June 2016 Model Railroader magazine

Re: June 2016 Model Railroader magazine

Postby oldtrainguy » Thu May 05, 2016 2:41 pm

I think Arseny had a couple of articles in MRH last year on putting together some TT scale kits. I'm just going from memory but I think one was the water tower and the other was a passenger station kit. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Don
oldtrainguy

Postby Bernd » Thu May 05, 2016 4:44 pm

The old catch 22 scenario. What do you do first? Let people know that TT scale exists and hope to draw modelers in that have scratchbuilding traits? Or produce models and hope somebody discovers TT scale and the number of modelers grows?

If you look over the history for model railroading I'm sure you'll find it started with guys scratchbuilding since nothing was available. Then those guys started garage type business to produce for the model railroad community. And today we have the Big Model companies.

So, a good article on North American modeling with what is available right now is probably the best way to go. As I've mentioned before I'm looking at a couple of possible articles to write. All I need is a bit of more ambition and not so many pressing projects. I keep pecking away at a couple of projects that will have article potential.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Arseny » Thu May 05, 2016 4:59 pm

oldtrainguy wrote:I think Arseny had a couple of articles in MRH last year on putting together some TT scale kits. I'm just going from memory but I think one was the water tower and the other was a passenger station kit. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I've posted some messages on their forum and in the blog, but not in the magazine.
Arseny

Postby oldtrainguy » Thu May 05, 2016 7:56 pm

Ok, yes, I remember now.
You created some postings here on the forum about putting those kits together.

Sorry about that.
I get confused easily. :crazy:
Don
oldtrainguy

Postby modorney » Thu May 05, 2016 9:21 pm

Mods - delete if inappropriate:
Attachments
TT_MR.jpg
modorney

Postby TiTan downunder » Fri May 06, 2016 1:05 am

>> we need more like it to grow the scale. Folks will buy TT if they know there's future competitive products in the pipeline. <<

There are! and probably sooner that you might think. I can guarantee that one!

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby modorney » Fri May 06, 2016 9:52 am

To me, one of the greatest advantages of TT is operations. N scale is simply too small to be seen, and it is so easy to derail a car with your sleeve. 37 percent smaller than HO works out well.

However, HO has the advantage of having large numbers of inexpensive cars. With Kadee couplers for a buck apiece, and metal wheel trucks for 5 bucks a pair, and a trip to the swap meet means lots of cars for under $10.

And with software, an operating session can run with fewer cars - you don't need a ten-track staging yard, where cars sit idle until three hours into your operating session.

This means we need lots of cars for 15 bucks apiece, or something like that. They don't have to look special (think Athearn blue box); just run well. A hundred cars for $1500 would make for a decent op session. Box cars, reefers and flat cars would be cheaper, and they would make up the bulk of the fleet. Gons, hoppers and tank cars could be a few bucks more - but total less than a third of the fleet. Injection molding or resin could get these car bodies down to the $10 range.

Operations seems to be treated as a separate part of the hobby, probably for a number of reasons. TT might be a good way to bring it back in?
modorney

Postby milwrd1 » Fri May 06, 2016 10:01 am

Bernd wrote:The old catch 22 scenario. What do you do first? Let people know that TT scale exists and hope to draw modelers in that have scratchbuilding traits? Or produce models and hope somebody discovers TT scale and the number of modelers grows?

If you look over the history for model railroading I'm sure you'll find it started with guys scratchbuilding since nothing was available. Then those guys started garage type business to produce for the model railroad community. And today we have the Big Model companies.

So, a good article on North American modeling with what is available right now is probably the best way to go. As I've mentioned before I'm looking at a couple of possible articles to write. All I need is a bit of more ambition and not so many pressing projects. I keep pecking away at a couple of projects that will have article potential.

Bernd

I agree. As mentioned in my post of 5/5, we (myself included), have to provide the material(s) for publication. The magazines (large and small) will publish the articles, and there may be a waiting period, but they will publish the articles or any mention of new products in the scale. WE have to provide the information to them.
milwrd1

Postby milwrd1 » Fri May 06, 2016 10:04 am

modorney wrote:To me, one of the greatest advantages of TT is operations. N scale is simply too small to be seen, and it is so easy to derail a car with your sleeve. 37 percent smaller than HO works out well.

Operations seems to be treated as a separate part of the hobby, probably for a number of reasons. TT might be a good way to bring it back in?

I agree with this also, even though we are getting a little bit off of the designated topic. :thumbup:
milwrd1

Postby modorney » Fri May 06, 2016 12:16 pm

> I agree with this also, even though we are getting a little bit off of the designated topic.

True - a bit of a swerve. N scale got a boost from its amenity to operations, especially among young, well sighted operators. I don't know if there were many TT operating sessions in the 50's and 60's?
modorney

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion