June 2016 Model Railroader magazine

Re: June 2016 Model Railroader magazine

Postby Bernd » Sun May 01, 2016 3:08 pm

ConducTTor wrote:I think Im on their forum as well. I want to read the article first so I can respond properly.

Yes, that's a definite. Don't want to make TT scale look bad.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Sun May 01, 2016 3:21 pm

modorney wrote:As far as writing goes, RMC, and the NMRA magazine are always looking for articles. The more pictures, the better. And,, your local NMRA region and division always needs articles. And divisions and regions need clinics. There is a desire to "expand" regional conventions where there is solid content on Saturday and Sunday. A person could attend without having to take time off from work. This means more clinics are needed.

It would help if TT had a national organization, with a national convention to create some press. Or a very active NMRA sig - like OPsig/LDsig - to spread the word.

We could copy the S gauge people - they reserve the inside front cover of RMC for business ads (we could do the inside back cover?) They have a magazine, and they have a convention.

One of the greatest benefits to TT is operating sessions - the cars are bigger than N scale, which means old guys can read the numbers. That is something to emphasize.

I think more modelers can be reached through a magazine article. Once more modelers get interested in TT then one can do something like the S gaugers do. One other important consideration is rolling stock. Can't promote the hobby without that. It would be nice if a Bachmann like company would start turning out motive power and rolling stock. That's how On30 got so popular. You have to grow the modeler base beyond the few that are active here on TTnut.

Here's a good example of being discouraged to not get into the scale. Was thinking about passenger cars. Where does one get passenger trucks, the North American kind, not European look "almost" alike.

Here's an opportunity to promote TT scale. http://mrhpub.com/2016-05-may/online/files/11.html
I've already asked if they are interested. Positive answer = YES, they are interested. Any takers besides me?

Bernd
Bernd

Postby modorney » Mon May 02, 2016 1:23 pm

> It would be nice if a Bachmann like company would start turning out motive power and rolling stock. That's how On30 got so popular. You have to grow the modeler base beyond the few that are active here on TTnut.

That is so true! Bachmann made On30 grow like crazy. I would like to see a TT company make train sets with US prototypes (I think some already make Euro prototype train sets?)

> Here's a good example of being discouraged to not get into the scale. Was thinking about passenger cars. Where does one get passenger trucks, the North American kind

A basic passenger truck (think Super Chief 1950's) and a basic freight truck (1945 friction bearing) would be a good thing to have on shapeways. A few specialty trucks - like Fox - are there. How difficult is it to draw up a cad model for these? What wheelsets are commercially available, and what interface specs are needed? (angle of cone, tip to tip distance?
modorney

Postby Tom Dempsey » Mon May 02, 2016 1:28 pm

Once again, discussions already had multiple times on this forum folks. Perhaps instead of a yearly rehash of the same complaints/requests/resolves/etc., we should all (ME included) type less and build more.
Tom Dempsey

Postby Bernd » Mon May 02, 2016 3:48 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:Once again, discussions already had multiple times on this forum folks. Perhaps instead of a yearly rehash of the same complaints/requests/resolves/etc., we should all (ME included) type less and build more.

You're absolutely correct Tom. Working on some projects. Code 70 jigs almost done. Have Code 40 rail and joiners so Code 40 jigs are up next for those interested in scratchbuilding track using Code 40. Two freelanced boxcabs in the works, plus two diorama's. All in TT scale.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Richard-B » Tue May 03, 2016 12:11 pm

For review and comment: The 20th-Century view of TT
June 2016 MR
MR June2016 TT.pdf
TT Article - June 2016 MR
(1.81 MiB) Downloaded 194 times
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Arseny » Tue May 03, 2016 12:14 pm

As for me, I know some proverbs. Every cloud has a silver lining. There is no great loss without some gain. And without publicity there is no prosperity.
Look, it is publicity for TT! Maybe they told something wrong in this article, and did not mention some efforts and modern achievements in TT, but anyway they mentioned TT in primary model magazine. So any modeller (especially young one) will say: "TT? Hmmm... I've heard something about it" instead of "TT?! What the hell it is at all?!". Not too bad.
One marketing expert said: "You can praise, you can scold, but above all - don't garble the name!" :lol:
Last edited by Arseny on Tue May 03, 2016 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arseny

Postby Richard-B » Tue May 03, 2016 12:48 pm

Arseny wrote:One marketing expert said: "You can praise, you can scold, but above all - don't garble the name!" :lol:
The most common version here in the US is:
"I don't care what they say about me, just make sure they spell my name right!"

The article just sort of 'ends' in 1995... so the obvious next move is another article:
TT-scale in the 21st Century!

I gave a PowerPoint clinic in 2014... which I can re-write into text form. It cites the many new suppliers and products available... I may need some higher rez photos for actual publication.
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby areibel » Tue May 03, 2016 1:05 pm

After a quick read it doesn't look like they're bashing, but just giving a sort of dark history. It's too bad they didn't do a little research and figure out we're not quite dead yet?
areibel

Postby Tom Dempsey » Tue May 03, 2016 1:19 pm

Well, maybe...
Tom Dempsey

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion