Kemtron Tiny Tim 0-4-0

Kemtron Tiny Tim 0-4-0

Postby areibel » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:27 pm

Built by Kemtron, sold later under the Robico name. Later sold by John Harmon under the Allegheny Models name, repowered with a Sagami can motor.
areibel

Re: Kemtron Tiny Tim 0-4-0

Postby TTTerrific » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:19 pm

I have a Kemtron TT 0-4-0 "docksider." I intend to "bash" the unit into an 0-6-0 shop switcher ala Southern Pacific style. The SP had shop switchers at nearly all of the road'sdo large locomotive facilities throughout the system. The docksider 0-4-0 is actually a very large locomotive if you consider the prototype's axle loading. Four or five of these locos were built for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad for switching (shunting) around the dock areas of Baltimore where turns and access could be tight.

Here is where forum membership can help me. What is a good motor to re-motor this unit with? I need a non-geared axle assembly (with wheels attached) to build the 0-6-0 modification. Does anyone have a spare wheel set that I can purchase for this project?
TTTerrific

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:45 pm

Welcome to the forum! I don't have what you're looking for :cry:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:57 pm

Welcome aboard, TTTeriffic! You may want to look at ordering some spare parts from a Tillig BR 81 or a Roco BR 80. Many European hobby shops should be able to order the parts you need.
tillig81.jpg
roco80-1.jpg

Actually the guts from the BR 80 might fit the bill. I think AngrySailor was looking into a similar conversion.

Edit: Now that I think of it George at Euro Train Hobby could probably help you find the parts: http://www.eurotrainhobby.com/
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby areibel » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:00 pm

TTTerrific wrote:Here is where forum membership can help me. What is a good motor to re-motor this unit with? I need a non-geared axle assembly (with wheels attached) to build the 0-6-0 modification. Does anyone have a spare wheel set that I can purchase for this project?

Sounds like a neat project!
There was a copy of the Tiny Tim released in the late 80's by Allegheny Models (John Harmon) that used a can motor in place of the original Lindsay motor. They are scarce, but there is supposedly a company in England that is offering the same kit. I believe it was just a brass bracket to bolt the motor to, the "loop" that holds down the original motor neeeds to be milled off and the worm gear mounted onto the can motor. Chris H or Richard might know more about them, if they're reading?
Is the prototype you're referring to a tank loco like the Dockside? I think that might be the only big problem if you're using a smaller diameter boiler, finding the right size motor that will fit.
I'll check and see if I might have an axle to spare. They were actually used on several models- Kemtron also offered the Dockside in HOn3, and the same chassis & wheels are used under the Lindsay/ Kemtron small diesel switcher (looks like a small Plymouth or similar) and the drivers were used on the Kemtron Tea Kettle in TT and HOn3. They'd need regauged but that's not huge. The only other person I can think of is Larry Sayre, he had some Docksider parts but I'm not sure about axles/ drivers. Send him a buck for his latest list or give him a call, he loves to talk TT!
Al
areibel

Postby richardedmonds » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:14 pm

Hi Al
if you go to 3SMR.co.uk and search docksider you come up with a note on the docksider and other American diesels apparently under development. So would be good to email them and ask. They did have about four left a couple of years ago when John was alive but I thought then that Malcolm wanted rid of them. They were quite popular for the 3mm lads to convert to UK style industrial saddle tank loco's. The docksider I got came from John fisher ready built so I do not know what motor was used for it but could look into it some more tomorrow as it is getting late here now.
Hope this helps
richardedmonds

Postby richardedmonds » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:21 pm

sorry slightly wrong, when you go to 3smr firstly hit the green loco tab and then search docksider in that page. It brings up reference to the docksider and other proposed American diesels/parts
richardedmonds

Postby scaro » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:02 pm

i found the mention of it in the pdf document here: http://www.3smr.co.uk/sept2010.pdf

however i am not optimistic re the etches, as you say richard, they have been 'in development' for many years ... i'll wait till i see one before i believe it.
scaro

Postby richardedmonds » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:56 pm

scaro wrote:i found the mention of it in the pdf document here: http://www.3smr.co.uk/sept2010.pdf

however i am not optimistic re the etches, as you say richard, they have been 'in development' for many years ... i'll wait till i see one before i believe it.

Quite right Ben we talked about this a while ago now but to my mind these etches first came to light I think six years ago. So to this date I cannot see them ever being reproduced now. Things are moving on a bit now and with all this new rapid prototyping I cannot see much interest in them. Especially as the etches I know of are an RS2/3 nobody could determine which was which, an E9A, E9B, F7A, F7B. With Lok N Roll selling the E9A ready made and decaled I would opt for that as opposed to soldering one from scratch. As for the F Units given the popularity of these I reckon it is just a short time before one of these younger CAD drawing experts comes up with one that is true to scale

Sorry I got diverted there for a bit, the Tiny Tim I have has the Lindsay motor so cannot comment on the small can motor that John Harmon supplied
richardedmonds

Postby scaro » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:47 pm

richardedmonds wrote: Especially as the etches I know of are an RS2/3 nobody could determine which was which, an E9A, E9B, F7A, F7B. With Lok N Roll selling the E9A ready made and decaled I would opt for that as opposed to soldering one from scratch. As for the F Units given the popularity of these I reckon it is just a short time before one of these younger CAD drawing experts comes up with one that is true to scale

Sorry I got diverted there for a bit, the Tiny Tim I have has the Lindsay motor so cannot comment on the small can motor that John Harmon supplied

if i get to see the etch i can probably determine if it's RS2 or 3. lok n roll are i think selling the last of the Union TT E7 shells, which don't look that good to me. they look more like baldwin cab units than EMDs. i think there's a potential market, as long as noses for the Fs and RS ends can be done as castings, but i just doubt their will to do it. i see them at the occasional exhibition and they are nice guys, but it clearly is not a priority for them.
scaro

Next

Return to Kemtron TT Scale Models