Italian TT!

Re: Italian TT!

Postby WillYart » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:10 pm

I'm going to have to wait though, no $.
WillYart

Postby LVG1 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:00 pm

WillYart wrote:I'm thinking of getting a few because they are reminiscent of Pullmans here in the U.S. (apparently Pullman manufactured them for Italy).

It's a EUROFIMA car made by FIAT. It was developed by a working-group of 7 West European national railways and several European car manufacturers. It has got absolutely nothing to do with Pullman.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby WillYart » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:43 am

Thanks for the correction. I jumped to conclusions after reading an anecdote about Pullman in Italy. Do you know anything about Italy's experience with Pullmans? I was reading The Story of the Pullman Car, Joseph Husband (1917), p. 65. It mentions,

"...the exclusive possession of the Continental field was not left to Colonel Mann undisputed, for during the year 1875 Mr. Pullman established a shop at Turin, Italy, and under the direction of a Mr. A. Rapp, who was sent on from the Detroit works, a number of cars were constructed for use on through trains on the principal Italian lines."

Best Regards,

Bill
WillYart

Postby WillYart » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:43 am

Thanks for the correction. I jumped to conclusions after reading an anecdote about Pullman in Italy. Do you know anything about Italy's experience with Pullmans? I was reading The Story of the Pullman Car, Joseph Husband (1917), p. 65. It mentions,

"...the exclusive possession of the Continental field was not left to Colonel Mann undisputed, for during the year 1875 Mr. Pullman established a shop at Turin, Italy, and under the direction of a Mr. A. Rapp, who was sent on from the Detroit works, a number of cars were constructed for use on through trains on the principal Italian lines."

Best Regards,

Bill
WillYart

Postby LVG1 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:29 am

Unfortunately, I know nothing specific about Pullman in Europe.

I only red about so-called Pullman cars at CIWL (Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits; the operator of Orient Expesses and further international night trains) made before World War II. But I don't know if they were really made by Pullman or if they only used Pullman design (by license).
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Previous

Return to Links