jp's questions

Re: jp's questions

Postby areibel » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:47 pm

Yes, BUT! Some of the older reefers (the "Billboard" reefers with the fancy sides) would have the roofs and ends painted a contrasting color- They could be boxcar red, red, black or even green or something else! Those are the ones you need to do some research on, but those were pretty much gone before World War II
areibel

Postby railtwister » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:09 pm

Tar paper roofs usually had visible lapped seams, and canvas roofs frequently did not. Tar or pitch could have been used on just about any type of roof, especially as a quick fix for one that leaked, but canvas covered roofs were just as likely to be heavily painted, either the same color as the rest of the car or perhaps a contrasting color. Sometimes a granulated aggregate might have been added to the roof paint to increase durability. If the car shows the individual roofing planks (as might be modeled with scribed siding material), it would likely have just been painted, since tar would tend to fill the seams, making them hard to see. A tin roof would have been painted as well, if it wasn't galvanized. Paint on galvanizing usually doesn't bond very well, and frequently would flake off, making for interesting weathering effects.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby scaro » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:59 pm

scaro

Postby j p » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:15 am

I tried to find some pictures of the roof for my 36' reefers, but the best thing I could find was this:

The PRR X-23 wooden 40' boxcar got improvized lettering on one side and is on hold for now. I have found a local manufacturer of decals with ALPS and my plan is to make more correct lettering for it in January.
kitbashing7.jpg
j p

Postby j p » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:37 pm

The 36' reefer is almost finished. The sides need ladders, grabirons, and steps and the ends need decals.
My question is: would you make the ladder on the sides black or boxcar red? I could not find any picture of the prototype, only pictures of some models - which may be very different from the prototype.

I even asked our local library for help. I could not expect that a local library in a small town in Denmark would have anything about U.S. reefers. They surprised me. They asked other libraries for help and got me "Refrigerator Car Color Guide" by Gene Green from University of Missouri - St. Louis and "Billboard Refrigerator Cars" by Richard H. Hendrickson & Edward S. Kaminski from The State Historical Society of Wisconsin! Unfortunately, neither of the books has a picture of a reefer in this paint scheme.

36' reefer OPPX side.jpg

36' reefer OPPX roof.jpg
j p

Postby areibel » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:29 pm

Looks great JP! :clap:
areibel

Postby TTTerrific » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:35 am

jp, nice work! I love "billboard" reefers.

I did a quick run through the internet checking "Oppenheimer Casing Compay boxcar." A number of results popped up--all in blue sides with blue ladders (plastic, cast-on). Your reefer is yellow and I assume is a model of a "new" car. Typically car ladders and grabs would be, in usual order:
a. same color as dominant color on side of car (yellow);
b. boxcar red or tuscan red on ends;
c. or, black on sides and ends

I checked The Great Yellow Fleetby White, but there is no photo of the Oppenheimer car in that tome.

I also checked Billboard Refrigerator Carsby
Hendrickson and Kaminski. There is no photo of this car in that book.

A big problem with modeling the colorful cars of this era is that almost all photos are B/W, which doesn't help much.
TTTerrific

Postby j p » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:14 am

The sides are light-green. It is supposed to be an old 36' wood reefer with truss rods.

I found one darker green model on the internet http://www.westerndepot.com/image_viewer.php/pID/11987/image/KS742-8013.jpg
The rest of the models on the net are in turquoise.
Unfortunately, I cannot take the color of the models as a reference. I have seen examples where one manufacturer makes the color wrong and all the others just copy the mistake to their products in other scales.

The color of my reefer is something in between the two. It is made out of John Harmon's kit. Perhaps he got the color of the sides correctly. I cannot check that. Anyway, the sides can be changed later.
I wanted to learn how to make cars out of those old kits. I made some mistakes on this one and learned some tricks. The next reefer will be better.
j p

Postby j p » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:05 am

First of all, some news from the workshop:
HP Products' Budd coach got a facelift. Pennsylvania scheme from 1950's applied. New trucks. Kadee coupler.
(the picture is not very clear, sorry. I'll try to make a better one). The passengers complained that there were no seats for them, so the seats should be added too soon.

GG1.jpg

Today's questions are for steam experts:
What is this? What could be the prototype for those steam engines?

1. 4-8-0
It looks very good. The motor is placed in the tender, but the engine's wheels are driven. It runs! Some minor repair of fallen-off parts is needed, of course.
But what is the prototype?
4-8-0.jpg

4-8-0_b.jpg

Perhaps this Great Northern's engine? Any other ideas?

2. 2-6-0
This was kitbashed from HP Products engine. I have no idea yet about the prototype. I can see from its front that it went through a very rough handling. The frame is bended and the pivot lifts the front of the engine because of that. It deserves a better care. Any suggestions for a prototype?
2-6-0.jpg

Thank you for your suggestions! Modification of the models can be also considered.
I cannot ask the original owner, I bought them from John Harmon. He got them "somewhere" some time ago.
j p

Postby gerhard_k » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:21 pm

Hello, j p -
For your 2-6-0, I'm pretty certain it is a Southern Pacific M-something (M for mogul, the American generic name for a 2-6-0). This would make sense since I think HP was in Southern California = SP territory, and your picture looks much like the Sunset Models recent HO brass M-6, which is easy to find pictures of. But all the M series engines (and I'm on vacation, away from my books) had internal valve gear except for the last one, M-21, so that may not be accurate, but (back when there was more concern with having the models look good rather than be accurate) the motion of the outside valve gear was more appealing, making the model more sale-able.
Good luck with your repair project - Gerhard
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models