Lights for HP Consolidation.

Lights for HP Consolidation.

Postby Murad » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:22 pm

Just finished repairing my consolidation and wondering if anybody did the lights for any HP steamer? I think it's enough place inside the locomotive to put it there.
Which lights do the steamers usually have in the US? Just white in front and red on the back?

By the way. I really need the front truck (or just the wheels) for consolidation =) It you have one - would be glad to buy it =)
WTB any of the HP Products locomotive parts
Murad

Re: Lights for HP Consolidation.

Postby Rob M » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:13 pm

Not sure about the lights but if this is the right truck for the consolidation you can have it. I'll throw it in with the gondolas when I send them.
Rob M

Postby Murad » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:59 pm

Started to drill the hole for the front led light, so there is no way back =) will post some pictures of the process as soon as i finish it =)

How many front lights does the american steamer usually have?
Murad

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:00 pm

Most HP locomotives have no provision for a headlamp, notable exceptions being the MUs and the E-7's.

Most North American steam locomotives had only one headlamp, although some had two (a few examples had more). Few North American steam locomotives had red headlamps. The Union Pacific FEF series is a good example of a class that does have a red headlamp.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby areibel » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:32 pm

It is hard to put a light into an HP locomotive (as you are discovering!).
The only one I've seen was done a little differently. They drilled out the headlight casting back into the boiler but not as far as the mounting screw. Then they used a smaller bit (about 2-3mm. it looks like) and drilled at an angle back past the mounting screw and into the boiler cavity. They used a small "grain of rice" bulb mounted in a short piece of brass tubing the same diameter as the original headlight. One of the wires is cut short and soldered to the inside of the brass tube, another wire is fished through the small hole back to the motor leads. They use a little clear epoxy to mount the bulb in the brass tube (and form a lense), then the brass tube is pressed into the first hole. The bulb uses the boiler as it's negative terminal, so the longer wire needs attached to the same wire that comes from the tender. He used a milling machine to drill the first hole so it was straight, and he filed the outside end of the tube so it looked more like a headlight. I'll see if I have a picture of it, I don't remember if I have a close up shot or not. And I don't know how it would work using an LED, I haven't used them yet!
Al
areibel

Postby Murad » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:07 pm

areibel wrote:

Actually, I've been thinking about the same type of powering up - to use boiler and a wire from the motor. There is only one issue with led's - they work only in one direction because they are diods. So this way it will light up when the locomotive moves forward and it woun't light up when the locomotive moves backward.
Murad

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:14 pm

Murad wrote:
areibel wrote:

Actually, I've been thinking about the same type of powering up - to use boiler and a wire from the motor. There is only one issue with led's - they work only in one direction because they are diods. So this way it will light up when the locomotive moves forward and it woun't light up when the locomotive moves backward.

In most cases that would not be a problem, as many steam locomotives, including those that I have ridden personally, the headlamp is typically extinguished when reversing for any period of time. Some steam locomotives have a second headlamp either on the cab roof, or on the tender, to allow for greater visibility when reversing.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:28 pm

Here are a few examples of the two main methods used for having a secondary headlamp for tender locomotives.

Here is Sumter and Choctaw #103, a 2-6-2 that was on display at the Valley Railroad, at Essex, CT, now at the Railroad Museum of New England. The cab has a reverse facing headlight on top of it.

Another example is the former Birmingham and Southeastern #97, a 2-8-0, which is presently operational at Essex, CT.
The reverse facing headlamp is mounted on the rear of the tender.
AstroGoat760

Return to Prototypes / Models