Iris Creek Valley RR

Re: Iris Creek Valley RR

Postby richardedmonds » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:45 am

Thanks Bill I like the RS1 as well, the one on the Iris Creek Valley turns up in photo's from time to time and the more I see them the more I want one in TT.I started to scratchbuild one a while back but as normal never got past the cab. Should be relatively easy to make one but I can't seem to get going these days.
richardedmonds

Re: Iris Creek Valley RR - the Alco RS1

Postby Arseny » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:09 am

railtwister wrote:The Alco RS1 was an interesting locomotive that was built from 1941 to 1960, one of the longest production runs for diesel locomotives. It was sold primarily to roads in the USA, but an export version was also built, which went to several foreign operators as well.

...including Russia.

The 6-axle version, RSD-1, was used in Russia due to lend-lease program and later, under the name Da.
68 pieces were used by Soviet railroads (2 pieces were sunk)

In 1947 it was copied in the USSR as ТЭ1 (TE1), 297 locomotives built.
Arseny

Postby Carsten » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:13 am

@Richard, I couldn't find our early conversation about the RS1. So far I remember it's built out of an etched fret made by Erik S. Nielsen motorized with Tillig parts e.g. trucks of the BR218. I don't own one.
Carsten

Postby richardedmonds » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:27 am

Thanks Carsten I remember that older conversation now. Does anyone else here know anything of this Erik S Nielsen etched fret
I have a sneaky feeling that it might be the one that 3smr here in England might be sitting on
richardedmonds

Postby Biased turkey » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:42 am

Thank you Carsten for posting the link.
That's a very inspiring layout.
Did Model Railroader ever published an article about TT scale layouts ?

Jacques
Biased turkey

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:02 am

Biased turkey wrote:Thank you Carsten for posting the link.
That's a very inspiring layout.
Did Model Railroader ever published an article about TT scale layouts ?

Jacques

I do not think Model Railroader ever did an article on a TT scale layout.

I have most of the issues from the 1950's and 1960's, back from when TT scale was in full swing in the USA, and I did not see any articles on TT scale layouts, but quite a few articles on TT scale products. During my 2009 vacation, we stopped at the NMRA headquarters and library in Chattanooga, TN; we brought Zeke with us and asked about any possible magazine issues with TT scale layouts in it, and nobody knew of any (there were a couple of people there familiar with TT scale), but they allowed us to check the archives with no layouts located, but plenty of ads and product reviews.

Model Railroader was a bit different back then, a fair portion was dedicated to scratchbuilding (quite a few issues had a section referred to as "Dollar Cars", where you could build a car using their plans for around $1 in parts and supplies) and prototype data.
There were not quite as many layout reviews as there are now, and some layouts that were featured back then would not pass now.

A modern, large TT layout in the US might be able to profiled in Model Railroader, but that remains to be seen.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby areibel » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:28 pm

I know MR did at least one, I remember reading about the Tomahawk Trail layout in an old issue- can't remember if it was the late 50's maybe? And I do remember a scratchbuilt TT loco was on the cover in 53 or 54, it won their monthly award. But they were pretty sparce on their TT coverage though, there was more in RMC.
areibel

Postby dileTTante » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:53 pm

Model Railroader September 1952 has a picture in 'Trackside Photos' of a TT layout in Elyria Ohio. I spent much of the day looking through my old MRs because I remember another photo of a layout from Germany in an issue from a later year. I couldn't find that one, maybe because I gave some issues of MR to a friend. And maybe if I had found it the layout would be HO or something.

In July 1993 Model Railroader there's the article 'Is TT on the Rebound?' about Tillig's attempt to get into U.S. market, familiar to all, I'm sure.

March 1994 MR has an article 'Resourceful Russian Modelers' which shows both HO and TT, but the article is mostly about the challenges of modeling under the circumstances there.
dileTTante

Postby Carsten » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:47 am

October 2013:

Carsten

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:31 pm

^^^ there, fixed it for you ;)
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin