Postby ConducTTor » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:40 pm

Bananas are still legal over there?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Liability protection

Postby Bernd » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:46 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Bananas are still legal over there?

ROFLOL
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:05 pm

So Brian, what are you telling me? Should I not sell these to the forum members or anybody else that wants one?

Just asking before I decide what I'm going to do. Sounds to me like a scare tactic, but then I may be reading to much into it. But that's me.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby TiTan downunder » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:25 pm

OK, hadn't thought about this angle at all but, now your getting me worried! Should I cancel my little China project? I know everything sold in California has to have a label saying it causes cancer but, otherwise I assumed it would just need the usual label saying not suitable for under 14 year olds, don't eat / swallow the product, etc, etc.

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby Tom Dempsey » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:40 am

FOR PETE'S SAKE, this paranoia is insane. Imagine if you will, some judge staring at the moron who took you to court to prove that you sold him or her something that they are incompetent to use. NO ONE in the hobby business ever gets sued, even a nuisance suit. It's the nature of the beast that no model railroader ever wants to go on record as being insufficiently craftsman like, even though more and more of them all the time seem to bend over backwards to avoid building something in a craftsman like manner.
Tom Dempsey

Postby Bernd » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:50 am

No paranoia here. I'm continuing on with the 25 jigs I started.

Reflecting back on this subject. ConnRiver (aka Brian) had an interest when I developed the resin track. IIRC he made mention of working on some track components. He then did not show up for a while on the forum until I started developing the track jigs. Now that I'm near to getting the finished product out the door he asks whether I have a S-corp or LLC and if I have a tax number. Rather strange he only asked me. Why didn't he ask Shipsure ( aka Joe) if he has a S-corp or LLC or a tax number to sell his laser kits or is it that he is associated with Micro-Trains Line? How about any of the other vendors on the forum. Why did you pick me out of the bunch to post what you said? Inquiring minds want to know.

There's one thing you need to understand. I'm not doing this for money. I'm doing this to get TT back on track (pun intended). If I have to I'll just make the jigs and give them away.

Now back to work to finish what I started.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Richard-B » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:26 am

TiTan downunder wrote:<snip> now your getting me worried! Should I cancel my little China project?
I agreee with Tom... no need for paranoia! Beware of the tax and customs agents... not the lawyers!
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby ConnRiver » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:51 pm

Bernd wrote:So Brian, what are you telling me? Should I not sell these to the forum members or anybody else that wants one? Just asking before I decide what I'm going to do. Sounds to me like a scare tactic, but then I may be reading to much into it. But that's me. -Bernd

Scare tactic? What? . . . Geez.

I made it clear that I don't know hardly a thing about this issue and was asking those here who know to please comment. They did. If a step is deemed useful to protect us in some way, I thought it would be good for all of us to know about it.

I'll continue working on my power chassis and other projects, I assume you will do likewise, too. Maybe I shouldn't ask questions here.

-Brian C.
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:55 pm

Nothing in life is guaranteed. Live it in fear or do your thing.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConnRiver » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:13 pm

Bernd wrote:. . . Reflecting back on this subject. ConnRiver (aka Brian) had an interest when I developed the resin track. IIRC he made mention of working on some track components. He then did not show up for a while on the forum until I started developing the track jigs. Now that I'm near to getting the finished product out the door he asks whether I have a S-corp or LLC and if I have a tax number. Rather strange he only asked me. Why didn't he ask Shipsure ( aka Joe) if he has a S-corp or LLC or a tax number to sell his laser kits or is it that he is associated with Micro-Trains Line? How about any of the other vendors on the forum. Why did you pick me out of the bunch to post what you said? Inquiring minds want to know. . . .

Bernd, I was gone from the TT_Nut site because from January through June I was working 14 hour days, five days a week when I wasn't working six days a week. After June (and before January), my work schedule was just five days a week, but each day was 13-14 hours. I just didn't feel much like getting into hobby work during that time.

Now, I'm newly semi-retired, working seven days a month. Within the last week I went through a huge backlog here of TT_Nut digests because I wanted to get reconnected with the TT community. Guess it was serendipity that effort coincided with you moving along with your track project. I was interested in what you were doing. I think it is good work, particularly if it helps our scale.

Years ago, an attorney in Iowa suggested I register our tiny company (long defunct) as an S-Corporation, not only for what liability protection it would afford, but also for tax benefits. Lately, I've been thinking about a federal tax id as well as some sort of incorporation if it would help establish bona fides when applying for whosesale prices from suppliers, like Mashima motors, like ME rail, like so many other products one might need.

I guess I asked you about liability and a tax id because easily you've been the most visible presence here lately and you're nearing the point where you're going to sell a product. By asking you these questions, through you I was asking everyone here their opinions. Particularly Richard-B, who is a business world traveler and necessarily must possess much useful information.

Damn, Bernd, TT scale needs everything. The scale is as wide-open as the Western sky, there is room for everyone who wishes to work in the scale. Everyone. Competitively, I don't care what you do. Why would I?

-Brian C.
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion