Lighting the inside of Auhagen Klingenberg-Colmnitz station

Lighting the inside of Auhagen Klingenberg-Colmnitz station

Postby dileTTante » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:09 am

This model by Auhagen is waiting to be installed on a layout. In the meantime I want to add lighting to the interior which means modifications to keep the light from shining through the plastic walls and through the cracks in the roof, etc. I'd like to have it appear that some rooms are still dark while the rest of the interior is lit up. I don't know what the inside of th station looks like. There are photos on the internet of the station but nothing showing the interior. Of course it's not critical but it bothers me not knowing. Does the entry lobby area extend to the roof, for example, or does the second level cover all the first level? Or is there actually a second level? Anyone know?
Thanks.
-Terry C
Attachments
auh13220.jpg
dileTTante

Re: Lighting the inside of Auhagen Klingenberg-Colmnitz stat

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:54 am

From my experience with Auhagen, there is no interior - just one big open space. You would need to make your own walls.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:34 pm

I own the kit of this station. If you need I can make the photo tomorrow
Arseny

Postby dileTTante » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:14 pm

Thanks. I guess I wasn't clear about it. I have the kit, I know what it looks like. It's built and waiting to be installed on the layout. I know the station is empty inside. I want to partition the inside realistically or at least approximately realistically. I want to know what the rooms are like inside the real station. It wouldn't matter if I used the station as is but I want to put lighting inside and don't want the whole thing to glow. I want it to look like some of the rooms are dark. It's okay, I can fake it.
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:33 pm

Here are the images I could find - nothing of the interior unfortunately. http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=kli ... a=N&tab=wi

Maybe asking on one of the German forums will yield better results.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby railtwister » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:00 pm

Just keep in mind that in order for lighted plastic structure kits not to glow like something from 3 Mile Island, Chernobyle, or now Fukushima, their plastic walls need to be light-proofed. One of the best ways to do this is to line the inside of the walls with tin foil, but adhesive can be a problem, possibly causing warping. Another method I have used is to airbrush a couple coats of aluminum colored paint on the inside, allowing each coat to dry thoroughly before applying the next, followed by a coat of flat black. The aluminum paint actually has tiny particles of metal in it which do a good job of blocking the light, the black reduces glare. I suppose if you want proper interior colors, they could be applied over the coat of flat black, but some pastels may have a hard time trying to cover black. All of this should be done after the basic building is assembled (since paint will interfere with most plastic glues), but before the outside is painted or windows applied (if they are separate castings). Be sure to box off a few rooms to look like rooms where the lights are turned off, since few buildings will have every room illuminated.

Bill in FL
railtwister

Postby dileTTante » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:47 pm

Thanks for the tips. I had some possible methods in mind to try. I worked in movie industry and still have some black bags made of flexible plastic used to package rolls of movie film to help keep them light safe. I thought of using this stuff to line the walls, especially the roof, but was concerned the black would diminish the lighting too much inside. Then the alternatives got complicated.
railtwister wrote:Be sure to box off a few rooms to look like rooms where the lights are turned off, since few buildings will have every room illuminated.
Bill in FL

This is what I was planning to do and why I asked about the interior of the real station.
dileTTante

Postby Arseny » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:32 am

Look here; just in time: Klingenberg-Colmnitz in real life:
http://forum.modelldepo.ru/showthread.php?t=8441
Arseny

Postby Arseny » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:53 am

...and the photo of Klingenberg-Colmnitz station inside today:
Attachments
pic_sta472.jpg
pic_sta472.jpg (12.71 KiB) Viewed 298 times
Arseny

Postby dileTTante » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:23 am

Arseny, thanks for the photos. I didn't notice your 29 July post. That's why I did not respond until now. The interior photo is helpful. I suspected the central portion had high ceiling and the ends had two levels. This picture confirms it and will be good enough to use. The exterior photos are useful, too. I imagined something different. Thanks again.
-Terry
dileTTante

Return to Prototypes / Models