Kuehn 10° Turnout - a good #6

Kuehn 10° Turnout - a good #6

Postby MacG » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:44 am

@mod: can you please move the postings zeuke-tt-what-s-new-t2241-220.html#p43764 and zeuke-tt-what-s-new-t2241-220.html#p43773 from "Zeuke-TT, what's new? to this new topic. It makes more sense in an own topic.

There are rail joiners for connecting Tillig rails with Kuehn rails. Kuehn 72722

You can also use a modified Tillig rail joiner or another code 83 rail joiner. Cut with a cutting disc (min 0.5mm thick) from above at the middle through the sides (clamps) until the bottom. Then bend one side with a stair-shape ¯¯\__ higher than the other side (~ 0.3mm). Make at the higher side the sides/clamps tighter with a plier.

The measurements of the WL10 and WR10 turnouts are:
  • length 193.08 mm (corresponds to Kuehn G128 plus G64)
  • radius of curve 758.04 mm with an angle of 10°
  • straight diverging rail (after curve) with a length of 60.43 mm

WL10_vs_NMRA#6.jpg
WL10 vs. NMRA #6
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Re: Kuehn 10° Turnout - a good #6

Postby areibel » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:03 am

Thanks MacG! I do have a question I'd like your opinion on.
I am going to connect two left switches (and two right) to make a cross over, and I would like to cut down the turn out section about 1 CM so the finished parallel tracks will be a little closer together- do you (or does anyone else) think it might cause a problem?
Thanks!
areibel

Postby MacG » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:50 am

I see there no problem. If you remove the last two ties with rails from the each diverging track, you should get a track distance of 43mm. If you need it closer and you want to remove more than three ties, then you should leave the frog rail at each turnout longer than the outer curved rail. Maybe you can remove the cutted rail out of the rail spikes like at Tillig ones. Then you can insert the rail from the other turnout.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby Richard-B » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:12 pm

MacG wrote:There are rail joiners for connecting Tillig rails with Kuehn rails. Kuehn 72722
Well... THAT makes perfect sense!!!
I learn something every day!
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Bill Dixon » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:54 pm

Not having access to the special rail joiners right now and wanting to get on with the project, I tried a few different ones.

MicroEngineering code 70 rail joiners fit the Kuehn track tightly. With a bit of spreading they will also fit Tillig track so I have a workaround for now.
20180907_kuehn to tillig.jpg

For insulated railjoiners I have found that Peco code 75 insulated railjoiners are nice and snug. They are a bit long but that is easy to fix.

I am not sure yet how thick a spacer I will need under the N-Scale cork roadbed to make the height match Tillig track. Some experimentation in the next few days should figure that out.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:07 pm

One question I had was how much shimming would be needed to get the Kuehn track to match the height of the Tillig bedding track.
I suspended a turnout between two pieces of bedding track.
20180908_track height.jpg
It turns out that my current standard of N-Scale cork with a .020" styrene shim will work with the new turnouts.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Richard-B » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:13 am

Bill Dixon wrote:MicroEngineering code 70 rail joiners fit the Kuehn track tightly. With a bit of spreading they will also fit Tillig track so I have a workaround for now.
I'm going to try the other way around...
M-E Code 83 joiners from the LHS... with an 0.010 strip of brass soldered to the bottom of the Kuehn Code 70 rail.

This will get me going until I can pick-up some of the Kuehn joiners in October.
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Return to Prototypes / Models