Kuehn Alex/Arriva Tillig City Bahn Silberling

Post your photos and video links here

Kuehn Alex/Arriva Tillig City Bahn Silberling

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:28 pm

I am by not at all an expert on Silberlings so I won't comment on how close the following are to the prototype but I'll mention the obvious things I see. The blue wagon is the Kuehn from the Alex / Arriva set. The orange wagon is from the Tillig City Bahn set. By the way, clicking on the pictures (this is the case with all picture attachments on the board) will show them in full size / resolution.

Big difference between the size of the lights. The Kuehns are clear plastic so you can add a light - the Tilligs are simply painted red. Also there is a big difference in the height of the wagon between the trucks and the roof - not the overall height. The Tillig is missing some outer detail but those are simply parts I have not mounted yet.
kuehn_tillig_silberling_3.jpg

The Kuehn has much better detail on the vents on the roof.
kuehn_tillig_silberling_4.jpg

Note the detail on the Kuehn window frames and around the doors. The door windows even have painted rubber insulation. The Kuehn also has more space between the windows & doors and the roof. I believe this is closer to prototype.
kuehn_tillig_silberling_5.jpg

Another shot showing the differences in detail around the windows.
kuehn_tillig_silberling_6.jpg

Let me know if you wants pics comparing of something specific on the wagons.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Kuehn Alex/Arriva Tillig City Bahn Silberling

Postby Rich B » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:34 am

I'll be in Germany in October. I would expect to see some Silberlings, so I'll try and get photos approximating the ones you show here, allowing a good comparison.
Rich B

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:39 am

Awesome! :thumbup:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Rich B » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:25 pm

I'm a dozy bugger sometimes...

I took a pile of photos of a local train at Dresden. Of course, being the old East, they were Halberstadts! I didn't see any more of that generation until I reached Lindau, where a short rake rolled in as I was about to board a train to Friedrichshafen. I have some 3/4 views such as http://bordnamona.fotopic.net/p61949709.html, but nothing of any use for modelling purposes :(

I still think the Kuehn ones look better mind!
Rich B

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:35 pm

I like the Kuehns much better as well. Actually I think Kuehn in general is better than Tillig. And they're cheaper. Thanks for the link - I just realized I've been to your site before and have it bookmarked for photos :thumbup:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby jmass » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:10 pm

nice pictures! like the closup of the couplers. i always wondered how exactly they work. anybody have a good picture of cars being coupled?
jmass

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:42 pm

jmass, i'm not sure I fully understand your couplers question. If you mean how do the two types couple to each other, well they don't :(

As for the specific couplers, it's hard to visualize or describe. The only way to really (at least for me) see it is in real life - or maybe if someone around here has a video camera they can shoot it and post.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:53 pm

Very nice looking cars.

Where would one get Kuehn items? I have been checking EuroTrainHobby on and off over the last few years, and I have not seen any Kuehn for sale.

It would be nice if the couplers would match up, I guess it would be picking one or the other type and/or using an "idler" car if one wanted to run a mixed make train.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:26 pm

Unfortunately, Kuehn is only coming from Germany. I've inquired with Euro Train about them and the response was that they don't want to export right now. Which explains why they didnt even respond when I tried to contact them about a year ago. It's a shame actually, i consider their models to be superior to Tillig's - and on top of that they're cheaper. As for the couplers, it is what it is. The BTTB versions have some short commings necessitating a new coupler design. Tillig did this, now it's a matter of converting over....
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby jmass » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:07 am

my question was to the picture that richb took of the coupler with the birds eating the bugs.im looking at it and cant figure out how the would work.
jmass

Next

Return to Photos / Videos