jp's questions

Re: jp's questions

Postby j p » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:19 pm

gerhard_k wrote:Hello, j p -
For your 2-6-0, I'm pretty certain it is a Southern Pacific M-something (M for mogul, the American generic name for a 2-6-0). This would make sense since I think HP was in Southern California = SP territory, and your picture looks much like the Sunset Models recent HO brass M-6, which is easy to find pictures of. But all the M series engines (and I'm on vacation, away from my books) had internal valve gear except for the last one, M-21, so that may not be accurate, but (back when there was more concern with having the models look good rather than be accurate) the motion of the outside valve gear was more appealing, making the model more sale-able.
Good luck with your repair project - Gerhard

Hello Gerhard
Thank you for your help.
HP was (and still is) located in Hardford City, Indiana.
The model on the picture is not a HP. It is custom made out of a HP kit. The drive and the boiler are HP. The cab is not HP as well as most of the details.
I checked SP M6 and it is quite close to it, but it is not what it was supposed to be. When you look at the headlight, it is on the top of the boiler. SP M6 had the headlight in the middle, HP Products 2-6-0 too. Why would someone bother to make a new headlight at a wrong place? But at least I know now that I should search for something similar to SP M6.
Boston & Maryland 2-6-0 is closer, yet the headlight does not match.
j p

Postby TiTan downunder » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:08 am

1. 4-8-0
It looks very good. The motor is placed in the tender, but the engine's wheels are driven. It runs! Some minor repair of fallen-off parts is needed, of course.
But what is the prototype?

Hello JP

Probably not a Great Northern G class " Mastadon " . These were old loco's with the last ones built in 1900. Most GN steam loco's are easy to spot as the bottom of the cab is level with the running boards & 90% plus of their loco's had Belpair boilers, same as Pennsy steamers. The mid weight G-3's lasted the longest but, only 3 show on the 1952 roster # 723, 743 & 748, according to my book from Charles Martin.

Sorry can't be of more help

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby j p » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:06 pm

A new question:
I have one of Elmer's resin kits, a PS-1 40' boxcar with combined door. (PVM 2010)
I tried to search for some prototype pictures and found only this Nothern Pacific.
It can be one of my future decal "projects". Would anyone be interested in this or maybe in another paint scheme? (I'd need pictures if I should make something else than NP)

j p

Postby areibel » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:10 pm

I think the NP car would be an excellent choice!
areibel

Postby milwrd1 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:37 pm

Since I model the Northwest, a set of NP decals would be most welcome.
milwrd1

Postby scaro » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:01 pm

i guess you have seen the thread on the Idaho panhandle blog. i might model one with the railTT composite boxcar roof, which is right for one of the runs they did. i'd take a set of NP decals for it. like you i found it difficult to find other pictures but accurail basically list every major road in the NW as owners. MILW or SOO might be good choices, both big roads where there is no TT sized lettering in the microscale decal sets. as i look at microscale's choices for GN boxcars there is a variety of lettering and heralds there, so it may be that you can do a GN one in TT already.
scaro

Postby Marquette » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:44 pm

I've already got another boxcar in the "ready to start work" pile, an NP-specific rebuild... but one can always use a couple of NP cars. Does anyone know for sure when this style of lettering scheme was introduced? If 1958 or before I'd definitely want a set.

There's this interesting phenomenon, that chances are that in any random pile of railway photos a majority of them will have at least one NP boxcar visible. :D

Re: this specific car, though: I seem to recall that one of the GN's experimental boxcar schemes from the early or mid 1960s was painted onto such a car. Gimme a few days to follow up on that question.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby TiTan downunder » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:27 am

Decals are available from Gerry Glow for these 40' combo boxcars. Sets are available for CB& , GN in 2 versions ( slant script & Empire Builder script ) , MILW & for NP ( as per your photo ) .

The GN " Circus Cars " were from 2 series of cars. The double door cars from the 3200-3499 series and the single door cars from the 18000 - 19499.

Hope this help

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby Zs12 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:41 am

I think, It could be immense useful for all interested TTers to have a global list of available decal sets with pictures, instead of div. threats for every single car - e.g. there tt-scale-models.html
Zs12

Postby j p » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:15 am

TiTan downunder wrote:Decals are available from Gerry Glow for these 40' combo boxcars. Sets are available for CB& , GN in 2 versions ( slant script & Empire Builder script ) , MILW & for NP ( as per your photo ) .

The GN " Circus Cars " were from 2 series of cars. The double door cars from the 3200-3499 series and the single door cars from the 18000 - 19499.

Hope this help

Ian

Thank you! That saves some time.

Jan
j p

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models