It's coming

Board rules and such. Read before posting.

Re: It's coming

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:57 pm

After some serious thought, I've come up with something that I'm happy with.

First off, I didn't want to do a traditional contest like best picture or best scratch built model or best weathering or.....you get the point.

Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses and I don't want to disadvantage anyone by picking a specific activity.

So what the hell are we doing you ask?

A little project.
For our international members, before you say "well, this isn't for me", read past the first sentence.

As most of you know, TT is basically non existant in North America and one of my goals in starting this site is to attempt to change that.

I want to put together a TT booklet that members can take to shows or hand to their modeler friends or to anyone that may be interested. This will not be a sales pitch. It's also not about how TT is greatest but got screwed or anything like that. As a matter of fact, there should be absolutely no personal or other opinion involved.

Think of it as a TT factoid. The sales pitch will come on its own by virtue of the facts. What do I mean by this? I want diagrams, pictures, measurements, etc. comparing TT to HO and N. Size of layout comparisons, detail, pulling potential of a TT loco vs an N loco vs a HO loco etc.
For those who want to model European railways, what's available and where can they get it?
Russian railways?
US?
For scratch builders, what does TT have for them?

What resources are available? Manufacturers? Dealers? Articles? Etc., etc.

These are all suggestions to what should be included but are in no way a limited list.

The end product should be in electronic form that can be uploaded to this site and downloaded by anyone for printing or whatever else they want to do with it.

That's the gist. So who wins and what's the prize?

I will choose a random number and post it in a locked thread that no one can view.This will be time / date stamped by the board to insure that the number was chosen before the contest starts. Every member who participates in this project (a single post saying "that sounds good" or anything of that sort will NOT be considered participation) will be allowed to guess what the number is. When we are done with this project, I will unlock the thread and the person closest to my number wins.

Gold Coast Railway has been very kind and will donate one of their wagons towards the prize (all together now - Thank you Felix!) and I will also add something. I haven't decided what exactly my part of the prize will be yet (the indecision is based on availability of product) - I'll let you know as soon as I know.

Let me know what you think and we'll get started. As soon as you guys say "go", I will post the number.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:12 pm

P.S.

All discussion, pictures, uploads, etc. on this subject should take place in this topic.
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:38 pm

P.S.S.

The only people excluded from claiming the prize are myself and gabbysuz (Felix from Gold Coast).
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:54 pm

Fred from Mini-Things Scale Models is going to sweeten the prize (Thanks Fred!!!!!!!!)

He will be adding the following to the winner's purse:

5 TT automobile kits - 40 Ford Woody, 47 Chevy, 49 Desoto, 56 Cadillac & 56 Ford Pick-up.

One of you is about to get a very nice Christmas in July :shock:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby BTTB Fan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:38 pm

Ahem... Go! :thumbup:
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:47 pm

So do you mean an actual booklet or just a hand out? A booklet would imply multiple pages stapled together.

A handout could be as simple as an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper with two folds to make a brochure with 6 - 8 1/2" x 3 4/6" pages. Each page would have a use able space of about 3 1/4" by 8" high.

Pages on sheet of paper.
Back of page: 1 - 6 - 3
Front of page 2 - 4 - 5

Take your piece of paper and fold the right third in first and then the left third.

We have in front of us the cover page (page one). This needs a spiffy TT logo, perhaps the 'Table Top' designation, what the scale is (1:120) and a few images. I would be tempted to put an exact size piece of track on it and a locomotive.

Fold it open to reveal page two. Here is where we have the scale comparisons.

Page three is also now visible. Perhaps a history of what TT is/was/is becoming.

Fold this page open to reveal pages four and five. There is room here for a more in depth discussion of TT. What is available, etc.

Finally there is the back page, page six.
This would be the contact page. here would be the link to this group, link to TT modular standards, links to major manufacturers and most especially links to where to find more information.
Perhaps on the bottom of the page, space for local contact information.

This would give us a simple two sided easy to print handout that anybody could download from this site and hand out.

Regards
Bill Dixon
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:04 pm

BTTB Fan wrote:Ahem... Go! :thumbup:

It's done.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:14 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:So do you mean an actual booklet or just a hand out? A booklet would imply multiple pages stapled together.

Either is fine. I'm not concerned with the number of pages. One page saying "TT is great" won't do. Neither will a book. Something that covers all the bases - if it takes 5 pages ok. If it takes 10 that's ok as well. The idea is to provide all relevant information and resources. Nothing more. We don't want to bore people to death.

I do want a good number of visuals though. A couple of examples: a visual representation of the difference in size between the same layout in HO, TT, N. Pictures of the same prototype models in HO, TT, N to show detail is another good thing. People respond much better to something they can see rather than to something they have to imagine.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:24 pm

ConducTTor wrote: a visual representation of the difference in size between the same layout in HO, TT, N. Pictures of the same prototype models in HO, TT, N to show detail is another good thing.

BTW, the specific point of those two is to show that TT IS the ideal (pun intended) scale. It has more detail than N and requires less space than HO - best of both worlds.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:50 am

ConducTTor wrote: a visual representation of the difference in size between the same layout in HO, TT, N. Pictures of the same prototype models in HO, TT, N to show detail is another good thing.

Here's a photo that shows how the middle size scales literally stack up.
http://pweb.netcom.com/~ctxm/stack.jpg
On the bottom is O scale, then S, HO, TT, and N on top, I didn't have any G or Z scale 50 foot boxcars laying around :>) ...dave
ctxmf74

PreviousNext

Return to About The Board