Layout plan drawing

Layout plan drawing

Postby ctxmf74 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:14 am

Hi All, working on a design for a TT layout in a spare room, I can use an L shaped space 15 feet by 5.3 feet so I designed a shelf layout representing the NewYork waterfront. It has a rail marine transfer bridge, a small yard and some industrial customers. The shelves are 27 inches wide at the widest point. I plan to hand lay code 55 rail on pc board ties.
I originally designed a similiar HO layout for this same benchwork but decided that TT will allow a better representation of the scene. It will take a lot more work in TT due to the lack of ready to run equipment and the poor selection scenic buildings and details but I think the size perspective will make it worthwhile. Check it out and let me know if you see any problem areas for construction or operations. Thanks, Dave
ctxmf74

Re: Layout plan drawing

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:04 am

Looks very good man :thumbup: so many possibilities for shunting and photos of different scenes! I like it very much :wave:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:55 am

Have you considered using a double-slip turnout for the junction between the concrete and manufacturing spurs? That could save on some trackwork (replace the pair of turnouts and a crossover with a double slip). That is the only suggestion I can think of. The layout desgn looks very nice, and would be neat to see the final result.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby CSD » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:15 pm

Looks good, Man. I always liked the idea of using a car float to interchange rolling stock.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:32 pm

CSD wrote:......using a car float to interchange rolling stock.

Yeah, you can make a bunch of floats to serve as the staging and just change them out :idea:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:24 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:Have you considered using a double-slip turnout for the junction between the concrete and manufacturing spurs? That could save on some trackwork (replace the pair of turnouts and a crossover with a double slip).

On one hand I agree, on the other hand I think the track becomes more interesting this way :think:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:48 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. That industrial area at the top left will probably get it's spurs revised once I decide exactly what kind of industry is going in there and how it needs to be served. I usually find that once I start laying out the roadbed things become clearer and some changes apparent. I'm waiting for an order of fast tracks pc board ties before I can build some test track, I'm hoping approximately #6 turnouts will fit onto my preliminary plan, I want to keep a realistic track appearance as much as possible but also be able to fit in enough operations to make it interesting. Car float served terminals were compact and did a lot of work in a small space so I basically can just copy a real operation while using a more convenient track plan for my space.....dave
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:56 pm

A potential issue that I just noticed is the code 55 rail - mainly the ability of TT stock to ride properly given the current standards for wheel flanges.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:05 pm

ConducTTor wrote:A potential issue that I just noticed is the code 55 rail - mainly the ability of TT stock to ride properly given the current standards for wheel flanges.

I'm planning to solder it to pc board ties so there will be no spike heads. I'm using the old HP size flanged wheels so there should be enough clearance, their flanges measure about .023 tall ....dave
ctxmf74

Postby Marquette » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:05 pm

Ooh, I like it a lot!

Inspirational, too... something like that could be very appropriate for a semi-freelanced location on the Pere Marquette or another Michigan road...
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Next

Return to Layouts / Track Plans