June 2016 Model Railroader magazine

Re: June 2016 Model Railroader magazine

Postby Bernd » Sun May 08, 2016 7:38 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:F&C has been around a long time. Did he tell you how he makes his molds? Must be pretty efficient to make that many types of cars. Did he show any interest in making some TT kits, seems like they'd make sense due to the shortage of TT products and the surplus of HO stuff made now days.......DaveB

Yes they have been around a long time. Over that time he has improved his product also. He wasn't to cooperative in talking about his technique. Talked to me like I wouldn't know what he was explaining. So I left it at that. I talked to him before I got interested in TT.

Another guy that is no longer in business is Gene Fusco. He owned "Rail Yard Models".

http://www.pbase.com/image/78030080

Made excellent resin cast models. I got a lot of information on his resin casting as far as materials is concerned. He got me started in giving resin casting a try. He now works for InterMoutain Railway Company.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Richard-B » Mon May 09, 2016 12:44 am

ctxmf74 wrote: <snip> Anyone know the production numbers for the Gold Coast freight cars?
The Versers have said "In the neighborhood of 2000 cars total... split somewhat unevenly between '37 AARs (on the heavy side) and Fowler clones (somewhat less)".

Pre-Lok-n-Roll production of course...
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby milwrd1 » Mon May 09, 2016 6:18 pm

To get back to the posted topic........

The June 2016 MR has an article on Battery powered locomotives, has anybody thought about using this in a TT scale engine? I don't know if the parts are small enough at this time to be considered for use in a TT size locomotive.

The T-Trak modules information in the June 2016 MR was also interesting (all of the photos (6 pages / 12 modules) in the Trackside Photos section were T-Trak modules; also, an article was included on basic scenery construction for a T-Trak module). It's amazing what some people can put on a 12 x 14 inch module. :thumbup:
milwrd1

Postby Bernd » Mon May 09, 2016 8:29 pm

milwrd1 wrote:To get back to the posted topic........

The June 2016 MR has an article on Battery powered locomotives, has anybody thought about using this in a TT scale engine? I don't know if the parts are small enough at this time to be considered for use in a TT size locomotive.

I'm toying around with that idea. I have an HO project started that will be powered with batteries. It would work great in TT if EMD F units and Alco FA's and PA's were available. You could store the batteries in the B unit. I have been giving though of doing something in TT scale using a scratchbuilt boxcab diesel. Using a 6 volt motor. That way you'd only need a 7.4V Lithium-Ion battery for power. Oh and R/C controlled also.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby milwrd1 » Tue May 10, 2016 4:57 pm

Very interesting, Bernd.

The MR article uses Neil Stanton's Battery Power Supply (BPS) voltage control and charging circuit board with a single cell LiPo battery (see www.s-cab.com). This system raises battery voltage from 3.7v to 12 volts, in addition to being able to charge the battery from any track voltage greater than 5 volts. Seems like this allows using 12 volt motors and a single cell battery, eliminating some of the space (and weight) issues.

Keep us informed how your development progresses.

Anybody look at the T-Trak modules in the magazine? Amazing.
milwrd1

Postby Bernd » Tue May 10, 2016 7:26 pm

milwrd1 wrote:Very interesting, Bernd.

The MR article uses Neil Stanton's Battery Power Supply (BPS) voltage control and charging circuit board with a single cell LiPo battery (see http://www.s-cab.com). This system raises battery voltage from 3.7v to 12 volts, in addition to being able to charge the battery from any track voltage greater than 5 volts. Seems like this allows using 12 volt motors and a single cell battery, eliminating some of the space (and weight) issues.

Keep us informed how your development progresses.

Anybody look at the T-Trak modules in the magazine? Amazing.

Ah but using two Li-Po batteries and a 6 volt motor eliminates the need for a buck booster to bring the voltage up. There's noting wrong with using a 6 volt motor. One of the reasons for 12 volt motor use was that's all they had back then in small motors.

Will keep you guys informed as I progress in the development.

And no I haven't seen the article on T-Trak modules. I did see a T-Trak module live last year at the RIT Tiger Tracks show here in Rochester. There module was in a small suit case type carrying case.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Fri May 13, 2016 2:45 pm

Picked up the June issue of MR today. The T-Track modules are very interesting. When "T" was mentioned I thought is was T scale (1:450 or 3mm). I now see that it's N scale and it refers to the track sections. Off to check out the website.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby RodTT » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:55 pm

Going back to the original post, the MR article started off ‘TT scale has disappeared from our consciousness’.
When my layout 'Naples Street' is finished, which won't be long now, I'll be doing a write-up with plenty photos and sending it to them.
You'd think that with the preponderance of HO and N in their mag, they might be interested in something a little different.
Has anyone else submitted any TT layout features to them?
RodTT

Postby Bernd » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:37 pm

RodTT wrote:Has anyone else submitted any TT layout features to them?

I've been working on a module that I want to eventually send to Railroad Model Craftsman someday. First I have to get the module finished.

Bernd
Bernd

Previous

Return to General Discussion