lengthening piko BR151

lengthening piko BR151

Postby scaro » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:58 am

hi

i am wondering if anyone has hacksawed a piko BR151 chassis to lengthen it and if so, how it went?

or perhaps created a new chassis using the trucks and motor ?

cheers

ben
scaro

Re: lengthening piko BR151

Postby areibel » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:43 pm

Hi Ben,
I haven't tried it yet but I have a thought. I'm looking at lengthening a BR120 chassis and I'm wondering if I could drill and tap through the thickest part of the chassis, then use a threaded rod run through the holes. The hard part would be getting a long enough small (1/8" or so) tap to do the job.
Al
areibel

Postby scaro » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:34 pm

hi al, this is difficult to visualise ... do you mean drill through it length ways and then use rod to extend it?

(i don't own a BR120 to compare)

ben
scaro

Postby areibel » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:51 pm

Hi Ben,
Yeah, basically finding a thick enough section that you can drill through lengthwise and then cut perpendicular. I was thinking of being able to run a threaded rod into a tapped hole, but the more I think about it it would be much easier
to drill it and epoxy a rod into the holes You could use a piece of tubing as a spacer to keep the length right while the epoxy sets. The tricky part would be drilling the holes parallel with the chassis so the rods would hold it straight, not twisted.
areibel

Postby scaro » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:06 am

hi al

i once did that with a bachmann N chassis I was trying to lengthen. i used plastic rods, oddly enough. spacing the holes exactly on either side of the cut chassis block was not easy, so i wanted a bit of flexibility to account for my errors and line it all up. it did work ok, though, the plastic dowels permitted a little movement so the two blocks of zamac lined up, and araldite kept it in place otherwise. i think i'll try that with the piko.
scaro

Postby richardedmonds » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:30 am

Does anyone know if it is possible to reverse the trucks so that the the wheels closer together are at the front of the loco. I am playing at yet another hairbrained schem to try to scratch something very similar to a Fairbanks Morse trainmaster and the trucks reversed might look ok
richardedmonds

Postby scaro » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:07 am

hi richard. you possibly could, but perhaps it is easier to move the centre axle. it's a dummy.
scaro

Postby richardedmonds » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:13 am

Hi Ben
I was thinking more of the truck arrangment, although not prototypical it would at least look somewhat correct from a distance. It might need stretching as well which would put me in your arena as well, I just didn't want to spend 70 odd quid on a maybe without seeing one in the flesh as to speak
richardedmonds

Postby scaro » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:52 pm

richard

happy to show you mine. it's in bits but not so much that you can't see how it all fits back together ... i hope.

however, the piko is a carbody unit, and the chassis is full width and not much good for a hood unit. you would have to do some serious hacksawing of the top half of the chassis. it could in theory fit under a TM then ... i guess ...

ben
scaro

Postby richardedmonds » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:45 pm

Ben
Yeah I can see that now, the idea of a trainmaster was the high skirt and the somewhat wider hood thought it would give me more space. The wheelbase even if turned around is a bit too far off as well. A bull ant should do the job though. How did you get on with those hood doors and the paper punch.
richardedmonds

Next

Return to General Discussion