRiad » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:00 pm

RodTT wrote:As Sir Arthur Streeb-Greebling (aka Peter Cook) said, 'I have learned from my mistakes and I'm confident I can repeat them all exactly'.

My motto...
CFRiad

Postby RodTT » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:07 pm

In the end I bought a Zimo MX648 sound decoder and a sugar cube speaker measuring 15 x 8 x 4.5mm and installed them at either end of the motor. The supplier preloaded the Zimo GP9 sound project for me. It's not particularly loud with this tiny speaker but ok for my small layout room. It could be hard to hear a week on Saturday at my next show.
The factory settings are a bit weird, at least to my mind - a lot of moving with the engine just idling then it seems to kick in almost randomly, and a lot of momentum. And imagine my surprise when I pressed F2 and a steam whistle sounded! But I daresay it will be easy enough to tweak.
I painted the insides of the cab number boards black but the light still shines through them.
I was a bit apprenhensive as this was my first sound installation, but overall I did a neater job than with my first GP9. All the wiring is soldered to the PCB on top of the motor, and everything just squeezes into the narrow body shell.
This time round I used the truck frames sent to me by Ian (Titan), which were an excellent fit apart from having to file quite a lot away from the rear one to clear the back end of the fuel tank.
P1050698.JPG

P1050699.JPG

P1050701.JPG

P1050702.JPG

P1050708.JPG
RodTT

Postby MacG » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:08 am

I think the sugar cube is so quiet because of the closed metal shell and the chassis. A better place for this would be the fuel tank. You can remove some material from the bottom of the chassis and/or from the inside of the tank.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Previous

Return to Prototypes / Models