JMRI and Roco Z21

JMRI and Roco Z21

Postby dileTTante » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:05 pm

Some time ago JMRI implemented support for the Roco Z21 DCC command station. I couldn't get it to work and documentation was minimal. With the latest stable JMRI 4.8 however I can program decoders and run locomotives through the Z21. The computer links by wired ethernet to the Z21 router or wirelessly just like a phone or tablet.

This offers possibilities for running trains with JMRI through the Z21 from a laptop and from devices using the free Engine Driver app. With this, all locomotive settings can be stored on the computer rather than redundantly on each mobile device. In addition, layout operation can be automated partly or completely.

-Terry C
dileTTante

Re: JMRI and Roco Z21

Postby dileTTante » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:48 am

As usual I posted before I had all the facts. JMRI now can accommodate the Roco Z21 -- but using a phone or tablet with Engine Driver app as a hand-held throttle doesn't work.

With the Engine Drive app as a wi-throttle, control of a locomotive is extremely erratic. The loco starts up very slowly and then reaches a dangerously high speed and the controls do nothing in the meantime. Connecting the computer to the router with a cable makes no difference.

From brief messages on the JMRI group on Yahoo, it looks like testers had the same problem. I have tried the latest stable release and later test release. Hopefully it will be solved.

-Terry C
dileTTante

Return to Electric / DCC