Lionel conversions

Re: Lionel conversions

Postby areibel » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:53 pm

Very well done!
areibel

Postby RodTT » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:26 am

Received my second Lionel GP9 from the States today - only took five days to the UK! I went for SP this time.
Of course, that can mean only one thing - another order for Sebnitz! Something to do as the autumn draws in, along with my Siggis hi-cube. Fun or what?
RodTT

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:10 pm

Nice write up - thanks man!
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby RodTT » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:07 pm

I am about to start on my second Lionel conversion. This time I'm thinking of installing DCC sound. Can anyone suggest a decent sound decoder, sound project and speaker combination? I'll be doing as I did before, i.e. using the existing Lionel plastic chassis.
RodTT

Postby MacG » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:00 am

I use the discontinued Tsunami-1000 decoder and the sugar cube speaker. I would suggest a wired Econami decoder, but they don't have one anymore. The current Tsunami-1100 is expensive. An alternative is the ESU LokSound 5 micro with a sugar cube speaker (included in delivery).

ESU EMD 16-567C prime mover
ESU EMD 16-567B prime mover

In the UK you can easily buy an ESU LokSound Select micro. In Germany, we have no official dealer for it. But they have different sound files. You have to use the LokSound Select library.

In both cases, you can send the article number of the sound file to the dealer. They will load the sounds into the ordered decoder. Mostly for free.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby RodTT » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:12 pm

Thanks for that.
I also note that Zimo do American sounds, and their decoders are a bit smaller than the Loksound ones. Does anyone have any experience of their sound offerings?
RodTT

Previous

Return to Prototypes / Models