jp's questions

jp's questions

Postby j p » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:30 pm

I have assembled Christoph's "all wood boxcar" kit some time ago and then I was told that there was no prototype for it.
I would like to avoid that and ask first :)
I have got many kits without any instructions and there are some parts of the kits where it is diffcult for me to identify their use. When checking the internet, I found out that some kits have wrong ends. Also the type of uderframe is often not clear from the limited number of pictures on the net. Therefore I would like to ask for some help.

As for the Christoph's kit, I tried to kitbash it to something what would resemble a real prototype.
kitbashing1.jpg
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j p

Re: jp's questions

Postby j p » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:45 pm

Question nr.1: 36' wood reefer Oppenheimer Casing Co. OPPX 8006
There are some parts which I cannot identify (marked red)
What kind of underframe should it have?
Color scheme? Roof, ends, underframe.
The cast reefer doors look good but they would not fit the printed sides.
36' reefer_question1.jpg
j p

Postby areibel » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:15 pm

Those parts you've marked are the queenposts and turnbuckles- you use them to detail the underframe with a couple pieces of brass wire.
This article shows how they shouold be installed, it's not TT but it has some good pics!
http://rrmodelcraftsman.com/extraboard/ ... ipwood.php
And for color, you don't need to be very fussy. The ends and roof were usually a dark shade of boxcar red or brown, but the paint there wasn't for decoration- it just covered the wood! The only ones I've seen that are brighter were some of the yellow cars- many of them had red ends and roof, but an older car would have darkened down with age and weathering.
areibel

Postby j p » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:45 pm

Thank you! That article is excellent! This reefer will get more details :)
Any suggestion for the truss rods' diameter? I have a brass wire 0.17 mm (used for electric discharge machine) and a zinc-coated iron wire 0.35 mm.
j p

Postby scaro » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:32 pm

j p wrote:I have assembled Christoph's "all wood boxcar" kit some time ago and then I was told that there was no prototype for it.
I would like to avoid that and ask first :)
I have got many kits without any instructions and there are some parts of the kits where it is diffcult for me to identify their use. When checking the internet, I found out that some kits have wrong ends. Also the type of uderframe is often not clear from the limited number of pictures on the net. Therefore I would like to ask for some help.

As for the Christoph's kit, I tried to kitbash it to something what would resemble a real prototype.
kitbashing1.jpg

(my questions come soon)

great work.

what is the prototype for this? love the bracing.
scaro

Postby areibel » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:05 pm

Thanks JP!
I would use the .17mm wire, that's a little less than 1 inch in TT. The .35 would be almost 2 inches, that's too thick. The holes in the turnbuckles might be a little too big (they were probably made for .010 inch wire, about .25mm). That's not a problem though, just position them and put a small drop of ACC on them to hold them in place.
areibel

Postby j p » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:43 am

scaro wrote:
great work.

what is the prototype for this? love the bracing.

oops, I haven't mentioned it. The prototype is Pennsy X-23
http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/images/gallery/boxauto/prr538111.jpg
j p

Postby j p » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:03 am

Pennsy X-23 progress:

kitbashing4.jpg

kitbashing5.jpg

kitbashing6.jpg

And a new question:
I have assembled PVM's AAR 40' boxcar. There were decals with it for Texas & Pacific.
The decal instructions say that the boxcar is red with black ends and roof.
The pictures I've found on internet are either all red or with black ends and red roof.
Who can help?

PVM_AAR40_boxcar_1.jpg

PVM_AAR40_boxcar_2.jpg
j p

Postby areibel » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:21 pm

For a steel boxcar, I would say all red is safe. A while ago I was lucky enough to talk to an old timer that worked at the former Erie RR car repair shops back in the 1950's and 1960's. I asked him about how they used to paint cars that they had repaired or built, he said "Fast!" and laughed. He said many of the cars came with a nicer paint job when they were purchased, and sometimes they would do a special car for a photograph or something else but usually it was get them fixed and get them back to work! He said on the normal cars it was get them fixed and get the paint on, they didn't spend much time being fancy. Then as soon as they could they would stencil on the herald and numbers then off it went. The only time they did anything different was if they were fixing a car from a different railroad that they had damaged (in a wresk or derailment). Then they had to make it the same as it was, so it might get two paint colors but that was rare. Especially after the railroads got deeper into financial trouble, one color was cheaper and faster than painting two colors.
He did say on older (wood) cars they would usually fix the car, then the roof was covered with tar paper. Or if the roof was leaking they would paint it with tar to seal it up (they did this on maintenance of way equipment too, so even a steel car might have a black roof or black patches). But a more modern car in revenue service would get painted.
areibel

Postby j p » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:31 pm

Thank you!
So in general, I can make black roof on wood boxcars and reefers (=tar paper) and same color (red) as the car for steel boxcars?
j p

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models