Kadee Couplers

Re: Kadee Couplers

Postby RodTT » Fri May 04, 2018 5:56 pm

Is there any mileage in adding a tiny amount of adhesive to the corners of the coupler box lid to stop it from coming off? I found this the biggest annoyance when picking the assembly up, but there again I don't have the Kadee jig. I used a thin strip of masking tape to hold it all together while handling but then you have to take it off again before screwing onto the car!
RodTT

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri May 04, 2018 7:20 pm

RodTT wrote:Is there any mileage in adding a tiny amount of adhesive to the corners of the coupler box lid to stop it from coming off? I found this the biggest annoyance when picking the assembly up, but there again I don't have the Kadee jig. I used a thin strip of masking tape to hold it all together while handling but then you have to take it off again before screwing onto the car!

The problem with liquid adhesives and the Kadee couplers is that due to capillary action, the adhesive will tend to get into places where it shouldn't and the end result is a coupler that is solid at best and will not couple at worst.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby areibel » Sat May 05, 2018 9:31 am

You can use the tip of a soldering iron to "weld" the coupler boxes shut- All you need is a very small nick on each side from the cover side down, it is just enough to hold the lid on while handling.
areibel

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat May 05, 2018 10:03 am

areibel wrote:You can use the tip of a soldering iron to "weld" the coupler boxes shut- All you need is a very small nick on each side from the cover side down, it is just enough to hold the lid on while handling.

That is a very good point, the only reason why I did not recommend that method myself is that it is really unsafe to do without the benefit of the Kadee #702 jig, as RodTT has mentioned that he has yet to get the jig.
AstroGoat760

Postby areibel » Sat May 05, 2018 2:20 pm

I don't have a jig but it's never been a problem-Once you get the lid on just use a wooden clothes pin to hold it together. I sanded the width of the jaws down with a sander to about half the original width but it works with a stock one as well, it doesn't take much to hold them shut and you only need a quick touch with an iron to hold.
areibel

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat May 05, 2018 4:07 pm

areibel wrote:I don't have a jig but it's never been a problem-Once you get the lid on just use a wooden clothes pin to hold it together. I sanded the width of the jaws down with a sander to about half the original width but it works with a stock one as well, it doesn't take much to hold them shut and you only need a quick touch with an iron to hold.

Clothespin?

Hey, I just learned something today. I have used a set of alligator clips in the past, as well as a bent pair of small hemostats.

I am sure that I used other methods before I got my first #702 jig back in 2008, but my memory is kinda foggy from then.
AstroGoat760

Postby areibel » Sun May 06, 2018 2:23 pm

A long time ago on a website far far away I saw the modifications another modeler did to plain old wooden clothes pins, so I stole his idea! This is one that's similar to the one I use for couplers, the only difference is the "nose" is sanded down a little narrower. You take the pin apart, flip the parts over (the flats on the outside go back to back) then mount the spring back on however you can. You can notch the flat sides for the round part of the spring if you want them to be more parallel but I haven't had to do that. You get a deeper throat to clamp with, and you can modify the new jaw end by sanding or filing, drilling holes to hold wired or shapes, etc..
Attachments
001.JPG
002.JPG
areibel

Postby The Fish » Thu May 10, 2018 4:28 am

G'day I have been using these 714 couplers for over 40 years. 711 couplers have a longer trip pin, more HO. I use a scalpel to hold and insert spring. I weld the casings together using a soldering iron. see attached instructions
714 coupler instruction003.jpg

regards
Ted down under
The Fish

Previous

Return to Builders' Corner