Kato Patent HOn3 Track Announced by Blackstone

Kato Patent HOn3 Track Announced by Blackstone

Postby railtwister » Wed May 16, 2012 12:33 am

Blackstone Models HOn3 division of Soundtraxx has just announced a joint project with Kato to produce HOn3 (10.5mm) Unitrack style snap track in 228mm straight and 480mm/22.5 degree curved sections with turnouts to follow later this year. OK, I know it's not exactly TT, but it may be usable for those wanting to model 42" gauge 1:120 scale. Hopefully, they will expand the line to include enough variety of sections to create a layout beyond just a simple loop.

Bill in FL
railtwister

Re: Kato Patent HOn3 Track Announced by Blackstone

Postby areibel » Wed May 16, 2012 7:34 am

10.5 mm isn't 42" gauge in TT, it's more like 50". 9mm gauge ( N scale) comes out to around 42 inch gauge for TT.
areibel

Postby scaro » Wed May 16, 2012 11:52 am

3'6" gauge (what you guys call 42" gage) in 1:120 is 8.89mm. i don't know anyone yet who's worried enough about the .11mm discrepancy not to just use N gauge, though some do lay their own track with a more TT sized sleeper/tie length and spacing.

3mm scale on 10.5mm track would be 3'6" exactly, but i don't know anyone modelling it. however i might mention it on the 3mm society mail list as someone may find it of interest.

ben
scaro

Postby railtwister » Wed May 16, 2012 10:37 pm

Ok, I stand corrected. I must have had my numbers crossed up, somehow. However, at the price they're asking (over $4.50 for a 9" section) it's well beyond my budget. That makes it about 37% more expensive than Kato's HO Unitrack, which I thought was pretty high, and not much less expensive than than LGB track. I really wonder where the market for this is going to be, beyond using it to make a knock-down test loop or programming track. It seems to me that most HOn3 enthusiasts are too scale oriented to be very interested in this type of track, and I doubt that an HOn3 train set is going to be that marketable, although with the track, Blackstone will have all the items necessary for such a thing.

Bill in FL
railtwister

Postby ConducTTor » Thu May 17, 2012 12:35 am

HOn3? What's that?

;)
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion