Is it bad to not be interested in steam?

Re: Is it bad to not be interested in steam?

Postby CSD » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:41 pm

ConducTTor wrote:A nice new model of a steamer? :lol:

If you are going to get only one, that new BR 18 201 from Roco looks like it will be a real dream. I might have to break with the Czech prototypes to include it. The one with the digital sound module... Nice! A model like that could convert anyone!
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:46 pm

CSD wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:A nice new model of a steamer? :lol:

If you are going to get only one, that new BR 18 201 from Roco looks like it will be a real dream. I might have to break with the Czech prototypes to include it. The one with the digital sound module... Nice! A model like that could convert anyone!

Man, you seen the price of that thing? Holy cow....
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby areibel » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:10 am

Don't be tempted to turn to the dark side of steam! Next you'll be worrying if anyone will notice that your model has Walschaerts valve gear instead of Baker, or the sand dome only has two hatches instead of four. And you'll soon need glasses from counting all those rivets!
Just kidding, but I know where you're coming from. I grew up watching the Erie Lackawanna Railroad, and all I saw were those gorgeous gray and maroon diesels. I only saw a steam loco operate once over the line, and that was an excursion train that ran through in 1985 or so.. If I want to model it, I need diesels! I've developed an appreciation for steamers, but only owned one before I started modeling in TT. Then I had to do steam, that was pretty much all there was! I was able to get some of the few diesels that were available- Kemtron FA's, Gandy Dancer's mutant Alco and even one of the DD35 kits (still needs built, though). And a little later PVM came out with the power kits for the Lionels so things have gotten better. But if we get more diesels, the steamers will be relegated to excursions or shelf setters.
It's your railroad, do what you like!!
areibel

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:20 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Am I the only person who has no interest in steam power? Just curious because it seems like it. I do want to get at least one big steamer but in general I don't care for them. I almost feel like I'm committing a sin just by mentioning this........

ConducTTor, I think we need to have you checked to see if you have a soul.....
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:32 pm

Apparently I don't :( But if it makes you guys feel better, I do want the Roco BR 18 201 that CSD mentioned.

br_18_201.jpg

Oh btw CSD, the digital version is 444 Euro. Close to $700!!!!!
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:44 pm

I propose that we do a modified "Clockwork Orange" on ConducTTor, in that he is made to watch various videos of steam engines until he "converts."

Proposed video list:

"Last of the Giants" parts one and two, documentaries on the 4000 class 4-8-8-4s
"Eighty Four Forty Four" a UP produced documentary of the only locomotive never retired by a Class One Railroad, the FEF-3 class 4-8-4 #844/8444
"Steam Train" episode of Extreme Trains
"Riding the Rails" a Johnny Cash musical documentary on railroads, in particular that of steam trains, with a number of shots of him driving Sou. 4501 2-8-2
"Union Pacific's Clinchfield Challenge" The UP 3985 is disguised as a Clinchfield Railroad Challenger and used for a Santa Train. Watch for "Elvis" in the cab.

There are many, many other videos that could be used, these are just a few that could be used.
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:08 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:"Last of the Giants" parts one and two, documentaries on the 4000 class 4-8-8-4s

Seen it.

AngrySailor302 wrote:"Steam Train" episode of Extreme Trains

Seen it.

:crazy:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:24 pm

ConducTTor wrote:
AngrySailor302 wrote:"Last of the Giants" parts one and two, documentaries on the 4000 class 4-8-8-4s

Seen it.

AngrySailor302 wrote:"Steam Train" episode of Extreme Trains

Seen it.

:crazy:

Fine. I will dig through my train movie collection and start listing more of them. Something there will convert you, you savage :lol: .
AstroGoat760

Postby CSD » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:43 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Oh btw CSD, the digital version is 444 Euro. Close to $700!!!!!

I know, in Canadian dollars its close to $700 (wink). I have a bad habit of convincing myself I need things (particularly trains) before looking at the price. There is some kind of strange logic at work that makes perfect sense when entering the numbers of my credit card. For instance: if I was to buy only one steam locomotive then the entire steam engine budget could be spent as no more funding is required for other units. In the future if you had a desire for another steamer then the same logic could be used to suggest that the first one needs a friend. I tend to be a "bad?" influence when it comes to these things... That BR01.5 from Tillig might be a show piece too.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:52 pm

CSD wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:Oh btw CSD, the digital version is 444 Euro. Close to $700!!!!!

I know, in Canadian dollars its close to $700 (wink). I have a bad habit of convincing myself I need things (particularly trains) before looking at the price. There is some kind of strange logic at work that makes perfect sense when entering the numbers of my credit card. For instance: if I was to buy only one steam locomotive then the entire steam engine budget could be spent as no more funding is required for other units. In the future if you had a desire for another steamer then the same logic could be used to suggest that the first one needs a friend. I tend to be a "bad?" influence when it comes to these things... That BR01.5 from Tillig might be a show piece too.

Your logic is flawed. But so is mine :lol:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion