Lionel 1:120 Scale model locomotives.

Re: Lionel 1:120 Scale model locomotives.

Postby richardedmonds » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:28 pm

Catt the possum valley F3B has a very similar power unit to the F3A which is again very similar to the GP9 power unit. The Bull ant would work ok in an F unit as you have more space to play with. I would be interested though to see what you and angry come up with though
richardedmonds

Postby Alwyn Cutmore » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:58 pm

I am new to this group and was reading this thread with interest. I model the PRR in HO and N but have been thinking of building a small layout in TT. I do not have a problem with getting rollingstock as I would simply make my own and get another Mate to convert the N Scale trucks to TT. I have enough PRR plans to make a variety of cars and cabin cars but the loco side seems to let it down. The PRR had F3 A & B units and GP9 A & B units. Now comes to the tricky bit. I believe I can have quality mechs made in TT as I already have them made in HOn3.5 which is 12 mm
gauge. The biggest issue I have is that I have to do minimum runs of 50 units. Before I commit I would need to talk to my manufacturer to gauge his willingness to manufacture in another scale. Food for thought. I would be interested in the feedback. I am about to retire from manufacturing model trains in Australia and will have some time to fill in fiddling.
Alwyn Cutmore

Postby TiTan downunder » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:29 pm

Hello Mr Cutmore.

Talk to me at Liverpool. I can show you a couple of motorised Lionel units, some of the currently available rolling stock, freight car trucks, etc all in TT scale.

I am on stand 34, near the exit to the live steam rides.

Ian Alce
TiTan downunder

Postby areibel » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:38 pm

Welcome!
I would be interested, especially if they're kits! There are a lot of possibilities in the "standard" EMD 9 foot wheelbase truck, pretty much every four axle road locomotive built from the 50's to the 80's. The main change was in the total wheelbase over the years, they gradually stretched it so if it was a kit or something easily convertible it would be a hit. And I think our other manufacturer from down under was thinking about doing a locomotive that they might be helpful for as well- Ian?
There are also some locomotive shells on Shapeways (along with a few other pieces of PRR rolling stock) that could be powered as well. Please keep us informed!
Al
areibel

Postby Alwyn Cutmore » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:53 pm

Hi Ian,

Sorry won't be at Liverpool. Would love to see some of your models. It was good to talk to you on the phone just now.
Regards
Al

Hi Al, They would be made RTR to fit the model. Scale size trucks. I have looked at Shapeways but I am not a fan. I prefer the good old scratchbuild or composite manufacture of patterns. Detail parts done in RP wax for a better finish and then produced in either Lost Wax Castings or White Metal. I will have a look for the PRR rollingstock on Shapeways but I do believe that I can do a crisper model of a X28 or X29 using plastics. I am looking forward to the interest in mechs.
Alwyn Cutmore

Postby Bernd » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:16 am

Like Al, I'm interested to. I would like to also see composite manufacture of patterns. As you say they are much smoother.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby j p » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:12 pm

Could we move the posts not related to Lionel models somewhere else?
I am happy to see someone interested in PRR. I have 2 of the Lionel PRR models motorized - GG1 and F3.
I would be interested in PRR cars and engines if you decide to make some. The X29 and X29B on Shapeways are not finished. I asked the designer some time ago to rescale his N scale models to TT. When I ordered them, I found out that there were some errors on them. Some of the errors were fixed since then, some other errors not. Maybe I should try to contact the designer again and see if he would fix the rest (doors and rivets). I would prefer if he could make it into a flat kit. The ends and the roofs could be used for other boxcars too.
Here are some pictures of my shell for X29B boxcar.

- Jan

X29B_side1.jpg

X29B_roof.jpg

X29B_end1.jpg

(I'll fix the orientation of the pictures)
j p

Postby Alwyn Cutmore » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:33 am

j p wrote:Could we move the posts not related to Lionel models somewhere else?
I am happy to see someone interested in PRR. I have 2 of the Lionel PRR models motorized - GG1 and F3.
I would be interested in PRR cars and engines if you decide to make some. The X29 and X29B on Shapeways are not finished. I asked the designer some time ago to rescale his N scale models to TT. When I ordered them, I found out that there were some errors on them. Some of the errors were fixed since then, some other errors not. Maybe I should try to contact the designer again and see if he would fix the rest (doors and rivets). I would prefer if he could make it into a flat kit. The ends and the roofs could be used for other boxcars too.
Here are some pictures of my shell for X29B boxcar.

- Jan

X29B_side1.jpg

X29B_roof.jpg

X29B_end1.jpg

(I'll fix the orientation of the pictures)
JP I am a slobbering Pennsy freak. That in a nice looking X29. I believe it is a Shapeways kit. I would be happy to start a PRR thread.if others do not mind.
Regards
Al.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Alwyn Cutmore

Postby rick773 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:58 pm

Are the Lionel Big Rugged 1:120 models available anywhere at a reasonable price? I have 7 of them for display purposes and want to know if it is feasible to complete the collection of the other 11. I have gotten my 7 on eBay at prices between $5.20 and $10 a unit but others appear to be listed (and not selling) at higher prices.
rick773

Postby areibel » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:22 pm

Hi Rick, and Welcome!
I have found them at train shows, usually priced at $5 or so but most of the ones I've gotten came from Ebay too. I wasn't after particular road names, and after paying too much for the first couple I was getting them for the same price as you- between $5 and $10. I look at them from time to time, and a lot of the same ones seem to be constantly relisted (like the one currently up that is trying to sell three of the empty tins for $30 plus shipping, I've thrown out a fortune!).
If you see one that keeps getting relisted, I'd contact the seller and make an offer. I'd bet most of them son't know much about trains, if they find them they look on ebay to see what they're listed at and try to sell them for that. If you offer them $8 or $10 plus shipping they might think about it!
Al
areibel

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous American TT Scale Models