Kemtron RS2

Kemtron RS2

Postby Murad » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:39 am

I've seen some etched parts for RS2 on ebay recently. Is there any information about this model?
Last edited by Murad on Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
WTB any of the HP Products locomotive parts
Murad

Re: Kemtron RS3

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:15 am

The only RS3 model or parts that I know of are made by Ingo Schwaetzer in Germany.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Murad » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:16 am

ConducTTor wrote:The only RS3 model or parts that I know of are made by Ingo Schwaetzer in Germany.

Ok. It's RS2.
Murad

Postby areibel » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:20 am

There is only one known Kemtron RS, it's owned by Jerry Golembowski. Kemtron made RS2's and GP7's in bigger scales (O. HO and OO) and they were going to do both in TT. But evidently there were only a few made, and it never was officially offered for sale. The power trucks were the same as the Kemtron FA, and it used the same sideframes. They also made the end pilot casting with steps and railings as one piece. But the etched parts are the missing pieces. And there were also EMD sideframes produced for the possible GP7 that fit the same truck. But the bodies weren't produced to go along with the cast brass pieces.

After trying to build TT diesels for a while I think I can guess what probably happened. The hoods are narrow and the power truck they had was wide, it would fit inside but probably would have needed a meter radius to operate on curves. And the motors would have been a problem too, small DC motors were not real common. The Lindsay motor would have been pretty wide to get into a scale width hood, and the only other small one was the Romford Terrier and it didn't have a lot of power. Too bad they couldn't have gotten them running, it would have helped TT in the long run.
areibel

Postby Murad » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:40 am

areibel wrote:There is only one known Kemtron RS, it's owned by Jerry Golembowski. Kemtron made RS2's and GP7's in bigger scales (O. HO and OO) and they were going to do both in TT. But evidently there were only a few made, and it never was officially offered for sale. The power trucks were the same as the Kemtron FA, and it used the same sideframes. They also made the end pilot casting with steps and railings as one piece. But the etched parts are the missing pieces. And there were also EMD sideframes produced for the possible GP7 that fit the same truck. But the bodies weren't produced to go along with the cast brass pieces.

After trying to build TT diesels for a while I think I can guess what probably happened. The hoods are narrow and the power truck they had was wide, it would fit inside but probably would have needed a meter radius to operate on curves. And the motors would have been a problem too, small DC motors were not real common. The Lindsay motor would have been pretty wide to get into a scale width hood, and the only other small one was the Romford Terrier and it didn't have a lot of power. Too bad they couldn't have gotten them running, it would have helped TT in the long run.

There were etched hoods without ends and handrails. I wonder why i don't see it in my watched items there. Wil try to contact the seller to ask him if he have pictures left
Murad

Re: Kemtron RS2

Postby Murad » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:55 am

All what i can say about this item. The seller was Matthew j Coleman from Georgia
It was for sale in January 2019
Murad

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:02 am

Matt is an active modeler as far as I know. I've met him a few times. He had some TT years ago and perhaps still does. He *may* have an account on here but I don't remember anymore.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby areibel » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:31 pm

Matt is a TT master! He actually did the first assembly and the instructions for the Norkin SD-45, and is an expert in building etched kits. I'm not sure if he would have gotten ahold of one of the original Kemtron etches or not but that is possible. And there was another gent that was trying to do an etch to build RS's, Neil Cherry was his name if I remember correctly. I'll have to see if I can find the auction and look, or email Matt and see what treasures he had!
areibel

Postby Richard-B » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:35 am

areibel wrote:Matt is a TT master!
...and an accomplished Author:
https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/product/book/12423 The Model Railroader's Guide to Logging Railroads

Another Alco fan I met a few years back in London UK was Neil Cherry;
He had done work on a fret for the ALCO RSC-2 engines, which are essentially RS-2s riding on A-1-A trucks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALCO_RSC-2. His interest was Portugal... Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses

I lost touch with Neil... and had not heard what became of the project.
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Rich1853 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:07 am

Richard-B wrote:
areibel wrote:Matt is a TT master!
...and an accomplished Author:
https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/product/book/12423 The Model Railroader's Guide to Logging Railroads.

For all who are interested in logging railroad please do a search " Simpson " , I posted three posts.
on one post you will find many links to the Simpson Lumber Railroad videos from Shelton Washington and the Olympic National Forest with SW1200 with dynamic brakeing. There is also a link to a book that I've purchased too.
A post of log cars and a link to videos.
Another post with links to videos of the highest arch bridges the lumber company constructed for the railroad.
And a note of my time when I vacation out there.
Rich1853
Greetings from Melbourne, Florida USA
On the Space Coast of Florida
Rich1853

Next

Return to Kemtron TT Scale Models