June 2016 setup at BCSME

Re: June 2016 setup at BCSME

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:45 am

I was there early Saturday morning with the missing modules.
Left Bjoern and Tibi running things when I went off to work at 10 AM, then back in the afternoon after stopping at the Mini Maker Faire. By then Terry was there.

Things ran well. Got my train ride. Shut down at 5PM and off to a better dinner than Friday night.

New modules:
20160613bjoerns baseball diamond module.jpg
Bjoerns new baseball diamond module.

20160613abandoned cross track.jpg
One of my new modules with an abandoned cross track.

20160613abandoned spur.jpg
New module with the hint of an abandoned spur.

20160613mini adaptor module.jpg
New adapter module (1/2 BG1).
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:59 am

Arrived early Sunday to get a good parking spot.
Again the display ran well.
Terry worked on the couplers on his passenger car set and succeeded on getting a train that stayed together.
Bjoern worked on modules. Swapped them into the display for testing.

We ran trains, watched the crowd, and answered questions. The layout being low was a temptations to all the kids. Not too many touched. Mostly the very young. Had to rerail a few trains. No damage done.

Got my tender ride on a the steam engine they were running.

At five PM we started a controlled pack up.
I now have seven plastic boxes and one cardboard box of modules.
Each box is numbered. Each module is numbered as to which box it goes in and which layer: top, middle(if there are three modules in a box) and bottom. This will help with packing up at Indianapolis and future shows.

Any modules with issues were noted so they can be worked on.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:15 am

As noted in an earlier post, we used a Z21 to control the layout.

Here are the various controllers we used with the Z21.
20160613 Z21 controllers.jpg
We used a tablet, a Roco Maus, a Digitrax Duplex radio throttle and receiver, and several Cell Phones.

To make it easier to use a plugged in throttle we are going to add a pair of NCE throttle plugins to the front and back of the module with the reverser on it. These will be cabled together and to the Z21. This will allow us to plug in a throttle or two on the outside of the layout.

One issue with the Z21 is that the layout is all one electrical block, so a short anywhere, shuts the whole layout down.

To reduce the effect of short circuits there needs to be some sort of power management. When using my Digitrax system the two loops are on separate power districts. We need to set this up on the Z21.
After Indianapolis I will look into this. For now as the layout is working well I don't want to change things.

Putting models on the tracks in the staging yard caused a few issues so it was we decided to install a kill switch on the track feeding the staging yard. The switch was installed Sunday. The track was cut Monday.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Previous

Return to Events