Layout progress

Re: Layout progress

Postby WillYart » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:17 am

Update - the pipe is all installed, filled in with join compound. See attached photo. So far I think the advantages are:

- Fast (just attach pipe to risers, no cutting plywood to shape or clamping and glueing splines)
- Cheap (no waste)
- Sturdy
- Lots of control in x, y, z (all) directions on the fly. In this case the pipe is laid on top of the track plan printouts.
- Easy to do superelevation (one rail higher than the other) on curves: cut risers at an angle, lay pipe.
- Plastic pipe does not shrink and expand as much as wood, does not absorbe moisture.
- No sagging (with sufficiently thick pipe)

What do you think? Next is wiring, we'll see how that goes...
Attachments
IMG_1683.jpg
Filling the space between the pipes
WillYart

Postby TT-SouthAfrica » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:43 am

A very clever idea, something that is great about this is you could then even "route" track wiring (if analog) through the tubing, however using alternative materials for various areas in model railway benchwork can be quite interesting to come across,
Regards
Gareth Owen
The one and possibly only South African TT'er
TT-SouthAfrica

Postby WillYart » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:54 am

Indeed. Thanks Gareth!

Personally I found it best to route the wiring as usual. I like that I can install my risers with superelevation included. Traditional methods seem a bit more painstaking when it comes to superlevation on curves. For example, some have suggested tilting plywood subroadbed to achieve that effect, but that seems an inadequate approximation.
WillYart

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:57 pm

TT-SouthAfrica wrote:A very clever idea, something that is great about this is you could then even "route" track wiring (if analog) through the tubing

I must have missed this before. I think that given how layouts tend to change and get additions, subtractions, etc. this may be a problem. But maybe not.... :think:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:13 am

ConducTTor wrote:
TT-SouthAfrica wrote:A very clever idea, something that is great about this is you could then even "route" track wiring (if analog) through the tubing

I must have missed this before. I think that given how layouts tend to change and get additions, subtractions, etc. this may be a problem. But maybe not.... :think:

There is always the idea of running "fishing lines" through the pipes, and use a vacuum to pull the "pull" lines through, which are then used to pull the wires, much like how full size electricians use to run wires through conduits and pipes.
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

Postby WillYart » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:23 am

Yeah, a small fish tape would work here. But in my case it hasn't been at all necessary to conceal the wires, so I'm drilling straight through to the underneath of the layout as usual.
WillYart

Postby CSD » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:38 am

Not a bad idea at all. You could very easily add super elevation by putting a spacer under the outside pipe.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby WillYart » Thu May 16, 2013 2:42 am

True, Mark. In my case I computed the added height for the super-elevated track and cut each riser at the appropriate angle. The angle started shallow and gradually became steeper so the superelevation had its own vertical easement.
WillYart

Postby ConducTTor » Thu May 16, 2013 3:44 pm

WillYart wrote:The angle started shallow and gradually became steeper so the superelevation had its own vertical easement.

Sexy :thumbup:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConnRiver » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:29 pm

Will, just catching up with all the TT posts, I want to give you kudos (to our international friends, I want to point out that kudos are not harmful :-) for your novel approach to track construction. Very neat.

-Brian Chapman
Evansdale, Iowa
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Previous

Return to General Discussion