Light Rail in TT?

Light Rail in TT?

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:22 pm

After some discussion with CaTTwoman281 about how the last train show went, and our preparations for the 2020 National Train Show, the discussion went towards "light rail" TT, namely Trolley Cars, Interurbans, and Speeders, as we have a motorized bogie that could be used for one of those three items.

Has anyone else built any "light rail" items in TT that could be made to operate? Right now we are gathering information on what to do with our motorized bogie, as well as anything else that we could do up for the 2020 NTS to help stand out.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: Light Rail in TT?

Postby Rich1853 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:04 pm

Tillig makes a Tram Track System (StraBenbahngleissystem) in HO and HOm / TT in both paving stones and concrete bed plates. They also have a transition track (83132) to go from the tram to the model track. I have a few of the concrete bedding tracks for the front and inside of my locomotive shed and maybe a railroad crossing or two and some transition tracks too. It's all listed in their Gleis-Katalog
Edit
also in their two separate catalogs
https://www.tillig.com/eng/strassenbahngleis4.html
There is also a pdf file that could be downloaded with the underline hyperlink 'here'
Last edited by Rich1853 on Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich1853
Greetings from Melbourne, Florida USA
On the Space Coast of Florida
Rich1853

Postby Bigelov » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:12 pm

I have thought about light rail, my son loves trams and is a frequent commuter in Melbourne. There has been a resurgence in light rail in recent years with lines (in Australia) opening in Canberra, Sydney, Newcastle and a large network on the Gold Coast near Brisbane. But I think I am too busy modelling other things to head that way at the moment. Being urban they would need a lot of buildings towering over them.

I do have a N scale Tomytec chassis that I was going to try and convert to 6.5mm for a railmotor. Easier said than done, but they may be able to be converted more easily to 12mm. They can be bought in a range of sizes.

On Shapeways there are a lot of TT scale trams. Most of these are European, but if you find a more local model that you like, the designer may be able to offer it in TT also. Or you could scratch build one to a design you like.
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:58 am

Rich1853 wrote:Tillig makes a Tram Track System (StraBenbahngleissystem) in HO and HOm / TT in both paving stones and concrete bed plates. They also have a transition track (83132) to go from the tram to the model track. I have a few of the concrete bedding tracks for the front and inside of my locomotive shed and maybe a railroad crossing or two and some transition tracks too. It's all listed in their Gleis-Katalog

Thanks, that is something worth knowing for an option for the display.
AstroGoat760

Postby j p » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:14 pm

There were some old interurban kits made of metal.
I have not assembled any of them yet. They need some identification first to find the prototypes. The parts seem to be for several different interurban cars.
Any interurban expert here?
j p

Postby Arseny » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:36 am

As concerns trolleycars, as I know, Karsei Modellbahn produces some models in TTm (i.e. 1:120 scale, 9mm gauge)
They produce (or produced some days ago?) Gotha trolley cars, but I could not find any info on their own site.

Also Raetzmodellbau (http://www.raetzmodellbau.de/ ) produced Tatra Kt4D trolley caar kit: http://www.raetzmodellbau.de/Kt4-Tram-Fotos.htm

Also as I know Grell produced some toy trolley cars in TT scale, you can kitbash and motorize them.

Some links for the information:
http://12mm.ru/viewcard.php?id=62!61!73 ... 1!31!30!2f
tramway-exhibition-in-saint-petersburg-t1699.html
Last edited by Arseny on Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arseny

Postby MacG » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:25 am

Taxari built a subway car a few years ago. The shell comes from Shapeways. It is suitable as a freight carload.

ImageUS exhibition diorama 12 by Jörn Pachl, auf Flickr

He is currently working on a New Haven railbus (Mach FCD) and a streetcar.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:32 pm

MacG wrote:Taxari built a subway car a few years ago. The shell comes from Shapeways. It is suitable as a freight carload.

Nice
AstroGoat760

Postby Rich1853 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:46 pm

MacG wrote:Taxari built a subway car a few years ago. The shell comes from Shapeways. It is suitable as a freight carload.

Been on those subway cars going to 9th & 10th grade high school, baseball and hockey games, college and concerts
Still have the NYC subway map from 1959
Rich1853
Greetings from Melbourne, Florida USA
On the Space Coast of Florida
Rich1853

Return to General Discussion