KUEHN Y/B 70 cosmetic outer body alterations

Re: KUEHN Y/B 70 cosmetic outer body alterations

Postby Christtking » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:17 pm

To conducTTor: To be honest with you I have no idea since I do not own the newer versions of this type of car from TILLIG yet. I am guessing TILLIG's version is the newer batch (predecessor? )of the real life prototype that were equipped with East German style bogies (trucks) and different window/compartment arrangement. Some had 9 some had 10. Tillig and Kuehn (just guessing) have launched both versions. Visually the cars (models from both companies) are slightly similar. In my eyes Tillig's models look a bit skinny (elongated) compared to little fatties from Kuehn. For a fact I can not really tell which company is closer to the real life prototype. I am guessing again!, that is Kuehn. I think it is a matter of competition. They are both good, hats off to that!
Christtking

Postby CSD » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:34 pm

ConducTTor wrote:*slightly off topic* but, what are the differences between the Kuhn's and Tillig's versions of these cars?

Tillig's are nicer. They really nailed it.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby CSD » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:51 pm

Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:58 pm

I see the pics. But, can you elaborate?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:21 am

ConducTTor wrote:I see the pics. But, can you elaborate?

Yup. Don't gey me wrong. They are both nice wagons. Slightly different takes on the same details. The one thing about the Kuehn version is the windows. They are chunky and, as Chisttking mentioned, there is paint missing around the frames. They lack the fine flush mount look of the original.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:29 am

Can you post photos of the differences?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:49 am

Mark
//S
CSD

Postby LVG1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:51 am

I did not yet have any of those models in my hands. I know them only from the photos here in this forum. But I know the prototype very well.

CSD wrote:The one thing about the Kuehn version is the windows. They are chunky and, as Chisttking mentioned, there is paint missing around the frames. They lack the fine flush mount look of the original.

The windows indeed look different at both models.
At the prototype the windows open by pushing the upper part past the lower part. Therefor the upper part is about 1 or 1 ½ inches farther outside than the lower part. This applys to the frames as well.
Tillig seams to completely neglect this fact. Additionally, at least the outer frame seams to be a tad too slim.
Kühn more endeavors to reproduce the details. But the frame of the lower part of the windows and the overlap of the outer frame over the body panel is too thick.
All in all, Tillig's windows look more elegant but Kühn's windows are more accurate.

Christtking wrote:I am guessing TILLIG's version is the newer batch (predecessor? )of the real life prototype that were equipped with East German style bogies (trucks) and different window/compartment arrangement. Some had 9 some had 10. Tillig and Kuehn (just guessing) have launched both versions.

Which predecessor do you mean?
Both Tillig and Kühn make models of GDR-made 24.5 meters cars.
There were 3 types of 24.5 meters cars made in GDR—B, Y and Y/B70 types. They all had the same windows. They all had the same trucks (bogies)—except for very few of the export versions. They all had the same window and compartment arrangements.
The various variants (1st, 2nd and mixed 1st and 2nd class coaches, 2nd class couchette coaches and so on) having different window and compartment arrangements were made parallel in each of these types.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby LVG1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:57 pm

CSD wrote:The one thing about the Kuehn version is the windows. They are chunky and, as Chisttking mentioned, there is paint missing around the frames. They lack the fine flush mount look of the original.

Concerning the windows, look here:
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby Christtking » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:55 pm

To LVG1: What I meant was: Kuehn's model was (is) based on the earlier version of the real life prototype and Tillig's is based on the next (newer) generation. I do not know exactly which one was manufactured first, second or third, e.g.: Y/B70, Y or B type. I am guessing the order goes something like this: B, Y/B70 then Y type.
Back to the models.
1st- Tillig's model: the grab (handle) bars by the side entrance/ exit (access) doors come with the car as add-on detail- Kuehn's model, they are moulded on the body, so Tillig 1 - Kuehn 0.
2nd-Tillig's model inside piece has no coloured seats/benches- Kuehn's model does. Tillig 1 - Kuehn 1.
3rd-Tillig's wagon has 2 sets of wheels per bogie for continuous electrical pick up - Kuehn's has 4 . Tillig 1 - Kuehn 2.
4th-Tillig has the valves under the coach but the handles are not coloured - Kuehn's are, etc. etc
I'm not saying that Kuehn's models are better than Tillig's. The models from both companies are superb! The beauty is in the eye of the beholder! One company lacks more details than the other and vice-versa, because of the way they are manufactured. They (the manufacturers) can not copy each other too much, they have to come with new ideas in order to attract customers. Of course, sometimes they are in a hurry to release their new products on the market and they make mistakes, but later on they will improve.
Christtking

PreviousNext

Return to Kuehn TT Scale Models