Kemtron Tiny Tim 0-4-0

Re: Kemtron Tiny Tim 0-4-0

Postby Bernd » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:35 pm

I thought I had posted some where on this forum that I had a Tiny Tim engine. Trouble is it runs on HOn3 track (three foot gauge track). Now that I see Ian's posting of a Tiny Tim is that I have one. Somebody re-gauged it to HOn3 an modified the rear end. I took one of Ian's picture and added one from the engine I have and compared them. You can see somebody milled out some material to narrow the gauge. The red rectangles show the frame narrowed for the wheels. I also noticed the wheel width is different. Just saw this now as I posted. I now understand how this worked without doing anything to the valve gear.

Someday I'm going to restore it to proper gauge.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby areibel » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:07 pm

Probably an axle swap instead of a regauge Bernd. Lindsay/ Kemtron made those little critter diesels in HOn3, if you check under the hood it's the exact same mechanism as the TT Docksider. I've seen them bashed where someone swaps out the axles for HOn3 ones (you could buy both axles for less than a buck back in the day), files the frame a bit and cuts the upper cab off and either raises it or scratches one to make it more HO-ish. Voila! A small HOn3 switcher!
areibel

Postby Richard-B » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:18 pm

Here is the Kemtron Catalog page... "Also available in HOn3" !!
Dockside Kemtron_Cat1-p27.jpg
Kemtron Catalog - Docksider
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Bernd » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:18 pm

Thanks guys. I think it's a TT scale. The doors on the engine scale out to TT scale so that's what I'm calling it.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Richard-B » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:54 pm

Bernd wrote:I think it's a TT scale. The doors on the engine scale out to TT scale so that's what I'm calling it.
Everything I have ever seen says this is correct:
The Docksider was originally introduced by Lindsay as a straight TT-scale engine. The size and shape of the model engine shell were constrained by the motor, which was one of the smallest smooth-running 12v DC motors available in the post-war era.

The tooling was then apparently passed-on to Kemtron, (who may have been supplying some of the parts to Lindsay), and they followed the practice of the times by cross-listing TT and HOn3 components, given their similar size when modeled.

Only wheelsets and bolsters/frames (where necessary) were changed...
Richard-B

Postby Richard-B » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:01 pm

BTW:
Plug that $18.95 Docksider catalog price in 1955 US dollars into a CPI inflation calculator...
https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

...and you get $170.66 in 2016!!!! Yikes!
Richard-B

Postby Bernd » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:41 am

What confused me when I got it was that the rear end didn't match what an original engine looked like. On mine somebody had added on a piece of very thin cardboard wrap over the cab extending it beyond the coal bunker plus the added "box" on the end.

After seeing Ian's post I decided to see if I could remove those items. Low and behold underneath lurked a Tiny Tim engine. As I said somewhere down the line I'll get her cleaned un and running, after I change the drive wheels to their proper gauge.

Bernd

Edited to add: I just took the engine apart to clean it up. I'm contemplating using a micro-motor with a reduction gear box. I've got something that I believe will fit. Upon removing the motor I got a surprise. The motor is a Lindsay 7 pole skew wound motor. That's why it runs so nice, but just a tad to fast.
Bernd

Postby TTTerrific » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:52 pm

HELP!!!!

I'm doing my best to repower and otherwise modify cosmetically a Kemtron "Tiny Tim." Everything was going well. I purchased a very small gearbox assembly from NWSL (51:1 gear ratio) that required the removal of the wheels, hat bearings and worm gear off the power axle. Somehow, someway, for what ever reason upon reinstalling the drive wheels (quartered and in proper polarity position) the drivers will not roll straight in the new gear box. When powered by the motor, both wheels have a definite wobble on the axle that is unacceptable. The axle appears to have little to no "play" in any direction. I used a Great Planes brand gear/wheel puller for both the disassembly/reinstall of the drive unit. Try as I might I cannot get the drivers properly aligned on the axle.
What's up!? :crazy:
TTTerrific

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:02 pm

TTTerrific wrote:HELP!!!!

I'm doing my best to repower and otherwise modify cosmetically a Kemtron "Tiny Tim." Everything was going well. I purchased a very small gearbox assembly from NWSL (51:1 gear ratio) that required the removal of the wheels, hat bearings and worm gear off the power axle. Somehow, someway, for what ever reason upon reinstalling the drive wheels (quartered and in proper polarity position) the drivers will not roll straight in the new gear box. When powered by the motor, both wheels have a definite wobble on the axle that is unacceptable. The axle appears to have little to no "play" in any direction. I used a Great Planes brand gear/wheel puller for both the disassembly/reinstall of the drive unit. Try as I might I cannot get the drivers properly aligned on the axle.
What's up!? :crazy:

Can you post some detailed pictures to see if we can catch what the issue is?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Previous

Return to Kemtron TT Scale Models