January 2012 Model Railroader Project Layout

Re: January 2012 Model Railroader Project Layout

Postby Arseny » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:20 am

Track plan of that "Virginian" Layout

Virginian-plan.jpg

P.S. It is a scan from two pages, so there is a white stripe in the middle of the additional module, sorry.
Arseny

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:42 pm

Thanks Arseny - it's a lot easier to see than the pic in the previous page's link.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:37 pm

Those views always show men operating the layout. I'd like to see women, especially with low necklines.
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:48 pm

:lol:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bill Dixon » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:32 am

Arseny wrote:Track plan of that "Virginian" Layout

Virginian-plan.jpg

P.S. It is a scan from two pages, so there is a white stripe in the middle of the additional module, sorry.

This project layout interested me enough that I purchased an Electronic subscription to MR so I could get all the extras only available to subscribers.

Going to take a while to get started on this layout. As well as accumulating materials for the project (turnouts and flex track) and figuring out what to do about hopper cars, there is too much else to do; new TT-Tracks corner modules to build, a kitchen to finish painting, HO Scale modules to start rebuilding so they can be used in a home layout, a room to be cleaned out for the layouts(HO, HOn3, HOn30, TT-Scale and my wifes Z-Scale) and a show (Trains 2012) to run.

Going to be a busy year. Should be fun!

Bill Dixon
North Vancouver, BC
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby railtwister » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:47 pm

Hi Bill,

I wasn't aware until just now that MR was available as a Digital only subscription. I know that regular subscribers can get a digital edition by paying an extra $10 beyond the $42.95 subscription rate, but I see now on the MR website that the digital-only subscription is the same $42.95 price as the traditional format (paper & mail). So they charge the same rate to you in order for them not to have to pay printing and mailing costs for a 'real' magazine - interesting marketing concept! Will you get the electronic version in a format (like PDF) that will allow you to print it, will you be able to archive it on a CD, or will your access to it go away after the new issue comes out, allowing them to charge even more for an 'electronic back issue'?

Seriously, I would be interested in what the format is, and what you think of the concept after you receive a few issues. I wonder if it will be in a PDF format similar to what is on their DVD archive disk, or will it be different so that they can assure a market for DVD Archive update disks? I have considered getting their all-issues DVD archive, but have read on the web that there seem to be a lot of limitations as to how you may use the files, like they can't be copied to an iPad for convenient reading away from your desktop and the information can only be printed one page at a time should you want a hard copy of any particular article, or series of articles.

Bill in FL
railtwister

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:55 pm

Wow, talk about locking it down. That right there turns me off enough that I won't be subscribing.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby railtwister » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:56 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Wow, talk about locking it down. That right there turns me off enough that I won't be subscribing.

Hi Alex,

I'm already a subscriber to the paper/mail version of MR, and I would like to get the DVD Archive, but since I use a Mac, which has not always been fully compatible with Kalmbach products, AND since I heard the grumbling on the web, I have decided to wait and see what the comments are from those that are actually using the DVD's before I blow my $200. I remember suggesting the DVD's to Andy Sperandeo many years ago (I'm sure I wasn't the only one), because I would like to get rid of all the old magazines that are attracting bugs in my garage. At this point, I don't know if every negative thing I have heard is true, or if there may be work-arounds to any issues that come up.

I do think that charging the same amount for an e-subscription as for a printed copy is a bit greedy of Kalmbach, since their e-sub distribution costs must be negligible.

Bill in FL
railtwister

Previous

Return to Layouts / Track Plans