Layout : Gare de Hulot

Layout : Gare de Hulot

Postby gabbysuz » Sun May 30, 2010 3:32 am

Hello All,

Well thanks to ConducTTor, seeing the inspiring and quick progress on his layout,
and also since my future move might be delayed, I've decided to not waste
anymore time and start construction on my new European TT layout : "Gare de Hulot"

Measures 5' x 9' , it is set on the Mediterranean coast between Italy and France, although I'm sure I'll
be running a lot of German railway equipment, I really don't care, I will do some modifications and try to come
up with some SNCF and FS trains out of what is available (a Big Thank You to Marquette for the awesome database you've created ! :thumbup: ), but for now I'll just enjoy running all my trains !!

You can follow the progress on the blog I created for it : http://gare-hulot.blogspot.com/

I will post major updates here on the forum, to follow even more closely check out the blog, I thought I would create it to get another webpage with TT content on it ! Cheers !

gabbysuz

Re: Layout : Gare de Hulot

Postby ConducTTor » Sun May 30, 2010 12:31 pm

Woohoo! :clap:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Sun May 30, 2010 5:10 pm

Right on, Man! Your description in the blog makes it sound like a place I'd like to visit. Looks good.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Sun May 30, 2010 6:08 pm

In your blog you mentioned the Turkish GP - I've been a HUGE F1 fan for many years now. Nice move by Vettel huh?
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby gabbysuz » Sun May 30, 2010 9:57 pm

Right on, Man! Your description in the blog makes it sound like a place I'd like to visit. Looks good.

Thanks, Yes I've visited a place like this many times in my dreams ! and living on the Oregon coast is similar, but not
as much sun on the beaches ! I really like railways all across Europe, (& the world !) so I just decided to model my ideal fictional location, and it creates a bit of challange as to finding / kitbashing / re-painting scratchbuilding enough stock for at least 2-4 appropriate trains. Rest of the time I'll enjoy my German / Czech trains. I have decided to install overhead catenary, I think steam locos look neat "under the wires".

ConducTTor wrote:In your blog you mentioned the Turkish GP - I've been a HUGE F1 fan for many years now. Nice move by Vettel huh?

Yes, I got up early to watch this one, 4:30AM !! The Turkish GP always seems to produce a more interesting race than the others, I think the incident with Vettel was a racing accident, although from the replay you could make a case for either
Vettel or Webber edging over into the other's space ! either way I was happy to see someone have a go instead of just
tooling around until the end to pick up the points. If I was in F1, race wins would mean almost more to me than the championship / points ! I got to see Webber race in person at Laguna Seca in 1998, he was racing in the FIA GT series for Mercedes Benz, very fast and smooth driver, I'm a Ferrari fan all the way, but I'd be happy to see Webber win it, remembering him at Laguna he seemed like a nice chap, who didn't have much to do with the media hype machine. My interest has gone down in F1 over the last decade, but since my early years following F1 I was getting up at 4 AM with my Dad to watch Mansell vs. Senna or Schumacher vs. Hill vs. Villenuve vs. Hakinen, those were the days ! the sound of that beautiful Ferrari V12, gone.
gabbysuz

Postby ConducTTor » Sun May 30, 2010 11:45 pm

Hey, is there anything under the 2" insulation board? Or is it just resting on the cross beams?
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby gabbysuz » Mon May 31, 2010 1:13 am

ConducTTor wrote:Hey, is there anything under the 2" insulation board? Or is it just resting on the cross beams?

the insulation board is very lightly glued to the cross beams, nothing under it. Noise level is okay, but I suspect a wood
base would be quieter. I'm not much of a carpenter, but I think I'll give wood a chance on a future layout. I see this layout
as a interium project, if and when I move I'll save as much as I can, and start over again, hopefully learning from this one.
gabbysuz

Postby Marquette » Mon May 31, 2010 7:51 pm

Nice looking start you've got there! I look forward to seeing more.

I got started watching F1 back in... well, I'll just say my favourite driver was Jacques Laffitte (though I also liked Lauda and Arnoux). I'm still torn as to whether to like Renault or not... Renault was of course Ligier's biggest rival, and since Ligier became Prost (I also muchly liked him in his day!), and then merged with Renault, I don't know now. Do I like Renault, since it's partly Ligier? Or do I keep hating them, since they're also Renault?
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Mon May 31, 2010 7:52 pm

gabbysuz wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:Hey, is there anything under the 2" insulation board? Or is it just resting on the cross beams?

the insulation board is very lightly glued to the cross beams, nothing under it. Noise level is okay, but I suspect a wood
base would be quieter. I'm not much of a carpenter, but I think I'll give wood a chance on a future layout. I see this layout
as a interium project, if and when I move I'll save as much as I can, and start over again, hopefully learning from this one.

So I assume you've used this method before and have had no problems with sagging? Interesting........
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Mon May 31, 2010 7:58 pm

Marquette wrote: I'm still torn as to whether to like Renault or not... Renault was of course Ligier's biggest rival, and since Ligier became Prost (I also muchly liked him in his day!), and then merged with Renault, I don't know now. Do I like Renault, since it's partly Ligier? Or do I keep hating them, since they're also Renault?

I became a fan of theirs as soon they together with Nando whooped Ferrari's asses. And, I like Kubica so I'm still rooting for them! Oh and BTW, if Petrov would quit smashing the car, he may do very well for them.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Next

Return to Layouts / Track Plans