iris creek gp 38

Re: iris creek gp 38

Postby Marquette » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:46 pm

I don't think the prices can be ascribed to exchange rates, especially if what Ben says is valid, that they're selling them primarily to their own small group. Especially when, as areibel says, these are likely resin copies of previously-made models. If they'd made completely new masters, then *maybe* I could say, okay, they put all the work into it, they can charge some extra.

If I had the money I *still* wouldn't pay these prices they ask, because it's just much too ridiculous.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:24 pm

scaro wrote:Yes, it's expensive but it's partly due to the unfavourable $US/Euro exchange rate, which can hardly be blamed on the Germans.

Um, negative. I'll use the GC wagons as an example since there no unknowns to speculate on.

A week ago the rate was 1.49 USD = 1 Euro. A GC wagon costs $30 which = 20.13 Euro. These guys are selling them for 50 Euro. Difference of 30Euro. Insured shipping from Germany to US is 26 Euro for a package under 1 kilo so I will assume it's about the same from here to there. 10 wagons are EASILY under 1kg. So, when you do the math, they pay $300 for 10 wagons. They then pay about $40 for insured shipping. That's $340 or $34 per wagon. Then they sell them for 50 Euro - $75; more than 100% markup.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Zs12 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:22 pm

TTQuebec wrote:...but those prices, just... wow.

Yes, indeed! But I didn't want to discuss any prices ... :silent:

However, in Europe US-TT is just a very small niche - the only german US-TT SIG (ICV RR layout) I know consists of 7 members! Some of these members produce a small bunch of US-TT models (hand made) all above for their own. And everybody who want, (partly) can get this stuff too. Nobody must buy it. I'd like, but I also can't ... That's why I currently hope for Norkin-Model, his nice models are affordable. :roll:

TTQuebec wrote:The E7 that Iris Creek has is probably the body made by Union TT in the later 1990s to fit a Tillig chassis. I have no idea if it is available anymore, or even if Union TT is even around anymore.

The E7 Trans kit by Union TT was based on the Tillig BR 119/219/229 chassis. Where you have seen it? I just can find photos of the Tillig/Rokal preudo-FP7. Union TT itself still seems to exist, look here for Station 120.
Zs12

Postby scaro » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:30 pm

Mmm, Alex, you make a good point there.

However, what might be of use is an approach to whoever ran Union TT and the GP38 as they may precede the Siggis TT shop's involvement ? That would result in an E7 shell, but as for the GP38, it doesn't look that accurate to me and I suspect the TT Society's shell will be better, going on Mark4Design's other work.

But in one way, if all Siggis are doing is knock-offs of Lionels with low noses and GC wagons at outrageous prices, well, that's nothing much that anyone can't have now. Using PVM's mech, a $10 Lionel shell from ebay and a bit of kitbashing to lower the nose, any US modeller can equally have a low nose Geep. The bits are all available.

Ben
scaro

Postby Marquette » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:23 pm

lüTTe wrote:The E7 Trans kit by Union TT was based on the Tillig BR 119/219/229 chassis. Where you have seen it? I just can find photos of the Tillig/Rokal preudo-FP7. Union TT itself still seems to exist, look here for Station 120.

In around 1996 or 1997 I wrote letters to a bunch of TT manufacturers in Germany, including Union, to get catalogs; the E7 was in there. I haven't actually seen one in person, though I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one.
Marquette

Postby Zs12 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:34 am

TTQuebec wrote:I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one.

I would, becouse I've seen some photos in early german TTK editions that don't please me. :|

Most of the rolling stock you've seen on ICV RR layout photos you can find here. But the prices ... you know. :eh: Kits are also available there, but I don't know how much they cost.
Last edited by Zs12 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zs12

Postby Marquette » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:09 pm

Well, their prices are here http://www.modellbahnhof-geringswalde.de/html/allgem_info.html. They assemble each kit to order, the listed price is the completed unit. It also says that prices for kits are available on inquiry; I think I shall inquire. But here too, their prices are verging on the ridiculous. How do you justify a 5€ difference between a 40' and a 50' car? And if that 40' car is a GC car, 80€ is outright theft.

Re the E7: if it's a resin casting, and it has no holes, and the dimensions are right, then it doesn't matter: it can be fixed and detailed up.
Marquette

Postby Zs12 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:12 pm

TTQuebec wrote:How do you justify a 5€ difference between a 40' and a 50' car? And if that 40' car is a GC car, 80€ is outright theft.

I don't know, however we haven't many options here. :think:

TTQuebec wrote:Re the E7: if it's a resin casting, ...

Well, it should be some kind of plastic.
Zs12

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:44 pm

lüTTe wrote:I don't know, however we haven't many options here.

Why don't you guys buy direct from GC? Or through their ebay sales ($32)?
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Zs12 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:37 pm

Okay, I will test it soon.

It appears to me that some sub-sides of http://www.goldcoastrailway.com/ are offline. :?:
Zs12

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion