Is There A TT Scale Curse?

Is There A TT Scale Curse?

Postby railtwister » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:44 pm

After waiting 50 years for a decent American profile TT locomotive, we finally have the SW1200. Last month, when the SW1200's were arriving, it was announced that Gold Coast Model had been sold to Lok-N-Roll in Germany, so the only domestic TT manufacturer left the country just as an American style loco was arriving. At the time, I was able to access both the GCM website and Lok-N-Roll's website, today, there are no links from Google for Lok-N-Roll (other than to post mentioning them on this group), and a search for Gold Coast Models returns a "File Not Found" error message. At the beginning of the month, when I actually could find a website for Lok-N Roll, I saw that the 40' box cars available through them were priced at 49 Euros (plus shipping) which is certainly way beyond my budget.

It seems to me that TT scale is cursed (and always has been), at least in the United States.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Re: Is There A TT Scale Curse?

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:51 pm

You can get to Gold Coast / Lok n Roll by clicking the lime green link at the top of every page (the one that says "Gold Coast").

As for the new prices....nothing I can do :(
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby railtwister » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:03 am

Thanks Alex,

At least that brings up the page I saw early this month, I wonder why Google no longer references the site? I still think there's a curse!

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby Arseny » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:35 am

I beleive the reason is that they do not pay attention to search engine optimisation and promotion.

But if you try to search "lok-n-roll gold coast" or "lok-n-roll boxcars" you'll find their site.

The price for Gold Coast's boxcar is 35.90 ... 41.50 Euros. Not too cheap. :(

...and also some 50ft boxcars available... at the price of 65 Euros. :wall:
Arseny

Postby j p » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:46 am

Arseny wrote:I beleive the reason is that they do not pay attention to search engine optimisation and promotion.

But if you try to search "lok-n-roll gold coast" or "lok-n-roll boxcars" you'll find their site.

The price for Gold Coast's boxcar is 35.90 ... 41.50 Euros. Not too cheap. :(

...and also some 50ft boxcars available... at the price of 65 Euros. :wall:

50ft boxcars are probably handmade and in that case the price would be non-profit. I tried to calculate production costs and it is just impossible in Denmark - even with old injection moulding machine for free and old pad printing machine for free! The taxes are too high. It is slightly better in Germany, but not much better.
Move the production to Kolya to Ukraine. That would help a lot!
j p

Postby MacG » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:30 pm

Outside the European Union you can deduct the German tax (19%) from the prices at the Lok-n-Roll site. For an easy computation divide the price by 1,19.

The Lok-nRoll cars are handmade therefore the higher price. The resin castings must be produced, build together, coated with paint (more than one layer), decaled and finished with a thin clear lacquer. Not to forget the forms for resin castings must be produced. Of details how lasered brass plates as weight for gondolas or brass etched steps I don't want to speak.

Edit: Kolya has already raised his prices.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:39 pm

Unfortunately there is a price for low volume manufacturing. That's the simple reality.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby j p » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:30 pm

MacG wrote:Outside the European Union you can deduct the German tax (19%) from the prices at the Lok-n-Roll site. For an easy computation divide the price by 1,19.

The Lok-nRoll cars are handmade therefore the higher price. The resin castings must be produced, build together, coated with paint (more than one layer), decaled and finished with a thin clear lacquer. Not to forget the forms for resin castings must be produced. Of details how lasered brass plates as weight for gondolas or brass etched steps I don't want to speak.

Edit: Kolya has already raised his prices.

+ couplers included.

I could buy GoldCoast cars cheaper but that was while I was in US for business or vacation. If I had to get them by mail, the price would be at least 30% higher for me than what Lok-n-roll asks for them now...
And, of course, German 19% VAT is better than Danish 25% VAT + $30 fee for nothing to the Danish post.
j p

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:32 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Unfortunately there is a price for low volume manufacturing. That's the simple reality.

Very much true, and that is also compounded by several small time makers here in the US retiring or passing on. Some of us younger TTer's need to learn how to make castings and such and step up to fill in the gaps here. Only then will serious progress be made for North American TT scale.
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

Postby TTTerrific » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:51 pm

CaTTwoman281 wrote:Very much true, and that is also compounded by several small time makers here in the US retiring or passing on. Some of us younger TTer's need to learn how to make castings and such and step up to fill in the gaps here. Only then will serious progress be made for North American TT scale.

I TOTTALY agree with CaTTwoman's assessment.

I'm working on it! I won't say at this time what the project is, but I'm doing my best to ramp up my modeling skills to produce stuff I would want on my proposed TT layout, and if I can efficiently produce extras for a reasonable price. I'll put them "out there." :wink:
TTTerrific

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models