Kadee 714 compatible coupler of the MTB SW1200

Re: Kadee 714 compatible coupler of the MTB SW1200

Postby j p » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:22 pm

Yes Bill, that is exactly what I am trying to explain here.
j p

Postby railtwister » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:36 pm

By the way, I would like to also mention here, since this thread pertains to couplers, that I tried milwrd1's trick of using the MTB supplied mounting bracket as a drilling jig to drill the hole for the MTL couplers, and it worked like a charm! Thanks milwrd1 !!!

Bill in FtL

Here's the post in case you missed it (for the pictures go to http://www.ttnut.com/rtr-from-mtb-t1414-460.html, third message from the bottom of the page):

milwrd1 wrote:A small tip which can be used when drilling the chassis frame to mount the couplers (I bet CSD never thought these parts would be used for this) :thumbup:

Usually, when mounting couplers, the hardest thing to do is to get the hole centered. I used the MTB supplied mounting block for the Tillig NEM 359 couplers as a template to drill the mounting holes. 2 photos are provided below:

000_0049.jpg

000_0050.jpg

I used a # 65 drill (0.035") for the pilot hole and then finished with a # 60 drill (0.040) for the final hole before tapping the hole 00-90.

Now, all I need is a MT 2001 or 2004 coupler with the offset to finish the job.
railtwister

Postby rdikken » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:16 pm

Dear TT-Nut members,

Thank you all for reacting with so much enthousiasm. I was merely trying to explain why there are differences, I learned a lot. And because I represent the European sales part of MTB, you can address me or Mark if you, JP, want to inform MTB about anything. (Mark is currently travelling in Europe otherwise he would have had this discussion.)

I think you all made your points.
But what milwrd1 and ConducTTor were saying: "I believe the underframe height was provided to address the needs of the majority of the TT modelers in the US and Europe" is in my view correct. According to MTB the provided Tillig compatible coupler is in accordance with NEM 359.

And yes JP and Railtwister, we have to keep ourselves to the standards.

I believe in improvements and I do not want to stand still on the differences too long. Let's try to move the knuckle of the Kadee 714 compatible coupler up a bit. But I think that could be an improvement for the next US model in TT, I will discuss this with MTB.

Thank you all,
Rob Dikken
http://www.zeuke-tt.com
Last edited by rdikken on Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
rdikken

Postby milwrd1 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:28 pm

railtwister wrote:By the way, I would like to also mention here, since this thread pertains to couplers, that I tried milwrd1's trick of using the MTB supplied mounting bracket as a drilling jig to drill the hole for the MTL couplers, and it worked like a charm! Thanks milwrd1 !!!
[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback, Bill :thumbup: :thumbup:

I hope all this discussion about the MTB SW1200, specifically the coupler mounting issues, is not interpreted negatively by MTB. It is a great model.

Also, I hope we all remember that the main purpose of the ttnut forum is to promote discussion among TT modellers, ALL OVER THE WORLD!! Review of this thread will show that several countries have participated!!!! Thanks again to ConducTTor for providing the forum to have these discussions. :thumbup:
milwrd1

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:40 pm

My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby richardedmonds » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:00 pm

I hope all this discussion about the MTB SW1200, specifically the coupler mounting issues, is not interpreted negatively by MTB. It is a great model.

I don't see why really it's not their fault that we don't have an actual TT coupler that is adapted or used by everybody is it. None of this discussion really critiscised anything about the SW1200 in fact quite the opposite in as much as now everybody knows how to fix the coupler of their choice.
richardedmonds

Previous

Return to Prototypes / Models