Kuehn Arriva ALEX set model 21010

Kuehn Arriva ALEX set model 21010

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:33 pm

This is a four piece set consisting of one ER20 (Hercules) locomotive and three Silberling (Silverling) passenger wagons painted in Arriva ALEX (Allgäu-Express) colors.
The ER20 has all axles driven and electrical pickup from all wheels. There are two traction tires.
Lighting is directional with 3 forward and 2 rear lights (unlike the Piko Hercules models which have no rear lights).
Paint is crisp, as is detail. The locomotive sides are painted differently - one with the "Arriva" logo and the other with the "ALEX" logo.
There is a small bag of parts to be applied to the locomotive although some details such as the metal handles on the front have already been mounted for you - these appear to be metal and therefore appear realistic in thickness. For reference, Tillig normally supplies such handles as plastic pieces to be applied by the modeler and since they are plastic, they are un-prototypically thick.
The drive is very smooth and quiet - top notch.
The bag of extra parts includes two traction tires, 1 motor brush and two springs (for the motor brushes or coupler mechanisms?).
There is no quick plug for a DCC chip but Kuehn's website details (in German) what needs to be done to add one. The manual may also comment on this but it's in German so I'm not sure. I expect adding a DCC chip to be a relatively easy thing to add since Kuehn also manufactures them and it would make sense that their locos are ready for them.
Axle and bogie dimensions are the same as the Piko version of the Hercules.
Kuehn's version of this locomotive is a step above Piko's in detail and mechanics.
The wagons are Kuehn's version of the Silberling which is closer to prototype than Tillg's. The wagons are all 2nd class with unique running numbers.
Small details are already applied - no parts bag.
The paint and detail is very good. As with most modern passenger wagon models, the bogies are electrified for future addition of lighting.
Rolling resistance of the wagon's is up to modern standards.
Couplers on all four pieces is BTTB style but shorter to allow for more realistic spacing. The couplers are easily replaceable with Tillig versions which I am sure will cut the coupled distance by a millimeter and bring it more in line with Tillig spacing.
The manual consists of three pages - one for the wagons and two for the locomotive, all in German.
This set was my introduction to Kuehn products which I have become very fond of.

Kuehn_Alex_Arriva_box.jpg

Kuehn_Alex_Arriva_ER20_Hercules_side.jpg

Kuehn_Alex_Arriva_ER20_Hercules_front.jpg

Kuehn_Alex_Arriva_ER20_Hercules_top.jpg

Kuehn_Alex_Arriva_ER20_Hercules_bottom.jpg

Kuehn_Alex_Arriva_ER20_Hercules_detail.jpg

Kuehn_Alex_Arriva_manual_2.jpg

Kuehn_Alex_Arriva_manual_3.jpg
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Kuehn Arriva ALEX set model 21010

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:40 pm

Kuehn_Alex_Arriva_Silberling_side.jpg

Kuehn_Alex_Arriva_Silberling_front.jpg

Kuehn_Alex_Arriva_Silberling.jpg

Kuehn_Alex_Arriva_Silberling_detail_1.jpg

Kuehn_Alex_Arriva_Silberling_detail_2.jpg

Kuehn_Alex_Arriva_Silberling_detail_3.jpg

Kuehn_Alex_Arriva_coupled.jpg

Kuehn_Alex_Arriva_manual_1.jpg
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby jmass » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:03 pm

very nice!
jmass

Postby anotherTTnut » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:36 pm

Hello ConducTTor,
question for you, did you really had to make any modification on the loko to drop in the decoder? Mine was a straight "Bridge out, new Decoder in" thing.
There are two things I have to mention on my set:
1. The front driving light is too yellow/orange-ish to be close to the original (only flaw to the model itself in my eyes)
2. All three coaches are 2nd class. As per description on the Kuehn website there should be 2 second class coaches and 1 mixed first and second class coach.
"Die insgesamt vierteilige Zusammenstellung enthält eine Diesellok "Eurorunner" in blauer Arriva-Lackierung und dazu passend zwei blaue Arriva-Silberlinge zweiter Klasse, sowie einen blauen Silberling 1. / 2. Klasse."
So it looks all a litle bit to much the same, oh welll.......

Otherwise this is an outstanding set and I really like it!
anotherTTnut

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:22 pm

Actually this loco doesn't have a decoder yet - I haven't even opened it yet. Honestly I was going by the instruction sheet when I wrote the above. Also, there are two distinct series of the Arriva set - everything is the same but some of the loco internals may have changed on the second series (mine is the first).

As for the coaches, mine are all 2nd class. WTF?????
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby anotherTTnut » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:52 am

ConducTTor wrote:Actually this loco doesn't have a decoder yet - I haven't even opened it yet. Honestly I was going by the instruction sheet when I wrote the above. Also, there are two distinct series of the Arriva set - everything is the same but some of the loco internals may have changed on the second series (mine is the first).

As for the coaches, mine are all 2nd class. WTF?????

Judging by your manual you should have the very same version as I do, so a simple drop in of the decoder is all you need. I think what you refering to is the details on how to modify the circuit board to have the front and rear light switched seperatly. That`s something for later when you have nothing else to do :smile:
anotherTTnut

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:02 am

Crazy - I just double checked and I have THREE 2nd class coaches - all with different running numbers. BTW, the Tillig set is nice also (although their Silberling is crappy) - take a look at both sets together:

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby anotherTTnut » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:23 am

ConducTTor wrote:Crazy - I just double checked and I have THREE 2nd class coaches - all with different running numbers. BTW, the Tillig set is nice also (although their Silberling is crappy) - take a look at both sets together:

Looks good! Do you think you could post some close up pictures of the Tillig set? I see you also have a coach of the previous Alex design....
anotherTTnut

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:28 am

Sure. I've been meaning to start taking pics and posting models again - just so much other stuff to do.......
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Christtking » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:22 pm

My set has all 3 coaches of 2nd class also. That's strange!
Christtking

Return to Kuehn TT Scale Models