June 2016 Model Railroader magazine

Re: June 2016 Model Railroader magazine

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue May 03, 2016 5:57 pm

areibel wrote:After a quick read it doesn't look like they're bashing, but just giving a sort of dark history. It's too bad they didn't do a little research and figure out we're not quite dead yet?

I agree, more research should have been done, as all is not doom and gloom in TT world.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby oldtrainguy » Tue May 03, 2016 7:20 pm

Maybe a few 'Letters to the Editor' indicating how out of date the article is might prompt them to do a short followup with more up to date info.

If the article ends around 1995 does that mean its been sitting in their 'waiting to publish' pile since 1995?
Don
oldtrainguy

Postby areibel » Tue May 03, 2016 7:47 pm

This column is basically the "collectors corner" in MR. They've had series in the past about Varney and some of the old HO manufacturers, I think they've done different scales in the past too. I guess the decided to do something different this month.
The last article on TT I can remember in Model Railroader was in the 90's, I think sometime in 1994. They had a short blurb about the individual or company that was trying to bring TT back- remember the guy selling all the Berliner T sets on Ebay? Back then they could have included Coastal Engineering, I think Jim O started in the late 80's with his resin castings. But I don't think they did, I'll have to check the MR magazine index and see if I have that copy.
But I think Richard is right, a little updated info supplied to them couldn't hurt. And at a recent NMRA meet in Pittsburgh I went to Stephen Priest (editor of RMC) said they're always looking for articles, as is Model Railroad Hobbyist online and the NMRA magazine (editied by Mr. Priest's wife, who gave a class on how and what to write). . Good pics are important if they're relevant to the article, and if you can submit them in .tiff format instead of .jpeg it's recommended. And they're willing to take raw info and edit it into an article if you're not the world's greatest writer. But for anyone submitting, Mrs. Priest suggested submitting to one magazine first, don't do a "shotgun" approach and submit to a bunch at once. Pick one and submit, if you get published it'll be easier to get other related articles in other magazines. If not, try a different one but it sounds like if the idea is good they'll go for it!
areibel

Postby modorney » Tue May 03, 2016 7:55 pm

> But for anyone submitting, Mrs. Priest suggested submitting to one magazine first, don't do a "shotgun" approach

I agree - pick your favorite and take their advice, and style. Don't forget Model Railroad Hobbyist - I don't think Joe Fugate would mind if you made their 300 page magazine into a 400 page one!
modorney

Postby Bernd » Wed May 04, 2016 8:13 am

modorney wrote:> But for anyone submitting, Mrs. Priest suggested submitting to one magazine first, don't do a "shotgun" approach

I agree - pick your favorite and take their advice, and style. Don't forget Model Railroad Hobbyist - I don't think Joe Fugate would mind if you made their 300 page magazine into a 400 page one!

I wouldn't be so quick to write one up for Model Railroad Hobbyist. Here's why. http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/magazine/mrh2016-05-may/publishers-musings#new

I suggested a TT scale "scratchbash" article on doing a TT scale boxcab. I then went to the submit article page here. http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/contact/article_idea I filled it out. The "sample writing" is a bit confusing. It looks like it wants a file up loaded. Asked Joe for clarification. His answer was less than helpful as can be read in the first link.

I had an article published in the July-October 2014 issue in RMC. It happened during their transition to White River Productions. There was very little changed from my original script and all pictures were used. White River Production has a full time staff for publishing, Model Railroad Hobbyist doesn't. Sending an article in to a company that's had years experience would be more advantageous then sending one into Model Railroad Hobbyist that has only a part time staff.

As far as sending anything in to MR, and this is just my opinion, would be a waste of time.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby modorney » Wed May 04, 2016 12:28 pm

Lots of good points, Bernd.

Every magazine has its "quirks", and if you are the right guy at the right time, you get published.

RMC had an interesting past. For years, it had limited financing, and a spotty schedule, often due to printers not getting paid. But they were easy to deal with - lots of friends got stuff published.

MR is tricky, since each issue is "designed" with what they have in the inventory - probably five years worth.

A good place to practice is your NMRA region newsletter.
modorney

Postby Bernd » Wed May 04, 2016 12:52 pm

modorney wrote:Lots of good points, Bernd.

A good place to practice is your NMRA region newsletter.

Unfortunately I'm not a NMRA member.

I just left a post on http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/256411.aspx Let's see if traffic increases from the post.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby ctxmf74 » Wed May 04, 2016 2:34 pm

I wouldn't worry about the MRH submission form, if you can write an interesting article Joe will publish it. They especially like things that can be applied across various scales so using TT to illustrate things modelers in other scale might find interesting would be a good way to introduce more TT to the masses. The big advantage of MRH is it's free so reaches a lot of folks that the for pay magazine don't. I haven't read MR or RMC since MRH appeared. MRH also approaches the hobby from a holistic view point and is not primarily interested in selling the latest hot stuff so there's probably more TT receptive readers than the would be at other magazines......DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby milwrd1 » Thu May 05, 2016 11:52 am

areibel wrote:After a quick read it doesn't look like they're bashing, but just giving a sort of dark history. It's too bad they didn't do a little research and figure out we're not quite dead yet?

The recent article published in the June 2016 MR is factually correct and I agree that perhaps a little more research could have been done to bring the readers up to date, since the timeline in the article stops at 1995. The last paragraph references the perserverence of TT in Eastern Europe and Russia (but fails to mention England).

Keith Wills (the author of the MR article), for years wrote the Collector Consist series in RMC, which was always of interest. Mr. Wills apparently left RMC when it was purchased (?) by White River publications and continued the series of vintage model RR articles under the heading of "Heritage Fleet" at MR.

Several previous posts mention the publication of TT articles in the model press. Remember, it's up to us (myself included) to put together these articles and summit them for publication. At the 2 NMRA National Conventions I've been to, I mentioned the subject of TT to the MR and RMC guys and the answer provided was the same. They would be glad to publish the articles if they had any. They stressed the importance of quality photographs. There may be a waiting list and there would certainly be a greater chance for publication if the article contained info which could be applicable to other scales, but it all comes down to if we want the articles, we have to write them and submit them. I don't feel that these 2 publications purposely avoid the publications of articles or of mentioning the availability of TT scale items. If I remember correctly, the MTB / Saz Model SW 1200 was mentioned in Model Railroader.
milwrd1

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu May 05, 2016 1:44 pm

"I don't feel that these 2 publications purposely avoid the publications of articles or of mentioning the availability of TT scale items. If I remember correctly, the MTB / Saz Model SW 1200 was mentioned in Model Railroader."

Yeah, the Saz model switcher was mentioned and advertised in MRH . The publishers and readers are very receptive to TT scale, the only problem is lack of models for sale. The Saz model switcher is a great product and we need more like it to grow the scale. Folks will buy TT if they know there's future competitive products in the pipeline. Look at it from a buyers perspective, why should they pick TT when there are so many great products available in other scales. The only answer is build up the supply so TT can compete based solely on it's great size advantage( more railroad in a given space than HO scale and easier to work with and see than N scale)....DaveB
ctxmf74

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion